Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling (Old topic)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling (Old topic)

Post by s13n1 »

I suppose i should probably start my own thread in here.

I'll be posting stuff here i'd prefer to keep out of the eyes of the public.
Screenshots of WIP areas i'd like input on, WIP models and art etc. There is just so much i'd like help and input from you guys on its crazy.

I have a pretty clear vision of what i want to do, but i don't want to do anything that at all disturbs the game and what it means to those who love it.
This makes these forums the best place to discuss it.

A while back i was in contact with hppav about the Town and its current layout, but i got a little distracted with a few other jobs and never got around to finishing my discussion with him bout it. I discovered a few holes in my design and when i started working them out, it turned into a lot more work then i expected and before long i was modeling the EA building. Haha. Distracted much.

Anyway, my first post will be regarding the town and its current layout and how the player will enter and progress through it.

I need help coming up with a suitable mission objective that provides enough puzzles and gameplay, while keeping enough of the town locked up for later exploration.

I'll put together some screenshots and be back hopefully shortly..
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Post by Mickey »

Coool :mrgreen: can't wait :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

What's the largest size (kb and resolution) image I can upload and post?

I want to post images here I don't want to upload to flickr.

Thanks.
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

s13n1 wrote:What's the largest size (kb and resolution) image I can upload and post?

I want to post images here I don't want to upload to flickr.

Thanks.
Sure :wink:
Total attachment quota:
Maximum drive space available for attachments for the whole board, with 0 being unlimited.
300MB
Maximum file size:
Maximum size of each file, with 0 being unlimited.
512KB
Maximum number of attachments per post: 4
resolution doesn't matter :)

Try it out, best bet would be to get you access to the Trescom ftp, maybe a section for your work?, so you can just upload and post here.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Yeah that could be an option for big images and any large files I want to share.

For now, I'll see if I can resize a bit and reduce quality.

Thanks.
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

s13n1 wrote:Yeah that could be an option for big images and any large files I want to share.

For now, I'll see if I can resize a bit and reduce quality.

Thanks.
No problem :) , I'll contact Paul see if we can get some webspace for you :)
PM sent :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Okay a little history on my Town.

In the beginning i had a totally original layout. It was basically just all the elements of the original Town rearranged, to keep things fresh and new. The new layout was okay, it looked good and was functional, but it just wasn't "The Town", so i decided to return it to the original layout with some inspiration from the Lost World film. I wanted the InGen reception / Ops building in its own separate compound with the gas station, mini geothermal, water tower, gen building and that office / hotel building next door.

I wanted to try and include some of the ideas the devs had planned in their original walkthrough, so instead of just being a key card collection puzzle, you had to break into different buildings and get some power restored and get the gates open so you can move on to the Plains. I also want to keep some buildings, or at least some parts of them, locked until later in the game. Because unlike the original game, your not in the Town just once, you will be returning later. So there's no point seeing all it has to offer the first visit.

I wanted a series of puzzles / objectives that are not tiresome and overly inconvenient. I dont want too much back tracking and collecting, just a sequence that seems pretty realistic considering the situation.

Please excuse the quality of this image. All models are untextured placeholders and the terrain geometry is pretty much untouched apart from the very basic shape. Textures are just there for effect and nearly all objects are disabled and all vegetation is disabled. This is VERY WIP!
town_layout.jpg
town_layout.jpg (439.07 KiB) Viewed 13998 times
Hammond said "Left to itself, the facility reverts to minimal power — chiefly battery-powered security systems. It can sustain itself almost indefinitely." My interpretation (for this project), is that the minimal battery power is enough to ensure the locks remain active, but not enough to power the gates or doors themselves if they are opened hydraulically or with a motor.

So the red lines are locked gates that are Powered. This means they require power to move and cant be opened even if you have the key or code.
If there is no power, they wont budge. They are designed to keep dino's out!

Orange lines are gates or doors that are locked but are not powered. So if you have the key or code, they can be simply pushed open.

Power can not be restored to the red gates until the mini geothermal plant has been rebooted, but before you can get to it, you must find the key card to open the gates to the compound.

This is what im thinking for the Town's objectives, please let me know what you think and be sure to point out any errors or how you think it could be expanded upon.

Coming from Industrial Jungle, the outer wall can be bypassed by getting through a rusted metal grate. This gives players access to the inner wall, but because the gates are not powered you need to find another way in.

Not immediately obvious due to vegetation and an environment that draws players away, is a waste water pipe near the back of Wu's house that has a metal grate that can be removed. This allows access to a tunnel under the road that leads into the Water Treatment Plant. Once inside the plant, you find yourself in a deep waste water pit that you cant get out of (broken ladder), leaving you the only option of entering further pipes and exploring them until you come out inside the town. The faint blue line shows your entry and and path.

