Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheXenomorph1
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Antispam: No

Problems with user maps

Post by TheXenomorph1 »

Okay, I'm having problems on running user maps recently.

:arrow: Problem when the V 1.1 patch is not installed: The user maps doesn't show up in the Quickload menu. I have tried everything from putting the maps to Tres CD and to the main directory.

:arrow: Problem when the V 1.1 patch is installed: The user maps shows up but when I tried to run them, the game shows a fatal error message.

P.S.: I have installed the Screen Patch.

Help needed!
I am an AVP fan, but also a Jurassic Park fan.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Re: Problems with user maps

Post by LtSten »

The maps should be located in x:/TresCD/data, (.scn (or .spz, I forget - iirc the .spz is the file which Tres loads from and then generates the .scn and the .swp? Somebody who knows about this, correct me :P), .grf, .wtd, and .pid.
When does the fatal error occur? If it occurs during the loading bar, when? With the patch, is it only user maps, not retail levels? Which user level maps are you trying? Have you tried with Tres CE/Custom Edition?
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

LtSten wrote:The maps should be located in x:/TresCD/data, (.scn (or .spz, I forget - iirc the .spz is the file which Tres loads from and then generates the .scn and the .swp? Somebody who knows about this, correct me :P), .grf, .wtd, and .pid.
Trespasser generate .swp from .spz. .scn is already among the files :P so .scn, .grf, .wtd, .pid and .spz.

And as LtSten asked, some more info would be helpful.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheXenomorph1
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by TheXenomorph1 »

LtSten wrote:The maps should be located in x:/TresCD/data, (.scn (or .spz, I forget - iirc the .spz is the file which Tres loads from and then generates the .scn and the .swp? Somebody who knows about this, correct me :P), .grf, .wtd, and .pid.
Yes, I have tried putting the maps to that folder but still, it DIDN'T work.
LtSten wrote:When does the fatal error occur? If it occurs during the loading bar, when? With the patch, is it only user maps, not retail levels? Which user level maps are you trying? Have you tried with Tres CE/Custom Edition?
The fatal error occurred during the loading bar; JUST after the "Initializing World" (or something like it) begins filling up. This error occurred only to user maps. I tried TC-Ops. I never tried Tres CE because I never saw it in TresCom's Download Page.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Did you apply the large patch (~30MB)? Or only the small one (~1MB)?
If you installed the large one, you'll need to edit something in the registry and move some files around... (the large patch doesn't overwrite the original level files, instead it copies new ones to a different folder and adds a registry entry pointing to that folder... then you won't find the .scn files for user-made levels as they are in the data folder and not the Patch folder)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheXenomorph1
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by TheXenomorph1 »

machf wrote:Did you apply the large patch (~30MB)? Or only the small one (~1MB)?
I installed the 30 MB patch...
machf wrote:If you installed the large one, you'll need to edit something in the registry and move some files around... (the large patch doesn't overwrite the original level files, instead it copies new ones to a different folder and adds a registry entry pointing to that folder... then you won't find the .scn files for user-made levels as they are in the data folder and not the Patch folder)
Okay, now I'm confused. But nevertheless I'll give it a try. If it still doesn't appear... I'm s****ed.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

I think this is what machf means, if not, forgive me, and I'll just look like an idiot. :P
[note: the tl;dr of this is that (first paragraph:) the patch folder which it now loads from is probably under either where you installed Tres (default of C:/Program Files/Dreamworks Interactive/Trespasser) or somewhere in C:/Tres CD. (second paragraph:) If you want to change it, you need to go into the registry and find a path with "Patch" in it and change it to C:/TresCD/data and then put all the level files in there]

You'll need to find the location where the patched Tres loads the map files from, either by going into the registry (explained below, and you might as well change it to TresCD/data if you do that), or by looking through all the folders that exist (I can't remember, but it shouldn't be that hard, just look for a folder named "Patch" in TresCD and C:/Program Files/Dreamworks Interactive/Trespasser, and then you just copy over the user level files into that directory.

If you want to change the location back to C:/TresCD/data, from what I remember:
Installing the large patch creates a different folder which Tres loads the maps from instead of x:/TresCD/data, and upon patching it fixes this for the retail levels only (from what machf said, I know more or less nothing about the patch itself). If you load up the registry editor (in the registry is the corresponding value which Tres looks up to load the data, essentially), by loading up "Run" (Start > run or similar, or WindowsKey+R) and typing in "regedit" (you'll need to be on an administrator user I imagine). Here, go to Hkey_Local_Machine, then Software, then Dreamworks Interactive, then Trespasser. You'll need to find something in there which has the filepath for where Tres loads data from when patched (probably a filepath with /Patch/ or similar in it :P, you'll want to note this if you want to move the retail levels) and change it to wherever your /Tres CD/data folder is (double click and it should bring up a box to edit, and you folder is probably - if you've followed the custom on here - "C:/TresCD/data" or "C:/Tres CD/data". You'll then want to make sure that all your level files are in TresCD/data which you want to play, and I imagine you'll want to move over the retail level files back from the patch folder (which you noted earlier ;)) to /data.

You can find more stuff about registry tweaks here.
edit: is there support for <a href="link">text</a>?
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

LtSten wrote: You can find more stuff about registry tweaks here.
edit: is there support for <a href="link">text</a>?
What for? You already used the [url] tag...

This is why I commented about the registry entries not being explained...

Applying the large patch will not only replace the .exe, but also add fixed level files... it doesn't place them into the TresCD\data folder because, duh, that folder was supposed to be part of the original CD, and the patch can't write data into the CD. So, instead, it creates a Trespasser\Patch folder (that's assuming you installed the game into a folder called Trespasser), and adds a registry entry pointing to it, so that the patched .exe, upon finding that registry entry, will load the level files from there instead of the CD...
Read more about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4516

And there should be another topic elsewhere, but apparently, after the last migration, the search is broken again...

So, basically, you move the files from that Trespasser\Patch folder into the TresCD\data folder and then either edit the egistry key so it points to the new location, or maybe delete it altogether (haven't tried that last one, but since non-English releases of the game are all version 1.1.7 like the Patch and the demo, I guess it should work too).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheXenomorph1
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by TheXenomorph1 »

Following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4516, I finally managed to get the levels working! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You don't change it to TresCD, but to TresCD\data

Here's a copy of my registry entries (non-relevant entries removed):

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser]
"Data Drive"="Q:\\TresCD\\"
"Run File"="F:\\Trespasser\\trespass.exe"
"Installed Directory"="F:\\Trespasser\\"
"Installed"=dword:00000001
"Registry Init"=dword:00000001
"Patch Dir"="Q:\\TresCD\\data\\"

Pay attention to the trailing backslashes at the end of pathnames...
As you can see, the game is installed on F:\Trespasser\ and the CD is copied on Q:\TresCD\ on my PC...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheXenomorph1 wrote:Following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4516, I finally managed to get the levels working! :D
Glad to see you solved it...

And now I finally managed to find the other discussion...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5510