TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

TI's Mega Jungle (Resource) - Released!

Post by TheIdiot »

DOWNLOAD LINK for V1.0 (latest release)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xlqqppqp ... 0.zip/file

ORIGNAL POST BELOW

So I've been working back and forth between RTJP and Tres~HD, when I suddenly stumbled across that flora test level that I uploaded a screenshot of on the Beach HD thread. I'd totally forgotten about this and, after taking a good look at it, decided it shouldn't just sit around on my hard drive forever. While it's not quite finished or ready for release, I did do some more work on it, improving some textures and making new models. The result is probably my favorite jungle environment I've made so far (yes, all of the plant species are based on real-world flora):

Image Image

At the moment, the game is running somewhat laggy on CE (40 FPS), but I haven't even begun T-Scripting any of these objects yet so that will definitely improve once I set the Cull distances and such. I also apologize for the use of ReShade again, but I forgot to turn it off before starting the game and was too lazy to restart and disable it. :sick:
Alongside some new textures (most of which are really WIP as you can see by some of the blurry-looking trees) as well as the use of Beach HD's terrain textures, I've also gone and made a proper cliff tileset, with modular cliff and ledge pieces that can be connected to form sheer, 90 degree cliffs that are un-climbable and look awesome towering over you. Another advantage of proper cliff objects is the fact that you can avoid those ugly stretching terrain textures (an example of which would be the canyon walls in IJ) that are caused by steep terrain in Tres. I've been hoping for someone to make these kind of objects forever now and finally decided just to do it myself. Along with these, I also made a whole set of new rocks to match them, which look great when used to make them look more random and organic. A sneek peak of the cliffs:

Additionally, the plants on the ground you see are big, low-poly "groundcover" objects that function in a similar way to the grass in modern games, except that they must be placed manually, which really help to hide CE's only flaw at the moment which is limited quality of ground textures. Other than that, I haven't really touched the fog settings much, and am temporarily using the Beach HD settings along with the same level's CE sky in the level - these will be modified at a later date for the best possible atmosphere. The level itself will eventually be released as a modder's resource so that you guys can use this stuff in your own levels, as well as see an example of how these objects can be used to create realistic yet object-light rainforest environments. At the moment it looks distinctly like an Asian rainforest to me, but I'll definitely be making more plants before it is released to accommodate a similar environment to Isla Nublar/Isla Sorna.

And before you say "Dang nabbit TI, not another of your big, lifetime-devouring projects!", I'm going to release this by the end of next week regardless of how complete it is. I want to get something simple out there since my other projects are so huge. So if I DON'T upload it by next Saturday, feel free to PM me until I do. :P

More to come very soon!
Last edited by TheIdiot on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: TI's Mega Jungle (Resource) - Release November 18th!

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds great! Too bad I won't be able to play it .. :?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Sounds great! Too bad I won't be able to play it .. :?
I feel you, man. :cry: Do you have perhaps a USB stick that you can temporarily download files to from another computer to keep with you? That way whenever you log onto a public computer or a friend's, you'll be able to keep the files with you. Like a portable hard drive sort of thing.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And take the demo version of Trespasser (with CE included) in it... that way you can play it from the USB.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tried that at the library comp.. didn't work >_>
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Tried that at the library comp.. didn't work >_>
How about an ATX standalone? I've used ATX in a portable format before. No such luck with CE though. The one from JPDS worked pretty well.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Did you configure CE so that it would read an .ini file instead of the registry values?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haven't tried CE.. we'll see
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Welp. The day has come: I promised to release this today, and that's going to happen...but there are a few drawbacks: no physics or proper T-Scripts yet. You get everything in the above image - ground textures, fog settings, flora, rocks and all. The ground textures are the same that will be used in Trespasser HD, and some of them are also present in RTJP! I have also included the custom sky file and textures as well as the HD textures I have so far for CE. You are free to use anything in this level as you want - it's a community resource, though if you intend to do something with these OTHER than Tres, please ask me beforehand!
Enjoy! :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pjjvqjpbm ... e_V0.1.zip

THINGS TO NOTE IN 0.1:
I have not given anything physics or T-Scripts yet! You are free to do this yourself, but I would be very grateful if there were someone willing to do the scripting for everything consistently as I have very little time these days. IF you want to use these objects with their final coding and physics once someone else or myself gets around to that, I'll post a tutorial on how to re-import with everything attached.
Making an area with the same density as in this level is highly likely to lag your game without Culling values!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looks nice! :|
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Wow, TI. The level looks amazing! When I first loaded it up, the foliage took my breath away :o . It really looks like some place in Vietnam or Cambodia. Later I added some jungle sound effects and it makes the dense forest feel even more ominous. You can bet that I'm going to use those modular cliff faces for some future levels someday! :mrgreen:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Wow, TI. The level looks amazing! When I first loaded it up, the foliage took my breath away :o . It really looks like some place in Vietnam or Cambodia. Later I added some jungle sound effects and it makes the dense forest feel even more ominous. You can bet that I'm going to use those modular cliff faces for some future levels someday! :mrgreen:
Ah, completely forgot to add sound triggers...derp. If you DO use the objects, perhaps wait until someone manages to give everything physics (which will likely be me) so that you can keep the objects consistent with other levels. :)
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: TI's Mega Jungle (Resource) - Released!

Post by Blapeuh »

So i haven't been following much on here for the past year, but reading back and seeing these great projects reminded me how great this community is. Well done sir.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Still need to see this lev..
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I'm amazed that this is trespasser