This type of entry an location was important to me, in order to retain that iconic feeling the original game has when you first enter the town.

Once inside the town, players are free to explore anywhere they like, but they will quickly discover that some buildings are locked and require keys.

A set of master keys (actual metal keys on a ring) can be found in the school that will open some of the locked buildings and perhaps houses around town. These will be required to gain access to the InGeneral Store and the Church/ Town Hall.

Inside the Church, players will be faced with a raptor nest and in the office they will find Muldoons I.D Tag on the desk. This will give you access to his house ONLY. In Muldoons house they will find a RED keycard, some weapons / ammo and possibly something hidden in the roof, as mentioned in the dev's walkthrough.
The Red Keycard is Muldoon's high level security card and will give players access to most gates and security rooms / weapon lockers throughout the island.

Staff I.D tags will get you into their homes only. I figure staff of varying security levels and departments all used cards of a particular colour. This simplifies things and allows for some back tracking puzzles when you find staff I.D's later in the game, Nedry and Wu for example.

Using the Red Keycard to get inside the Compound, players can now reboot the mini geo plant. Once rebooted, players will (hopefully) notice that only the lights in the Gen Building will come on (its late afternoon) , providing enough of a clue to go inside. A cabinet inside holds breakers that players need to switch on, in order to power the individual buildings in the compound and around the town. These happen in sequence, with the Op's building being the last one. When the sequence gets to the Op's building, it will cause a short and a fuse will need replacing. Replacement fuses can be found in the storage room on the top floor of the Church. Once the fuse is replaced and the sequence repeated, power will be restored to all buildings inside the compound as well as the Saloon, InGeneral Store and the Diner.

Players can now enter the Ops building and use the Red Keycard to gain access to the security room and remotely open the inner and outer gates around the town, giving access to the Plains.

Up to this point, the game will have used a pre-set time scale to control the time of day. At the start of the game, Anne woke on the beach just before midday and i predict that by the time she reaches the Town, it is late afternoon. Solving all the puzzles in the town will have advanced time a little more, so by the time she opens the gates from inside the security room and exits the Ops building, it will be quite dark outside. As players leave the Ops building, a cinematic sequence will take over.

The following is a very basic description of the cinematic. The actual sequence will be a lot more detailed with more scenes. Its still not 100% final, it's just an idea i'm running with for now.

Surprised by the sudden loss of daylight and hearing loud dino calls in the distance, Anne will decide its too dark and dangerous to continue, and will make her way over to the Saloon to sleep in one of the upstairs rooms. As she prepares herself for a nights sleep, a strange sound down stairs will startle her and she will go down to investigate. She will find nothing there, but being paranoid now, she decides to stack some boxes up and block off those useless flappy saloon doors. When shes finished blocking the doorway, she is taken by surprise by the sound again, which is coming from the bar. It turns out to be the Ice machine dumping a load of ice. It came back on when the power was restored. Its at this point she decides now that she has some ice, it might just be a good time for a drink ;-)

Here i plan to make use of some of the games voice overs that were not used to my liking or at all.

Anne will wander around the saloon with her drink, looking at some of the paintings and photos on the walls. A sequence of various shots will portray the passing of time, as she twirls around and dances a little, showing that she's actually getting a bit drunk. She will plonk herself and her glass down at the bar and slouch over the bar as she pours herself another drink, showing very little left in the bottle. Its here she will start to talk to herself:

"I guess there isn't much to tell.

Oh, you know. I went to the party. I wore the little black dress. It was beautiful.

I guess I didn't want to be alone, or something. He…
It wasn't what I wanted.

I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not going back."

She will finish off her drink and pour another as the camera slowly pulls back and then out of the saloon in staggered steps, then fades to black as she says:

"On the bright side: no more student loans!"

The next scene will show its now morning, with some nice shots of the town with the sun rising from the north of the island behind Mt Watson, casting light and long dark shadows over everything. Some Stego's and Para's will be grazing around town, getting in during the night, now that the gates are open.
town_sunrise.jpg
town_sunrise.jpg (342.83 KiB) Viewed 13998 times
Going back inside the saloon we see Anne asleep on the bar, the ice machine door left open. More ice will dump and wake her up. She will get up slowly, not immediately remembering her situation. Its not till some loud trumpeting dinosaur calls can be heard that she realizes where she is and says "oh god.." and actually gets up. She wanders up stairs to get her bag and what not from the room, when suddenly a loud alarm goes off somewhere in the Town.

