Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Project Proposal: "Draconstruction"!

Post by Draconisaurus »

Once again, before I plow ahead with my new ideas, I want get a taste for how it will go. Back when I used to haunt these boards more frequently (still finding the time to do so now), I would often be asked to model this for someone, or help script this event, or rig that creature mesh, and/or witness this happen to other senior members. This may not be such a bad idea - those of us with the skill to take care of these dirty works can allow the less capable members to construct new worlds with their own imaginations, apart from what we might do. So while I have some ideas of my own bumping around, I'm quite comfortable with the success I attained here in years past and now see it only fitting to aid others' projects so they can do the same. It's a dynamic similar to the workforce who enables other sections of society to function in ways they otherwise wouldn't have time for, or the way advanced software automates all the levels of program functioning we'd take hours to do ourselves.

So who here, is interested in help with their current project these areas?
  • Terrain Editing
  • Basic/Advanced Scripting
  • Object placement
  • Textures
  • Modeling
  • Rigging
The first three, I should be able to help with very soon. The second three, will have to wait until I get a better computer set-up, and that last one I need to actually learn at some point if I can... And if you can think of any other things that you'd like help with in your own projects, let me know!
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Project Proposal: "Draconstruction"!

Post by awesome24712 »

I would argue that what we need here, what would be most helpful to the community overall, is getting people involved, to teach that all this stuff is possible and that they can do it themselves.

Someone may find the TresEd software on the TresCom downloads, download it, extract it (if they know how), and then have know idea what to with it or how to use it. And then, with seemingly little support for such software, they have no where to turn to. And just give up, and play some other game.

Getting people these things to make their own mods/levels isn't the problem, it's giving them the inspiration to do so. I, honestly, am not that interested in Trespasser modding anymore, even though I have full capability to do so. I certainly know how to, but that's because I spent a few months working and practicing, with seemingly little reward in the end.

I don't believe anyone here would work for so long, 10-year forum member or not, if there isn't much reward to it. You, Draco, I believe one of the reasons you left before was that you didn't receive as much feedback for JPDS as you hoped for.

We need to get more people aware, involved, on the forums (not necessarily modding). Then they need to learn how to mod, and then we help them.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

awesome24712 wrote:I don't believe anyone here would work for so long, 10-year forum member or not, if there isn't much reward to it. You, Draco, I believe one of the reasons you left before was that you didn't receive as much feedback for JPDS as you hoped for.

We need to get more people aware, involved, on the forums (not necessarily modding). Then they need to learn how to mod, and then we help them.
I'd rather we didn't rattle the bee hive, there were several factors that lead to Draco leaving these forums, some of them not totally related to Trespasser at all but in fact his own personal life. What is important is that despite everything, Draco did make JPDS and he did release it where many others have failed to do so, I'm sure Draco understands what the community does need in regards to getting some action going as he's lived the dramas of being a Trespasser modder himself, personally I do not mod it anymore because it's not going anywhere and any one level the size of a retail level is too much for one person to work on, small minilev based levels are fine but anything bigger becomes too much.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I would believe we, for starters, would need a really in-depth editing tutorial, that would be easy to access to new members. Some projects have been put on hold or abandoned because there was either no help to get, or they got stuck. Many times because of the palette space ran out. There are new member from time to time that wants to edit, but either they having problems and the lack of help, or they don't get enough of feedback.
From what I've notice during the last yeras is the feedback people get in fan-made levels. Most people either have the lack of time to play them, or they aren't interested enough to do so. There is also the lack of feedback in the way people say what they didn't like etc.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmmm. Well this has certainly got me thinking. I would love to make tutorials in some ways, and not others... Mainly I feel I'm currently too far removed from the modding scene to go in-depth on such matters. It would probably surface after some hardcore modding sessions, which will have to wait. Still. I feel that there is some truth in this, that assistance to mods should come in the form of instruction. Once I have time to browse the forums fully on a regular basis, and as my memory starts to come back, I should be able to help mods this way.

I want to point out with some discontent that Trespasser Twilight has no download space on the mainpage...?! It's the single most useful tool to emerging Trespasser modders and apparently someone has to look at the link in my signature to get it. It contains a plethora of instructional material and highly intuitive file arrangment. Could someone please list it in the download section?