Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Reworking: The Lab & Pine Valley

Post by awesome24712 »

I, rather suddenly, have begun to do some Trespasser modding again! "Carnivores" has worn me out. :yum:

What I hope to do is to build off of the Lab and Pine Valley levels, to smooth the rather awful transitions from the Town level to Ascent One. The Lab level will have more changes than the Pine Valley one (which will have more bug fixes than actual new content), with whole new areas and new puzzles. :)

I'm starting with the Lab level, and I've already begun working on it. For the Lab, I'm changing the starting position to the top of a more valley-like area (Pine Valley will be changed accordingly), and adding extra facilities in and around the vanilla area. The main, new puzzle revolves around this line: "As we left, we vandalized our own locking mechanisms. InGen tolerates no trespassers." Well, what doesn't make a whole lot of sense is that most of the locking mechanisms (keycards, etc.) are completely functional. So, for the Lab, you're going to have to trip circuit breakers (might as well uses hppav's from JP1) (with power lines coming from where PV would be) in order to power card readers, and eventually the actual Cray supercomputer itself (which would of had no power if all the circuit breakers were off).

What I've done with the Lab so far:

Beginning area:

Then the player goes through this tunnel:

Into this new harbor-ish area:

And then finally to where the level originally began (previous circuit breakers would have to be active to open the gate). There's also a path to the actual Lab area itself:

I might also add some additional places past the warehouses.

Of course, there's still a lot to be put in (most noticeably the plants and rocks, which is actually the easiest part), but it will get in there.

Let the replies ensue! :D
Last edited by awesome24712 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Reworking: The Lab & Pine Valley

Post by tatu »

Looks really good. I think it's been a few years since we last saw any huge "remake" of any official levels (been some time for any fan level really). AFAIK, The Four Towers is the only ever released fan version that have modified The Lab, so this will be interesting.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The Four Towers isn't really a modification of the Lab, but rather, a continuation of it. The idea of the Pens is the same, a level that fits between Lab and Ascent. They use the Lab level as a base because it contains the needed terrain area.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I still find it funny that the real area between the Lab and the Ascent turned out to be nothing to write home about in the end :P

Nice start on the level, btw ;)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

tatu wrote:Looks really good. I think it's been a few years since we last saw any huge "remake" of any official levels (been some time for any fan level really). AFAIK, The Four Towers is the only ever released fan version that have modified The Lab, so this will be interesting.
The Four Towers is one of my favorite custom levels. It's so long, and mysterious!
machf wrote:The Four Towers isn't really a modification of the Lab, but rather, a continuation of it. The idea of the Pens is the same, a level that fits between Lab and Ascent. They use the Lab level as a base because it contains the needed terrain area.
The Lab level also already contains many of the assets needed for any level. One disadvantage of using the Lab as a base though is that you can't rename the files.
hppav wrote:I still find it funny that the real area between the Lab and the Ascent turned out to be nothing to write home about in the end :P

Nice start on the level, btw ;)
I'll probably be changing the ending terrain a bit at the end of the level to mtch the start of AS1. Thanks for the feedback guys. :mrgreen:

And some progress!

Added a lot of the foliage and such:

Got a few physics kinks to work out here :P :

The new starting area:

A new dock:

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Looking good 8)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Hilwo wrote:Looking good 8)
Ahh, Hilwo's favorite phrase. :P

Post benchamrks:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

awesome24712 wrote: The Lab level also already contains many of the assets needed for any level. One disadvantage of using the Lab as a base though is that you can't rename the files.
Oh, you definitely can, the problem isn't that, it's that the original Lab level has some errors that need to be fixed first...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

machf wrote:
awesome24712 wrote: The Lab level also already contains many of the assets needed for any level. One disadvantage of using the Lab as a base though is that you can't rename the files.
Oh, you definitely can, the problem isn't that, it's that the original Lab level has some errors that need to be fixed first...
How did the developers ever get around having those errors in the first place?

Post benchamrks:
thegregster101
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by thegregster101 »

"Pine Valley Fixed v0.1" is pretty neat i think.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

awesome24712 wrote:How did the developers ever get around having those errors in the first place?
I guess they aren't critical errors. If you check the config files for GeomAdd and/or TresEd, you'll find there are some "known errors" listed which the programs should just ignore.

Better yet, use GeomAdd to verify the original levels:
Beach wrote:WARNING: Missing instance "PworklightBlb00-05", used in "MWrkLtBulb01", value SlaveObject
WARNING: Unknown value 'ResourceID' found in "TrigTutorHint-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'ResourceID' found in "TrigTutorJungleGym-00".
WARNING: Unknown value 'ResourceID' found in "TrigTutorJump-00".
Jungle Road wrote:ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall14t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim15
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall13t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim14
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall12t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim13
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall11t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim12
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall10t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim11
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall09t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim10
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\jr\TrnJRwaterfall08t2.BMP", used in CInstance "waterfallobj", value Anim09
Industrial Jungle wrote:ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\ij\TIJWF0_0031t2.BMP", used in CInstance "TUnderWaterFall-00", value Anim31
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\ij\TIJWF0_0030t2.BMP", used in CInstance "TUnderWaterFall-00", value Anim30
NOTE: Multiple classes CSky found
InGen Town wrote:WARNING: Missing instance "Pplastichairleg2-00", used in "MPlstcChair02-00", value SlaveObject
WARNING: Missing instance "Pplastichairleg1-00", used in "MPlstcChair01-00", value SlaveObject
Ingen Lab wrote:ERROR: Type1 geometry "PHKVP-72-" can't be visible (make it a '$' object or set "bool Visible = false")
Verifying values...
WARNING: Missing instance "FKeypad-01", used in "TrigButton1Beep", value Element1
NOTE: Multiple classes CSky found
NOTE: Some textures known to cause verification problems were ignored. (see file "GeomAdd.ignoretextures.txt")
Ascent wrote:ERROR: Type1 geometry "SMV_RuinU-10-00" can't be visible (make it a '$' object or set "bool Visible = false")
Verifying values...
WARNING: Missing instance "PBenelli-03", used in "TrigVH106-00", value A01
WARNING: Missing instance "Pbenelli-02", used in "TrigVH106-00", value A00
TestScene - Night wrote:WARNING: Unknown value 'Unlitt' found in "SMoon00-00".
Demo wrote:WARNING: Missing instance "Pak47drumagazine-02", used in "TrigGunPickup-00", value A00
tatu

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:
machf wrote:
How did the developers ever get around having those errors in the first place?
First of they working in Studio Max and exported the levels directly into playable files, and did not work in TresEd, so they didn't have to rename levels as we does. Don't forget that we are using different tool :P
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Is there a way to convert original .max files (like the mystery models) into usable TPMs?

Post benchamrks:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, there are export scripts, of course.
tatu

Post by tatu »

As machf said. Just be sure to convert the textures since they are 24-bit (GeomAdd can't add them properly), and the change their palette, otherwise you will get too many palettes really quickly.