Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Re: World Trade Center in Trespasser CE

Post by hppav »

Oh yeah. That floor I started work on is only the bottom dark band of the crown of the building.

Did some updates. Added in some normal maps to the exterior walls and the floor of the plaza and gave the tridents and mechanical floors a darker texture for the face of the raised portions to match the references I've found. Gives the mechanical floor bands a more defined look.

This is as far south as Tres will show both towers. Framerate is kinda low from this distance, but the towers look pretty good.

Another shot, closer to the towers but still to the southwest. Would look great with other buildings around it, eh?

EDIT: Made a new Tres CE 1024X1024 WTC 3 texture, which looks considerably better than the original.

EDIT 2: BIG update for the plaza. Made a new WTC 6 texture, made the Sphere and fountain, and the Ideogram sculpture.

This is my favorite angle from photos that I've seen. This angle is also used in Armageddon for the New York meteor shower scene.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

More updates to the Austin J. Tobin Plaza. Added in the lamp posts and benches. Also a new video which gives you a better sense of scale than the last one I think.

Plaza from above

Anne besides The Sphere. The Sphere is 22 feet high in real life. I believe I have that about right here in the plaza. This isn't the best angle of the Sphere at all, I kinda cheaped out on it due to the fact that it had a lot of geometry and I didn't want to spend a lot of polygon budget on it...

EDIT: And now I've got a new antenna for WTC 1. Still no roofs just yet, that's the next thing on the list. But the antenna makes it feel way more authentic.

EDIT: Roof for WTC 1 is largely done. Mainly details like the smaller antennas, the stairs leading down, the exhausts for the kitchen of Windows on the World, satellite dishes, and things like that. That small square with the 15 on it was a helipad that was placed there when the tower was built but wasn't used and eventually antennas were built over it. In 1993 the NYPD tore down the antennas so they could use the helipad to perform rooftop landings, which upset the FDNY. Afterwards antennas were once again rebuilt over the helipad. On 9/11 the only part of the roof not covered in thick smoke was the northwest corner which happened to have the automatic window washing machine stuck on the turntable.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OMG... that's really amazing.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I know, right? Considering the instability that vanilla Trespasser had with the old version of the level without any physics at all.

Here's some updates. I redid the plaza signs and did some work to the WTC 1 lobby.

This last picture shows the Fire Control Center panels, which are Cerberus MXLV panels. Cerberus got bought out by Siemens in the mid 90s. I had to piece together these panels using two photographs of the units by Siemens and then modify them around a photograph of the panels in the actual towers.

The terrain bleed-through is because I haven't yet converted the heightmap generated terrain to TRR then converted that to WTD. Once I do that the terrain will be below floor level.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

That certainly is an interesting story, hadn't heard of it before.

I've gone and converted the terrain to TRR and back into WTD to get rid of the errors. Also I've constructed a working revolving door for the lobbies. Here's a test video:

And here's a screenshot of the Revolving Doors located at the West Street entrance for WTC 1.

EDIT: Now I've done the carport, the vestibule, and the tinted windows for this side. The tinted windows improve the visuals so much that I can't believe this is Trespasser :lol:

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Very nice!! That door is def. a new thing for Trespasser..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

hppav wrote:Also I've constructed a working revolving door for the lobbies. Here's a test video:

Ages ago I made a revolving door, it's in one of my (unreleased) test levels...

EDIT: found it
Spoiler: show
TPass009.jpg
TPass009.jpg (141.27 KiB) Viewed 10681 times
TPass010.jpg
TPass010.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 10681 times
Once the video finishes uploading, you can see it here:

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This just keeps getting more awesome, hppav. The antenna really brings it to life. What is your framerate like walking around the WTC plaza? Also curious if you plan on including a working elevator that can take you to the modeled floors... :)

Can I ask what the errors you were getting with the terrain were before exporting? I'm having some issues with RTJP's terrain myself right now and am still hunting for a fix.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:This just keeps getting more awesome, hppav. The antenna really brings it to life. What is your framerate like walking around the WTC plaza? Also curious if you plan on including a working elevator that can take you to the modeled floors... :)
It's more fun if you need to take the stairs... :wink:

Now seriously... it's not easy to make working elevator buttons, that's the problem.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

TheIdiot wrote:This just keeps getting more awesome, hppav. The antenna really brings it to life. What is your framerate like walking around the WTC plaza? Also curious if you plan on including a working elevator that can take you to the modeled floors... :)
Framerate is pretty decent considering the amount of detail there is. I figure it'll go up even more once I put occlusions in the towers themselves. All that has occlusions are the plaza buildings, the lobbies, and a flat occlusion object beneath both roofs. So that means that at all times Tres is rendering all four sides of both towers (4X Mechanical Floors, 4X Mech Floor Corners, and 6X Main Tower meshes). Surprised I haven't needed them quite yet, considering how bad the framerate was in vanilla Tres in the early alpha version of this level with no physics objects at all and before I made the tower occlusions in that level.

Still brainstorming how I'm going to do it. Currently the only floor that'll be included in the first release will be the indoor Observation Deck on floor 107 in WTC 2. This floor has two express elevators that connects to it. I plan on having one take up up from the Elevator Hall at Plaza Level and the other take you down to the Main Lobby on Concourse Level, which is how it worked from what my research is telling me.
TheIdiot wrote:Can I ask what the errors you were getting with the terrain were before exporting? I'm having some issues with RTJP's terrain myself right now and am still hunting for a fix.
Mainly that the terrain was bumpy and not matching what was in TresEd. I use gmax so I had to rig up a TRR exporter for it based off of machf's TRR exporter for Max and the TPM exporter. It's somewhere on this board.

Anyway, I jumped back up to the roofs for a bit for a quick change of scenery. Good thing about this project is that if I get bored of doing one thing, I can jump to another place and keep it interesting :lol: That's why this is actually going forward at a comparable breakneck pace for me :P . Now I've made the base roof for WTC 2 and the outdoor observation deck. The only parts with physics up here right now is the floor of the observation deck. Also without other buildings/backdrops the view sucks :lol: But hey, lots of people said the view of the other tower was what was most impressive.

The roof still needs radio/tv/satellite equipment, the raised helipad in the middle, the maintenance entrance below the south side of the observation deck, and a few other details. This area will really come alive when I get the pulsing red lights on WTC 2 and the bright white flashing light on the top of the antenna of WTC 1.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Framerate is pretty decent considering the amount of detail there is. I figure it'll go up even more once I put occlusions in the towers themselves. All that has occlusions are the plaza buildings, the lobbies, and a flat occlusion object beneath both roofs. So that means that at all times Tres is rendering all four sides of both towers (4X Mechanical Floors, 4X Mech Floor Corners, and 6X Main Tower meshes). Surprised I haven't needed them quite yet, considering how bad the framerate was in vanilla Tres in the early alpha version of this level with no physics objects at all and before I made the tower occlusions in that level.
Not too bad then! If you do some hardcore culling you may be able to keep it above 15 (which to me is the point at which the game begins to get a bit too rough). Regarding the occlusion objects, I suggest that you do some kind of preliminary test to make sure they do their job, because from what I've seen the occlusion objects barely work at all in CE. :cry:
Still brainstorming how I'm going to do it. Currently the only floor that'll be included in the first release will be the indoor Observation Deck on floor 107 in WTC 2. This floor has two express elevators that connects to it. I plan on having one take up up from the Elevator Hall at Plaza Level and the other take you down to the Main Lobby on Concourse Level, which is how it worked from what my research is telling me.
You might be best off to just do a simple teleport up there then, especially if it's only two levels that the elevators went to. Just hit a button, wait an appropriate amount of time, and then teleport. Unless the elevators have windows to the outside like the CN Tower in Toronto, but I assume that's not the case.

Anyway, the roof is looking great. Would love to quickly import a thin wire object and try out the infamous tightrope walk between the towers once the level comes out... :wink:
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by KillerBee256 »

I wonder how much of NYC could you add before you give the trespasser engine a heart attack?
Fear the frog....