Intrigued by the alarm (a rescue team? another person?), she races down stairs and out onto the street, looking towards the direction of the alarm, which sounds like its coming from the school. Running to the school and bursting in through the front doors, she will find a bunch of Compy's inside one of the rooms causing havoc. The alarm sounding now only because the power has been restored. Anne grabs a nearby cricket bat and smashes the alarm off the wall, silencing it. She then waves the bat at the compy's trying to scare them off: "I've got a cricket bat!" She throws the bat at them, causing them to scatter but not leave. She grabs a croquet mallet and shouts "I've got a croquet mallet!" and throws that at them too. She finally grabs a Golf club "I've got a golf club!" and is about to throw that too when the compy's look startled and take off out of the school in a big hurry.

(this is all to make use of those voice overs, as they would be difficult to use properly during regular gameplay)

Relieved, Anne sighs and drops the golf club. She starts walking towards the front doors of the school, then suddenly becomes worried when she notices some of the Para's have been spooked and are taking off towards the other end of town. Its at this point a deep rumbling growl is heard.

The cinematic finishes and control returned to the player.

Some things to note: The t-rex scale is off, just ignore that. Where the fallen water tower was in the original game, i've placed one of the turned over buses. I'm considering moving the one near the b-ball court to the front of the school in that car park. The water treatment plant and school are just placeholder models from Crysis. Ignore them. The gate to the water treatment plant cant be opened from the town side. This is obviously to prevent players bypassing the town altogether. Once players have reached the Dam and have found a working remote gate opener (greenwood had one?), they can return and open the gate, as well as many others earlier in the game, allowing easy back tracking.

There is probably mistakes I've overlooked and things not finished. Let me know if you spot anything and be sure to offer suggestions!

Cheers.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Just quickly, here's an overhead shot that will show the new roads and how they unify the island better.

The red line is the players path from start all the way to the dam.

The little blue lines are gates or obstructions that keep the player on track.

Again, lots of layers disabled for easier viewing.
south_of_island.jpg
south_of_island.jpg (428.21 KiB) Viewed 13997 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

s13n1 wrote: Please excuse the quality of this image. All models are untextured placeholders and the terrain geometry is pretty much untouched apart from the very basic shape. Textures are just there for effect and nearly all objects are disabled and all vegetation is disabled. This is VERY WIP!
town_layout.jpg
Sounds like Doc Brown...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

My town building models look pretty good with that lighting, even without the textures :lol: Though the Ops Center has a few little things wrong with it... if you use the EA references I gave you though you'll be able to spot the most major problems with it :P Mainly how I handled that tower - didn't have the references that show the openings just below the dome. Then the back portion of the balcony is wrong and the front windows (These two I think I corrected in the later version of the level where I also fixed the garage, which it looks like you have the old garage in these images). But we can work on these details when you get to that point :P

I really like this layout, it's a great compromise between the movie and the game. And your ideas of how to progress through the town seem really cool. I also like your ideas for that sequence for the overnight. I also like how you can see the radio tower on top of Mt. Watson from here, it looks like it's a nice hint that you need to go there. ;)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

That look awesome :), your using cryengine 2 right?
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

hppav wrote:My town building models look pretty good with that lighting, even without the textures :lol: Though the Ops Center has a few little things wrong with it... if you use the EA references I gave you though you'll be able to spot the most major problems with it :P Mainly how I handled that tower - didn't have the references that show the openings just below the dome. Then the back portion of the balcony is wrong and the front windows (These two I think I corrected in the later version of the level where I also fixed the garage, which it looks like you have the old garage in these images). But we can work on these details when you get to that point :P

I really like this layout, it's a great compromise between the movie and the game. And your ideas of how to progress through the town seem really cool. I also like your ideas for that sequence for the overnight. I also like how you can see the radio tower on top of Mt. Watson from here, it looks like it's a nice hint that you need to go there. ;)
Your models are awesome dude. Without them i wouldn't have had a good enough base to start on my own and i wouldn't have these lovely placeholders!

Glad you like the ideas so far.
Mickey wrote:That look awesome :), your using cryengine 2 right?
Thanks, and yes CE2 is awesome. Amazingly powerful, more so than i ever thought.

Here's another shot taken from where the original Cathys Beach is.
view_from_cathys_beach.jpg
view_from_cathys_beach.jpg (360.7 KiB) Viewed 13985 times
There is still a shit-tonne of vegetation to be placed up this end of the island, but this morning lighting hides it pretty well.

The secret valley in JR has some clouds hanging low over head. There are clouds hanging around the tops of most of the hill tops, to give a moist tropical look to the island.

Excuse the blurry image, i had the DOF focus range set to very low.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Holy shit - you're not screwing around, are you?
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

Though the images are lovely, is there any way for us to autoresize them a bit?
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

madppiper wrote:Though the images are lovely, is there any way for us to autoresize them a bit?
There is technically but since there hosted on the Attachment to the forum and not external links, we would have to mess with the phpbb3 attachment css or something in those lines :nerd: