Landscape Assets List

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

There ya go:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/stuff1.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/stuff2.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/stuff3.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/stuff4.jpg

-4 jungle trees, ranging from small to huge
-3 cocos-palms
-8 gray rocks, 4 gray, 4 brown
-tree trunk
-piece of drifwood
-jungle log

Still have to create LOD meshes, billboards, create texture palettes etc.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Stuff looks real good, Rem. You could create the string (lod) models if you like, but I didn't use them in Tc and I probably won't use them here either. I especially like the jungle trees, nice diversity there. ;)

How many different palettes you figure we'll use on the landscape stuff? Just wonderin', want to keep an eye on the count this time around, try to keep palette count as low as possible. Not sure if it accounts for much, but dreamworks hadn't used more than 47 that I'm aware of for any one level; we should be able to match that --
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yep. I've used a single palette for the lighthouse, will create a single palette for the b29 and probably do the same with all models of the key locations. Will create one palette for all vegetation, we already got one for the terrain.

No, don't think we need that many palettes anyway...

I still wanna see what we can do with LOD meshes anyway, it should be possible to keep the blocky billboards far enough so that the texel are about the same size as the pixels on the screen.
The LOD meshes I'll be creating will be not as low detail as the ones in the original game. The palm trunks for example have 5 sides, but for an LOD mesh we can get away with just 3. Think 3 LOD levels are file; full detail mesh, low detail mesh, billboard. I'll just try it with the biggest jungle tree and one palm, see if it works out...

When I modeled these I kept all of the models in the same scene, I first created the palms and then the biggest jungle tree. Then I modeled models that would fit in between, from smaller plants to bigger trees.

Will also model some smaller jungle plants soon, some scrubs for rocky areas, some trees with thin, long roots for near the river. Models of small ferns, grass and twigs to fill the spaces between the underneath the trees.

Btw, I think I'll edit the terrain where the river meets the ocean, maybe make a tiny waterfall there, or at least a fast flowing, rocky stream. I think it was looking kinda weird like this...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Whatever you see as necessary, Rem, by all means do. Just in case it may have slipped your mind though, if you edit the terrain, use TresEd to do so since we can't import the terrain as a bmp file any longer. Doing so would mess up the cavern terrain area and I don't even want to try to redo that again.

Those long root trees near the water's edge banks sounds quite cool.

(In case you didn't catch the latest terrain.wtd)

http://www.trespasserextras.com/tcisleter.ZIP
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yup, got it.

Won't be using BMPs anymore, terrain editing in TresEd is easier than any method I've ever used. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I tend to agree. No doubt your painting process was much more involved and complicated than my own (only own paint shop pro), but importing the bmps destroys all of the smaller detail anyhoo. I like the editing tools Andres created, quite effective. :)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Few new items:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/stuff5.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/stuff6.jpg

Tree which can be used near the river and I think it would look nice to put some leaning over rocky slopes along the road up to the crater.

Plants, took some of the existing textures and updated them. Leafs are seperate objects so we can use the springplant script on em.

Coconut, even made one that could pop open when it hits the ground. 8)

Btw Rebel, that springplant script is just soo cool! People are gonna love this level!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hehehehe.... maybe you should rename your pics to coolstuff.jpgs.

Nice, man. Love that tree and that break on contact coconut is just oh so cool! 8)
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

breaking coconuts, coolstuff indeed :) Great models remdul.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Uploaded the models here:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom ... ies_v1.zip

I might make some subtle changes to em later (different texture, adding a branch here 'n there) but the overall shape of the models won't change much, so don't worry about intersecting models.

Feel free to start planting palms along the beaches Rebel. If any of us has edited the terrain write down the approximate coordinates so we can later check those area's for intersecting models.

GeomAdd crashed on me when I tried importing, probably related to the texture opacity maps. I though it was fixed in the latest version...anyhow try these and we'll know. Probably got my GeomAdd versions mixed up...

* Ps, Andres I think you forgot to update the version displayed in the GeomAdd title bar (says something like v0.1).
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Okeedok. I'll check this all out and get back to you, Rem. I won't alter the terrain any until you touch up your river outlet area, so once you've got that done, then upload your changes. It'll get too confusing if both of us attempt to do alterations at the same time.

btw, if you can supply me with the lighthouse path, I could also work out from that area as well.

*Geomadd crashes on me once in a while too, but it appears to be a sporatic event --
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Have to say Martijn, you did a great job on these trees, they look absolutely wonderful.. .. nice job! :)

Here's a pic for yah.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/trees.jpg

Going to take me a bit to get them set up, but once that's done, I'll import them into the basement of tc_isle and begin the process.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Looks quite good, auto-mipmapping does seem to be a problem eh? I'm not sure whether I got the scale of the models right but the trunk should be about ~2 meters wide at the base (the huge trees have sort of a streched, blurry texture btw but we can hide that with smaller plants). Tree seems kinda small in that pic but I think that's because we usually see blocky pixels at that distance (I assume the size of the models is used to determine the auto-LOD distance). :)

Uploaded the other terrain objects:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/terraobj2.zip

Includes all rock textures, and roads, waterfall. Some textures are older versions btw, couldn't update them because of the GeomAdd crash thing. I'll probably keep changing the terrain palette anyway until I got more terrain textures, so I'll upload them later.

* I noticed GeomAdd only crashes on my minilev I've been using. No prob actually, can port stuff to a fresh minilev. If you want I can upload this one Andres.

* Whoa, the fresh minilev seems to crash? I assume it should work in s/w mode?

* Never mind. I didn't replace minilev.wtd. Must have been corrupted? Strange...

* Argh! GeomAdd still crashes on a fresh minilev when importing the trees. Must be my machine...
Last edited by Remdul on Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Actually, I think you've got the scale of the trees just about right, if anything a little too large. The larger canopy trees are huge! As far as mipmapping, I just use the cachemul, Rem. It seems to have zero effect on framerates, so it's an easy solution to resolution. Hahaha, I made a funny.... :lol:

Terrain palette chosen seems appropriate. Nice greens, browns (made dead grass patches), rock textures I like as well. Have no idea as to the road pattern for the crater yet, I'll have to wait until I get the 3 major models in place, then you could create that road terrain then.

Anyways, very nice work, professional and quite purty. ;)

*Rem, I just changed your opacity maps from 24 to 8 bit. That oughta stop the crashing --

**Yup, no probs. in software mode either.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Dang, I knew it. :) I actually converted the opacity maps to 24-bit cos I thought that made it crash the first time (must have been one of those normal random crashes). :lol: