Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Isla Nublar

Post by hppav »

So I decided to start making my own map of Isla Nublar. This time I decided to completely ignore everything "canon" established by the fandom and focus only on what is in the movie itself.

First thing I did was take the Fence Failure map (the only straight on shot of a Nublar Map) and use that as basis to distort the Island Overview map so to adjust for perspective (most Nublar mappers don't even know that they need to do this).

There's a major difference in the coastline of the Fence Failure map and the Island Overview map, however the Fence Failure coastline is also indicated on the Island Overview map despite the Island Overview map having the coastline a little further out. I made both coastlines, with the lower coastline being in light green and the higher being in dark green.

I then drew on the roads, which are slightly different between the two maps. I drew the roads as they were on both maps, even if parts of them were different between the two. There's also a lot of maps/trails on the northern end of the island that aren't clearly drawn, but if you look close you can see them.

That brings us this map:

Click for full.

I find it interesting how there's roads that appear to go out to the shoreline in roughly the same location we know the North Dock and the East Dock are.

Anyway, I then took the Fence Failure map and traced the paddocks with dark red. Then I took the Tour Car map ("Interactive CD-Rom!" scene) and overlaid it. The perspective wouldn't work right due to the island being 3D and at an angle, so I used it as a rough guide. Interestingly some of the roads I picked out seem to follow parts of the green fence from that map. The larger bright red section is labeled Tyrannosaurus and the smaller is labeled Dilophosaurus, with the gap in between being labeled Trike. I don't believe that to be rather accurate, however I do believe this is useful for its indication that herbivores were kept in the central plains whereas carnivores were kept on the outer rim (Sorna inversion).

I also marked the Visitor Center location from the 3D Nublar map on the big screen with a yellow dot.

Click for full.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Re: Isla Nublar

Post by Blapeuh »

Great map.
Interesting to see you adjust for perspective. Most maps of Isla Nublar look more compressed ie. smaller width. Probably due to not being adjusted by the author and just simply traced over.

It would be great if someone could make a map out of it. Since i was a kid i dreamed of a virtual JP (isla nublar) where you could explore and learn about dinosaurs and there environments. Such a program would be great for kids or schools exploring the exciting history of our planet.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Blapeuh wrote:Great map.
Interesting to see you adjust for perspective. Most maps of Isla Nublar look more compressed ie. smaller width. Probably due to not being adjusted by the author and just simply traced over.

It would be great if someone could make a map out of it. Since i was a kid i dreamed of a virtual JP (isla nublar) where you could explore and learn about dinosaurs and there environments. Such a program would be great for kids or schools exploring the exciting history of our planet.
The movie version is as you see above, but in the book the island was like 40 by 5 miles or something, really thin.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

awesome24712 wrote: The movie version is as you see above, but in the book the island was like 40 by 5 miles or something, really thin.
Ah right, that explains alot. Due to s13n1's work as of last year i got really excited about JP again and came out of lurking. Made an account and bought the books. They are such a nice read. I think mr. Crichton's work is amazing and his writing style is very fluent and can suck you right into the story. Only thing i don't remember is the island being 40 by 5 miles. Maybe i am just too much conditioned by the movie images. Who knows :)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I thought it was 3 miles by 8 miles in the book :P Still a lot longer and thinner than the movie version... Here's a map for the novel that uses the shape of the movie island set to the scale from the book:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ar_map.jpg
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
KillerBee256
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by KillerBee256 »

Blapeuh wrote: I think mr. Crichton's work is amazing and his writing style is very fluent and can suck you right into the story.
Off topic, but if you like Jurassic park and The Lost World you should read Congo, Sphere and timeline as well.
Fear the frog....
Cvlsoldier
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Cvlsoldier »

I have to say I like the movie better than the book and it's not because of the inconsistencies... well that is part of it, but the main reason is because I didn't like the book Hammond. I mean yes the movie Hammond made the same mistakes as the one in the book, but at least he cared about what happened to his people, his guests and most specifically: his grand children.

Now, back on topic; I think the map's brilliant! I like how you incorporated all the different maps into one and how everything seems to fit together. Good work!
Favorite Jurassic Park quotes:

~"Dr. Grant, my dear Dr. Sattler... Welcome to Jurassic Park."~
~"Hold on to your butts."~
~"That is one big pile of shit."~ Favorite line in the whole movie!
Brachio
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Brachio »

Kinda late to the party but great job with the map. I remember when we were making the Nublar map we used exactly the shot you spoke of (the closest to straight on as possible) and we adjusted it. The differences in coast line, however, I wasn't aware of. I'm not a "visual" artist... all my art is sonic (sound or music) but I still got roped into doing the image manipulation and such. Some of the details we tried to hybridize...worth mentioning too is that the CDRom Map also shows offshore islands which aren't seen (that I could tell) in any other map

I'll have to replace these with screen grabs from the 3D version... quality is probably 3 times better heh...