Improved Sound Of Promo & Complete Trespasser Soundtrack

Discuss and analyze Bill Brown’s score for Trespasser.

Moderators: scallenger, TresCom Board Managers

scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Improved Sound Of Promo & Complete Trespasser Soundtrack

Post by scallenger »

I know, this came out of nowhere. But I had to do this in order to KNOW I was making my other project, new versions of Jurassic Time, with the absolute best quality possible of the music. So I went through my original Trespasser music files and made an interesting discovery: a different sound format version of the promo Bill Brown gave me, in .m4a format, had better overall sound quality than ANY of his tracks released from his website (the main source of my previous edit). To the average person it won't be a substantial difference, but it something I couldn't ignore. On top of that, my old complete soundtrack edit I had only ever saved in MP3, which automatically degrades all of the edits I had made to make it more "listenable". So, using Bill's original promo as a main source for quality, I went back through EVERY single track and deciphered the best way to edit them to make them sound as good as they possibly could while being as COMPLETE as I possibly could. Meaning the endings feel less abrupt, tracks don't bump into each other, etc.

So now there are three new ways to listen to this score. The original promo from Bill Brown in it's ORIGINAL sound quality (before it I had an MP3 version which apparently was degraded in comparison, probably sourced from these files). My complete edit in both an MP3 version and a FLAC (lossless) version that preserves the sound quality of all the edits I have made.

Apart from that, it's almost the exact same set as before in terms of actual music content. I rearranged a couple tracks that I thought would go better elsewhere in the track order. The only true "new" bit of music is the full version of the "Monolith" source music, which is actually known as "Overture- Atmospheres" by composer Gyorgy Ligeti. The tracklist for my complete edit reflects the new changes, and the display back cover has been changed, for the time being at least, to just have a trackless back cover (my mind is more focused on other things before trying to redo that, which I never really liked what I did for that anyway).

So, DOWNLOAD it here! All the links have been updated to download only the new versions. Enjoy, and tell me how you think it sounds now! Many may not feel too differently about it, which is why I am not making a big deal about this, haha. But I spent a lot of time on this for Jurassic Time and of course had to share it with all of you! :)
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Improved Sound Of Promo & Complete Trespasser Soundtrack

Post by RexHunter99 »

I noticed the difference, it's why I rage when my favorite artists don't release their audio on bandcamp and instead use soundcloud because soundcloud only supports MP3 (if it has a download at all) and I prefer FLAC (Or ALAC if necessary) the quality is definitely noticeable if you have a decent set of headphones or earphones and my Creative Labs headset really brings out the quality in the lossless/HQ stored medias.

My audio library has gotten to the stage where I have more FLAC files than MP3 and Windows doesn't treat FLAC as a music format where as Debian based Linux distros do so I find myself in Linux more and more often due to this alienation.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Awesome! I'm glad you appreciated it! Did you notice anything amiss? And how much better does it sound now compared to the previous set? Night and day?
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

scallenger wrote:Awesome! I'm glad you appreciated it! Did you notice anything amiss? And how much better does it sound now compared to the previous set? Night and day?
Like you said, it's subtle and to the untrained ear the difference is negligable, but I could definitely pick up on the sharper tones and pitches which I appreciate, comparing the two (I downloaded the MP3 and FLAC for archiving purposes, like machf does with images) I could clearly tell the difference.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Awesome, then it was all worth it. :D
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

On listening to my complete edit again in the car, I noticed one track in-particular that I somehow messed up on and didn't catch a lousy edit of it. On top of that, upon trying to make a better edit for it, I realized the promo actually featured a couple notes or so that had been cut off of the website version I had attempted to make a clean opening for! So I did some other fancy edit instead on just the promo track, and I think I made it work while removing the crossfade that had been there

I don't have time to re-upload the entire soundtrack packages right now with the updated track, and I doubt people would want to re-download the whole set if they got it already for just one track, so for a week or two I will have this file up of just the fixed track in both MP3 and FLAC. I will update the two soundtrack packages tomorrow. Sorry, people.

http://www.trescom.org/hosted/scallenge ... cement.zip
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

UPDATE: Both MP3 and FLAC versions have been re-uploaded with the fixed replacement track. I'll still keep the single download of the fixed replacement track in the post above for a week or so, just in case some of you already downloaded the set.