Update, October 2012

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Update, October 2012

Post by tatu »

Trespasser Reloaded, a project that only lived for a short time.

This project was first planned to only re-create the original Trespasser levels from whatever information we had on them but as time past by, it developed into something to created content so the whole island was playable and sort of open world.

However, I believe that would be to much and want to go back to re-create the original levels, since we have much more information now. This would be based on all information we have, from the early voice over scripts and walkthrough - to Build 96 and the final game.

This would require a lot of research and planning and there isn't much point starting this project again if no one is interested.

So I wonder, how many of you are still interested in this, and how many people want to help out?
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Update, October 2012

Post by RexHunter99 »

tatu wrote:Trespasser Reloaded, a project that only lived for a short time.

This project was first planned to only re-create the original Trespasser levels from whatever information we had on them but as time past by, it developed into something to created content so the whole island was playable and sort of open world.

However, I believe that would be to much and want to go back to re-create the original levels, since we have much more information now. This would be based on all information we have, from the early voice over scripts and walkthrough - to Build 96 and the final game.

This would require a lot of research and planning and there isn't much point starting this project again if no one is interested.

So I wonder, how many of you are still interested in this, and how many people want to help out?
If I have time, I would definitely re-join.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I would certainly be interested (been thinking about it for myself for quite a while now).

I was considering though, just fixing the original levels, perhaps add some things, and completely new swp/spz full of new textures, implement unused sounds, but we all know how the original levels are. . .

And with so many things going on. . . :sick:
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Would deflnetly be interested in helping with it, revive trespasser however we can.
Not done anything with trespasser for so long, be nostalgic also to do something with it.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

I don't have any TresEd skills at all, but if there's a way in which I could help, I would be definetly be interested in participating!
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

What would be the best way to do it is, start with a blank level, use the retail WTD files (or beta, whichever we prefer) and import basements, save, run the game, if it runs fine, back the level up as "##-Base" and work from there, what breaks levels the most is overpopulation, broken Triggers (there are some rules to making triggers) dinosaurs, guns and 24-bit textures cause havoc too.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Actually it's possible to fix stuff like broken triggers and heightfix etc in the retail level first, and after that is finished, you import everything into a new level. That way you don't have to import everything. Also, when the level is finished, you need to import everything into a new fresh one to removed unused objects and textures. That would also eliminate many problems that accure when you delete instances, cause objects like magnests getting bad. Most magnest which is currupted usally is for the guns and various doors etc.

I think we should go with the beta terrain, since they are most close to the original. Also some levels need to restore parts of their original terrain like the town, extending it to it's original size, but in that level we have the folige to go after.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

RexHunter99 wrote:What would be the best way to do it is, start with a blank level, use the retail WTD files (or beta, whichever we prefer) and import basements, save, run the game, if it runs fine, back the level up as "##-Base" and work from there, what breaks levels the most is overpopulation, broken Triggers (there are some rules to making triggers) dinosaurs, guns and 24-bit textures cause havoc too.
I was kind of doing that with that PV duplicate I was making. I'm considering just releasing what I have so far and giving it to someone else to finish. Most of the time when I port things over to retail and beta levels, each time I save in TresEd it seems like the retail/beta level slowly corrupts and things stop working properly and crashing the game, even when nothing was deleted. Eventually, the level just stops working. I had this happen with PV a few times. Saved the first couple of times, things worked fine, the next time after that, using TNEXT crashed the game. Then another time after that, the game crashed while loading. Some serious corruption. Though, it may have to do with replacing the T-Rex and Raptor skins, I doubt it. That's why the fix mod I did with the actual level files was never finished.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:I think we should go with the beta terrain, since they are most close to the original. Also some levels need to restore parts of their original terrain like the town, extending it to it's original size, but in that level we have the folige to go after.
Speaking of the town, would we recreate the Plains too, or just leave the town as it is?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

machf wrote:
tatu wrote:I think we should go with the beta terrain, since they are most close to the original. Also some levels need to restore parts of their original terrain like the town, extending it to it's original size, but in that level we have the folige to go after.
Speaking of the town, would we recreate the Plains too, or just leave the town as it is?
I'd like for us to split up the levels to be how they were originally intended, so end BE after the beach area, add PH between JR and IJ, Plains between IT/TO and PV, etc. A list:
BE
JR
PH
IJ
TO
PL
PV
SH
LAB
AS1
AS2
SUM

Ascent is just so friggen huge, it would need to be split up, OR part of AS1 can be in the end of LAB due to SH(Shore) comprising of the GeoPlant and the Harbor, therefore LAB would only have the Laboratory to explore, adding some climbing wouldn't be too far fetched.

Maybe if I can get Trespasser to compile in VS2010 and run without any issues, I can try and add a way to keep track of items Anne picks up and carries between levels, so she can take the floppy to the summit, OR we can script in some sort of event where she uploads it to a machine up there, downloads it to disk and then carries it to the helicopter. (Either way we need to have some way of storing the state of whether she did upload the data, or take the disk or not)
EpicZen
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

RexHunter99 wrote: Maybe if I can get Trespasser to compile in VS2010 and run without any issues, I can try and add a way to keep track of items Anne picks up and carries between levels, so she can take the floppy to the summit
But for that you'd require the same item to be physically present in every level...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

machf wrote:
RexHunter99 wrote: Maybe if I can get Trespasser to compile in VS2010 and run without any issues, I can try and add a way to keep track of items Anne picks up and carries between levels, so she can take the floppy to the summit
But for that you'd require the same item to be physically present in every level...
Ahhh the awesomeness of source-code... you can make a CInstance* static outside of world creation and deletion so when Anne carries an item in her hand/belt and the level ends, copy all the data pertaining to said item, when the new level loads, inject the item into the scene, hook it to Anne's hand/belt and carry on as usual :P that's why ATX wouldn't be a solution to the issue other than having some sort of configuration file that stores some custom variables for a custom ActionType.
EpicZen
tatu

Post by tatu »

I would suggest doing the levels in the order Rex wrote as they intended them to be like that. However, I don't think adding a part of AS into LAB is such a good idea, but we could add more puzzles to the LAB making it a more difficult level.

As for moving the floopy disc over several levels, I might actually know a script for that which I explain later. It will be something that was actually planed to be in JPDS. I will make a small level sometime soon showing what I mean.

I don't feel like we should wait for new fuction added to the source since that could take years before we have many new additions. First of all should be bug fixing and not adding new fuctions other than those already cut from it. Also, if we add to much functions just to make this remake, it would feel like another game and in that case we could just remake it in another engine, which other people is already working on. This project is mainly aimed to the engine we already have, and probably fixing more bugs and increase the stability of the game. Adding stuff like better graphic would requre us to remake every single texture and that would also remove the Trespasser feeling. Another thing is that we need to make sure that the retail and other fan levels still works and look like they should in-game with any changes made to the source.

So basicly this remake is aimed to the engine we already have, even with it's bugs and flaws.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:I would suggest doing the levels in the order Rex wrote as they intended them to be like that. However, I don't think adding a part of AS into LAB is such a good idea, but we could add more puzzles to the LAB making it a more difficult level.
Well, I've tried to get the capacitor puzzle working, I made some experiments with sockets to that end...
As for moving the floopy disc over several levels, I might actually know a script for that which I explain later. It will be something that was actually planed to be in JPDS. I will make a small level sometime soon showing what I mean.

I don't feel like we should wait for new fuction added to the source since that could take years before we have many new additions.
Oh, ye of little faith... I guess RH will feel offended by that. :wink:
First of all should be bug fixing and not adding new fuctions other than those already cut from it. Also, if we add to much functions just to make this remake, it would feel like another game and in that case we could just remake it in another engine, which other people is already working on. This project is mainly aimed to the engine we already have, and probably fixing more bugs and increase the stability of the game. Adding stuff like better graphic would requre us to remake every single texture and that would also remove the Trespasser feeling.
No, it wouldn't.
Another thing is that we need to make sure that the retail and other fan levels still works and look like they should in-game with any changes made to the source.
That's always been the first priority, so it isn't an issue.
So basicly this remake is aimed to the engine we already have, even with it's bugs and flaws.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

How do we even know Anne WANTS the floppy? To me it just sounds like the creative BS stuff Draco was known for and nothing more. Does the 1997 walkthrough mention it? If not, we shouldn't do it.

Also, I think I figured out where Hammond's Revolver 2 would have went. You know how you find a Ruger Redhawk in Hammond's Office in the Lab? Well what if it was supposed to go there instead of the Redhawk at one point?

Also, the Mextec Daggar was intended for a Mayan Altar according to Secrets.doc (which came with the source btw.) I was thinking of the altar in PV but they had the intended level labeled as "Ascent 1?"

Also, just as another note, there are a lot of max scripts that came with the source. Would be nice if we could use those some how. Remember, Trespasser wasn't just coded in C++, it was also built in 3D Studio Max. ;)

As for the Colonial weapons (the Antique Pistol and Antique Rifle) they probably belonged somewhere in PH since there was a colonial theme of sorts in that level. They either probably conained just one shot, or they were empty, sort of like the empty joke weapons Draco put in JPDS to piss people off.

Oh, btw for those of you who don't know, one of the Mystery Models in the second set given to us was the heightmap model for the Plains level. It's untextured unfortunately. Would be nice if someone could convert it to a WTD though. (and convert those other items as I need them for the TCRF article. Alternatively, I need PNG pictures of all the mystery models sent to me. Thanks.)