Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling (Old topic)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Post by Mickey »

s13n1 wrote:I hope people are still keen to see some videos!
Can't wait :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by s13n1 »

Im uploading a video to youtube that is going to be unlisted.
Initially, only people who have donated will be sent the link, but i will post it in here too.

Its taking friggen ages to upload, and in the end i wasnt very happy with the compression and colour quality.

Can anyone recommend a good video encoder? Im working with batches of captured jpegs.

I must be using a shit encoder because all the captured jpegs combined were smaller than the final compressed video with no audio.. Hmm..
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

There's several. You should use the h.264 codec for compression. Do you already have a software to compress it with?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

s13n1 wrote:Im uploading a video to youtube that is going to be unlisted.
Initially, only people who have donated will be sent the link, but i will post it in here too.

Its taking friggen ages to upload, and in the end i wasnt very happy with the compression and colour quality.

Can anyone recommend a good video encoder? Im working with batches of captured jpegs.

I must be using a shit encoder because all the captured jpegs combined were smaller than the final compressed video with no audio.. Hmm..
M-JPEG could be a good choice for this particular video, I guess. FFdshow includes the necessary codec for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_JPEG

H.264, OTOH, will allow you to upload the video to YouTube without it needing to be recompressed... just make sure to set the proper parameters.

Take a look at the table with the available formats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

Btw, I noticed that you mentioned a way to donate to the cause! That's fantastic. I don't have a paypal account, though. But do you have a financial plan for this? If so, how much money do you want to raise? (I wouldn't mind donating/investing to it as well)

If you made a kickstarter Campaign I am pretty sure people will gladly invest into it!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Can I start my own fundraiser? "Make an unemployed engineer happy" could be a good name, I think... :wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

machf wrote:Can I start my own fundraiser? "Make an unemployed engineer happy" could be a good name, I think... :wink:
Ahah good one machf :lol:
I will open one called "I need money!" :mrgreen:
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

machf wrote:Can I start my own fundraiser? "Make an unemployed engineer happy" could be a good name, I think... :wink:
You'd have my support, machf - you are a fine engineer. You could probably create a fundraiser to fund a cool sideproject of yours (I see dino-robots!)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It wouldn't be a bad idea, I could rip off the AI routines from Trespasser... ;-)
But actually I'm awaiting news from a job proposal at the university, they want to reactivate the old hardware maintenance department (currently they've been outsourcing the job to a 3rd-party company, but their contract expires this month).
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

@s13n1: the shots you posted on your site are amazing. How is the work going with the video?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

madppiper wrote:@s13n1: the shots you posted on your site are amazing. How is the work going with the video?
Hopefully up in a few hours!

I've had so much trouble and bad luck with this video, its ridiculous.
I was going to get my girlfriend to upload the huge 6gb video from her work, but she was actually sick today and couldnt!

I've since recaptured the video (as i had done a lot more work), and have re-encoded it. Its uploading right now.
This version was captured at 1920x1221, cropped to 1920x1080, and then upsized to 2014x1152 with some sharpening added. This is to qualify as "original quality" and will hopefully be compressed using a higher bitrate and not have as much visible compression artifacts. Jesus i hate them!

Audio is just a mix of about 5-6 Trespasser music tracks, as it seemed really lame to not have any audio at all.

Hopefully if all goes well and youtube doesn't do something drastically wrong with the compression, i'll be back in a few hours with a link.

It will be just for you guys though, so no posting it anywhere else! This is a reward for all the people who have donated so far. In about a weeks time, i'll make it public and post it on the blog and you can post it here if you like.

By that time though, i'll probably have an updated version to show what changes have been made.

Seriously i think i've ages 6 months in the past week!
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

lol... are you sure that you are doing the encoding right, though?

Though I like your enthusiasm (and certainly love your work), maybe you don't need it this high of a resolution. Youtube will render it down to different resolutions anyhow and since people are streaming it, it just seems rather tedious to go through with it.

Regardless: i really did mean the offer about donating some - your work certainly seems worth it. Apart from paypal (which i cannot use any longer - i wasted my accounts on developing several eCommerce systems), which other ways do you have to send you a gift?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Its seriously worth the trouble.

YouTube has an amazing amount of compression, I'm really surprised considering the performance the site still requires.

I've been using the advice of a YouTube veteran who has very nice quality videos, so if all goes well this latest upload will be a winner.

My main concern is that it just hides so much of the detail.

The beaches are covered in small rocks and pebbles which you can't see. Sticks and other bits of debris. All gone.

The dynamic depth of field effect is not visible. All this stuff is what makes it look nice and YouTube destroys it.

I'll be uploading this clip to vimeo too, as a test of their compression. I want to stick with YouTube though, to get some AdSense action if I can.

As far as donations go, promoting the project here now and then would be more than enough! :-)
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

Well, as far as promoting is concerned - i think we can really give it a broader shot, if you are up for it. We were featured in gaming magazines before. I am sure that the quality of what you are doing is going to spark some interest
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

The video is up!

Be sure to view in 1080 or Original if you can, to make the most of it.

http://youtu.be/-Q-ISLJHFy8

Please no linking elsewhere on the forum, as its not public yet and only for you guys and donators.

Cheers ;-)