Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Post by madppiper »

@hppav: I had the same problem, which is why images are lacking from the news update. Also a reason why this update didn't happen sooner - i was stuck trying to fix it, but alas I am incapable. Perhaps somebody can step in and fix that?

:)
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by vagrantart »

Quickest and easiest fix,open the level in the editor and it works.Go to bin64 (or 32 if your pc is 32) and start the Editor application the load then level.You still have to install the level first by unzipping the file and placing the folder "techdemo1" in gamesdk>Levels.

Gave it a try myself,really does feel like the trespasser demo brought to life but it crashed within a minute even just turning the view in editing mode and on lowest settings with vegetation disabled. .Not familiar with this version of Cryengine (looks pretty updated to version I'm using) so not sure what the issue is.
Last edited by vagrantart on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I don't mean to be mean, but to me this seems like a pretty bad tech demo. When I figure out how to load it up I start and find myself facing this:
Spoiler: show
Unless you're already experienced with the engine you won't be able to fix these problems on your own. Besides what seems to be missing textures, there seems to be strange lighting (look at that brightly lit square on the mountain), and most of all a depth of field which makes the game look worse than Trespasser at 512x384. The blur ultimately prevents me from viewing any awesome landscape - all I see is blur, bloom, and more blur. The game lags often and crashes occasionally. Pretty poor performance for 512x384.

Now most of these issues are probably easily fixed. But as a "Tech Demo" this is a blunt failure. Talking about how to reduce the vegetation to reduce lag in the demo isn't going to help me install the thing. Forcing interested developers to learn how to fix the game is a poor way to show how great the game is.

By comparison, this would be like if instead of making Half Life 2 Lost Coast valve released their own private test level, filled with experimental, buggy, unoptimized, self destructive, half-finished, and missing assets and before they even knew what they had they slapped it on a plastic news post and sold it as a last attempt toward redemption.

The original Trespasser demo was far better.

*end hyper extreme depressing criticism*

Ultimately though the content itself is probably fine, it's just that s13n1 needs to learn how to properly publish his releases. If he wanted to release this just for the purpose of releasing his CryEngine content before restarting with Unity, then that would be fine. But this isn't that. This is a specially made demo level meant to show off, and you s13n1 will probably be able to port most of your assets to Unity anyways.

I would blame whoever posted this on the TresCom news for hyping this to be something greater than it actually is (it's also stupid how it asks those who have never used the engine to make an install tutorial rather than asking the guy who made the game), but then again s13n1 also went to talk about the demo in his blog. Perhaps this release was a little stunt meant to attract more support for his game, but so far this demo seems to be doing anything but. Perhaps if he spent more time polishing it, he might have achieved that.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

@awesome24712:

I think you are misjudging the contribution. I also had problems getting the package to run, which is why i asked for support on the news feed. That doesn't diminish the effort put into this - the models, landscape or overall settings. It must have taken months to complete this and I think he did a fantastic job. Mind you, it can always be that he forgot to include a file, or similar. In the end, I am glad for anybody contributing some of his work and this was quite the effort, so I am treating it with the respect i think it deserves... ;)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Yes I know weeks of good hard work was put into this by many people. I'm just surprised that he's spent years on this project and then when it finally comes to release a demo he can't take the time to make install instructions or have someone test it before making a general public release. The failure to properly publish it puts all that great work to shame.

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

The crash and freeze issues I'm getting aren't from optimisation issues I don't think,it's something not connecting or missing and sure it wasnt released with this issue.The spawning underwater is either caused by there being no spawnpoint added or its broken (had that issue in my own level),maybe this was intended to be played in the editor only so one wasn't added.EDIT-I noticed if you read s13n1's site it says he used 3.5.7...I tried playing it with 3.5.8 so probably the issue right there.

Tried it and it's still freezing up,maybe a bit less but still not playable sadly,intrested to find out what the issue is since I might face the same thing with my own level (I was planning on sharing the sdk folder and the level so hopefully it wont be missing any connections but will be a big download.)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Working two jobs 14 hours a day 6 days a week leaves me little time for this project.
I'm working my arse off to save for a wedding and holiday next year.

I've got an hour before my next job, so ill clarify a few things.

It took me 6 hours to make that tech demo level, which was released early, and lacks any new content, because my programmer pulled out due to Cryengine being a pain to use and learn. Terribly sorry about that.

Ample instructions were provided to get it working, the only issue i can imagine might be directory structure related, due to differences between 32bit and 64bit machines. Not hard to fix if that's the case.

I haven't read all the comments on this page, or any on previous pages.

This project is on hold indefinitely, and if i decide to continue working on it when i have more time, there will be no further updates here, or on the blog.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

s13n1 wrote: Ample instructions were provided to get it working, the only issue i can imagine might be directory structure related, due to differences between 32bit and 64bit machines. Not hard to fix if that's the case.
Ample instructions were NOT provided. The blog post was merely about:
The Tech Demo level is not up yet, but i thought i would post some tips for improving performance for those who don’t have very fast machines.
So how to fix it once you once you get it open in the editor. But what is the editor and how do I get it all in the right places? Let's ask the TresCom news page for some guidance, which just said:
For installation, follow s13n1′s instructions on his own website. The tech demo requires the Cry Engine, which is available free of charge here.
So isn't that rather nice. Nowhere does it actually say how to install anything - only how to improve performance once you already have it installed. The download itself didn't contain any readme to guide me. All I had was this .zip and that one, and I had to find out where to put it all. Where do it put it? What program do I even run? What are all these folders for? Anyone without decent computer experience would have a hard time doing it. This is rather contradictory to the purpose of releasing a tech demo.

And again I agree that the content itself is probably top-notch and amazing. Yes real life always invades into our internet lives. But we who have no experience with the engine just needed some install instructions and maybe a playtester before hand to get it working. The content isn't bad, just poorly published, untested, and overhyped.

But in all honesty I still love all the progress that has been made. As poorly published as the demo was this project still shows real potential. If this is your dream s13n1 then don't let some prick like me convince you otherwise. Don't be afraid to succeed.

Post benchamrks:
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

@awesome24712:

I still don't understand where the hostility is coming from. I think you made your point that you were disappointed with what was handed to you, point taken . We all have busy lives and have to make amends for it. s13n1 has come quite close to delivering what you asked off of him, but he is no one-man-army. So perhaps we should all rather ask ourselves how we can be of support to him?

In addition, it is still possible that I have added to the confusion. Maybe I overlooked something?!
tatu

Post by tatu »

I agree with madppiper, why the hostility? If you want a tutorial, why not ask? This isn't anything you have paid money for, and is all fan made, no reason to be hostile about it.

Why not ask our fantastic community for help how to get it running instead of attacking s13n1?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Problem semi-solved (for me), I ran the 32 version editor rather than 64 (even though my comps 64)there is still a little stalling and framerate issues but nothing compared to before.
The install instruction I said above still work- stick the techdemo1 folder in game sdk>levels then play in 32>editor
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I was making constructive criticism over an issue that nobody seems to have noticed. If it took 6 hours to make the demo then what's another 15 minutes to write install instructions?

I'm all for helping s13n1. I'll even make some diffusemaps, bumpmaps, ssbumpmaps, specularmaps, glossmaps, and blendmaps or whatever if he asks for some sometime. I would have just preferred that he asked for our help before making a hyped general public release.

So in good will here's some quick and dirty install instructions I've made:
Spoiler: show
1. Download CryEngine here, put it inside its own folder wherever you have space: http://www.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4
2. Extract the .zip into that folder.
3. Download the level here and put it in YourCryEngineFolder/GameSDK/Levels/Singleplayer : http://www.trescom.org/download/downloa ... hDemo1.rar
4. Extract the level's .zip into that folder.
5. Navigate to YourCryEngineFolder/Bin32 or YourCryEngineFolder/Bin64 depending on what setup you have, then from that folder run Editor.exe
6. On the top left go to file>open and navigate to the level's folder and open the appropriate file.
7. If you run into performance issues refer to s13n1's performance guide on his blog: http://trespassingpetrolia.com/2014/06/ ... evel-info/

Post benchamrks:
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

Great - i updated the website with your instructions :)
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

awesome24712 wrote:I was making constructive criticism over an issue that nobody seems to have noticed. If it took 6 hours to make the demo then what's another 15 minutes to write install instructions?
Hey awesome24712 great work on that tutorial :) .

There is no problem with constructive criticism, everyone needs it, the thing is the way you lets say "present it" it comes off at least to anyone reading as really aggressive, that's all.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well I am a little late to the party it seems but I just wanted to congratulate you, s13n1, on all the work you've done since this thread began. It was all coming together very nicely, and you obviously put a ton of work into it. But it seems you've found a higher priority in life and, by the sounds of it, we're not going to see anything more of this mod. :? The PV Curse strikes again.