Newbie here

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: Newbie here

Post by bumblebeef »

I'm loving so far how much of a character John Hammond is in this... It's a really intimate game if you're even halfway invested in the JP universe. Which I assume y'all are if you're playing this game.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

bumblebeef wrote:I'm loving so far how much of a character John Hammond is in this... It's a really intimate game if you're even halfway invested in the JP universe. Which I assume y'all are if you're playing this game.
Yeah, Hammond's backstory really make everything complete. You should check out Jurassic Time if you really want to hear his story.

I have to mention however that the only problem with Hammond's story is that the timeline he describes in Trespasser doesn't match up with the movies (for example, it mentions the events of Jurassic Park occurring in August 1989, when it took place in either 1992 or 1993).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm... CE Engine and CE Patch...
"Trespasser Custom Edition" was a release by TheGuy several years ago (that really ought not to be used anymore - it uses an outdated ATX IIRC) and it's not really an engine.. It uses the ATX engine with a custom menu. Then again, maybe some text string values were changed, not sure.

Tres CE (by Lee) is a new engine compiled from updated source... I wouldn't call that a patch.

JPDS uses SMK cutscenes during gameplay. I'm not sure if that ATX AT was added to CE or not. I would have to take a look at JPDS again to see if other ATX AT's are used that haven't been mentioned here... For example, no idea if the alternate health system requires it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

"Trespasser Custom Edition" was a release by TheGuy several years ago (that really ought not to be used anymore - it uses an outdated ATX IIRC) and it's not really an engine.. It uses the ATX engine with a custom menu. Then again, maybe some text string values were changed, not sure.
Okay, I remember that now...it was similar to Tres Twilight, no?
JPDS uses SMK cutscenes during gameplay. I'm not sure if that ATX AT was added to CE or not. I would have to take a look at JPDS again to see if other ATX AT's are used that haven't been mentioned here... For example, no idea if the alternate health system requires it.
Not sure about the cutscenes, either...I don't think I triggered them last time I played. I know for a fact that the health system works fine however, though you can't see the HUD to determine your health, so it's back to the tattoo.
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

TheIdiot wrote:
bumblebeef wrote:I'm loving so far how much of a character John Hammond is in this... It's a really intimate game if you're even halfway invested in the JP universe. Which I assume y'all are if you're playing this game.
Yeah, Hammond's backstory really make everything complete. You should check out Jurassic Time if you really want to hear his story.

I have to mention however that the only problem with Hammond's story is that the timeline he describes in Trespasser doesn't match up with the movies (for example, it mentions the events of Jurassic Park occurring in August 1989, when it took place in either 1992 or 1993).
Yeah, from what I can tell it looks like it borrows from both movie and novel canon. In the novel the events in Jurassic Park occurred in August '89.
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

I am loving Mr. DNA on the gate in the Lab level.
Spoiler: show
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, from what I can tell it looks like it borrows from both movie and novel canon. In the novel the events in Jurassic Park occurred in August '89.
And Lost World was in, what, '94, I think? Whereas in Trespasser Hammond says that the hunters landed on May 13, 1997. I guess information relating to the dates and stuff wasn't readily available back when they made this.
Just realized he looks like a bunch of grapes in that picture. :lol: There are so many fun little details like that in Tres and you're always discovering new ones.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
And Lost World was in, what, '94, I think? Whereas in Trespasser Hammond says that the hunters landed on May 13, 1997. I guess information relating to the dates and stuff wasn't readily available back when they made this.
The movie? No, it was in 1997.
Just realized he looks like a bunch of grapes in that picture. :lol: There are so many fun little details like that in Tres and you're always discovering new ones.
You should enable 256-pixels textures (Max Recommended Tex Dim set to hex $100 in the registry instead of $80 which is 128) and it will look much better.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Err, I meant the book takes place in '94, the film in '97. :sick:
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
You should enable 256-pixels textures (Max Recommended Tex Dim set to hex $100 in the registry instead of $80 which is 128) and it will look much better.
Where do I go in the registry for this? Thanks!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser

Set "Max recommended Tex Dim" to 0x00000100 (256)
And while you're at it, set "Z Buffer Bitdepth" to 0x00000020 (32)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
Err, I meant the book takes place in '94, the film in '97. :sick:
Yes, Trespasser was supposed to follow the movie (TLW), but regarding JP, it takes dates from the novel, rather...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Okay, I remember that now...it was similar to Tres Twilight, no?
Definitely its predecessor, yes.
Not sure about the cutscenes, either...I don't think I triggered them last time I played. I know for a fact that the health system works fine however, though you can't see the HUD to determine your health, so it's back to the tattoo.
Opening up JPDS~plains and walking forward a few seconds would reveal whether it works... Tasha freezes and an overlay-text runs just before the cutscene is supposed to play.
Loss of the HUD is not cool, tho it was always optional for players. Its lack may make it hard to realize when certain conditions are making you slowly lose (or gain) health.

With the timeline, yeah. Tres uses a book timeline for JP1 events. Kinda awkward.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Opening up JPDS~plains and walking forward a few seconds would reveal whether it works... Tasha freezes and an overlay-text runs just before the cutscene is supposed to play.
I checked it out (tried the cutscenes in the helicopter at the start of Streams) and they didn't play, unfortunately. Don't know if it's due to a different filesystem in CE or what.
Loss of the HUD is not cool, tho it was always optional for players. Its lack may make it hard to realize when certain conditions are making you slowly lose (or gain) health.
If there's ever a JPDS 2.0 (or something), it might be nice to give auditory or visual indications when Tasha is taking disease damage. I tended to play with the HUD off on ATX and I would constantly forget that I was dying of sickness. Maybe just the occasional text reminder or sound of Tasha coughing could work - I'm using the latter in RTJP and it works excellently. :wink:
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

machf wrote:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser

Set "Max recommended Tex Dim" to 0x00000100 (256)
And while you're at it, set "Z Buffer Bitdepth" to 0x00000020 (32)
Awesome, thanks! Looks a lot better.

Once I play the original game through, I'm definitely interested in trying some of the custom levels that are out there. Are there any guides for installation, all of that?