Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

wibloo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Mac-computer doesn't save progress

Post by wibloo »

Hello!

I used to play the game when I was little, so I have the CD but I cant use it since I currently have a Mac (I also think the CD didnt work on a windows either when I tried a few years back). Anyway, today I managed to download the game and get it up and runnig. The problem is that nothing saves, I came kind of a long way into the game several times but there´s just nothing there when I restart and try to load.

And yes I´ve clicked save hundreds of times during the gameplay, although nothing seems to happen. I have to hold down Escape in order to ever see the menu... Seems like it doesnt work. Anyone have any idea how to get this to work?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Mac-computer doesn't save progress

Post by tatu »

I don't have any experience with Mac computer. It does sound like your game doesn't write the savefiles when you press have, have you made sure you have the rights to do that to the folder (don't know how it works on Mac).

As for the Escape bug, that's a problem with modern computers I believe. You should try to see if you can run the game with the ATX patch or even the CE patch, and that should fix it.

ATX: http://www.trescom.org/patches/
CE: viewtopic.php?p=114129#p114129
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Sounds like you are just clicking save and not actually getting to the menu. You need to press the space bar when you click on it. If you wanted to, you could also click escape really fast and that will leave the screen up without holding it. But this takes a few tries.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh right, and remember you need to name the save before saving!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
wibloo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by wibloo »

Wow thank you guys! :) I downloaded the ATX-file (I tried a couple of times yesterday but it only said not compatible with a mac). I managed to download something from app store that "un-archived" the file, and it seemed to be working!

I started the game just now, and it said something like "the last time you ran this program it was unstable. Do you want to play it in stable mode now?" And I clicked yes. This time I managed to get to the menu without holding down Escape (when I tried clicking fast like one of you said) but on the other hand I couldnt save because the write-section was closed...

And also there was no sound this time in the game? Really weird. Thanks for the help, this seems pretty hard x) Any more advice please? :)
wibloo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by wibloo »

Okay wow, now everything works! The sound was simply cause the settings had changed, so I just turned it back on. And the un-able-to-write-to-save was also fixed. Didnt get it that you just had to start writing, thought I had to highlight where it said "save".

So now its all good! Wow, really thank you guys :) Gonna play this game now, love it! :D
tatu

Post by tatu »

Good to hear you manage to get it working :D

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

wibloo wrote: I started the game just now, and it said something like "the last time you ran this program it was unstable. Do you want to play it in stable mode now?" And I clicked yes.
That's a safeguard, if the game crashes, next time it will ask you if you want to use minimum configuration instead. I usually answer "no" because it changes my settings...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Vesiapina
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Vesiapina »

Can you please tell me how did you get the game work on a Mac? I'd like to play it too! :)
With Trespasser, you can!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'm guessing it's a Mac but running Windows...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
wibloo
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by wibloo »

Vesiapina wrote:Can you please tell me how did you get the game work on a Mac? I'd like to play it too! :)
I downloaded it from http://shadowofthemac.com/. It came with shitloads of adware but I managed to get rid of all of it in a day so it wasnt that big a deal. I could erase a lot of the adware and the things that change your settings in the internetbrowser by hand, but some of it was hard to get rid of. So I downloaded a Malwarebyte and it fixed the rest.

But if you think its worth it going through all of this trouble so you can play Trespasser later on, do it :)

And no - its not a windowsrun Mac, just a normal mac. Well, not entirely normal, its old, dented and shuts itself off every 3 minutes if its not boiling hot... :mrgreen:
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

If you want to avoid adware and use open source programs, I can recommend "Wine", which is sort of a translator Windows <-> OS X/BSD/Linux. It runs Trespasser in software mode just fine. For hardware mode you would need the recent Trespasser CE patch.
Info on Wine for OS X: https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX and running Trespasser in Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27482