Stargate

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Stargate

Post by machf »

Maybe using ASA amimation scripts to handle the rotation would be best... as each glyph has a position in a 360-degree circle. That's 360/37=~9.73 degrees intervals. Easy to handle, really. Something like this:

Code: Select all

group Trig_DHD35-00 = {
  string Class = "CCollisionTrigger"
  int FireCount = -1
  int ActionType = 26
  string AnimationName = "RotateTo35" 
}

Code: Select all

version 1

object SG_Ring-00

frame 0
pos 0 0 0
rot 0 0 0 1
scale 1

frame 30
pos 0 0 0
rot 0 340.54 0 0
scale 1

end_object
(this is assuming rotation angles are in degrees, in radians it would be 5.94 instead)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Post by hppav »

So it seems we have come full circle...

Oh and the level will start at the SGC before you head out rather than when you arrive at the planet.

I have the blast doors down because nothing else is modeled yet. I just want to show you how nerdy I am by knowing the big one exists :lol: I did some researching into the layout of the SGC, which changes so much that there is no definitive layout for it. In Season 1 the Infirmary is on Level 28 with the quarantine room being a surgery room, later on the infirmary is on a higher level of the SGC and is a separate entity from the quarantine room, and that's just one of a million things that just change.

Anyway, in the first dialing sequence which is done by the computer of the SGC rather than the player, this is how it would be scripted:

>Play alarm on loop.
>Play sound of gate turning
>Rotate to first glyph
>Set Chevron 7 and 1 to "On"
>Animation of Chevron 7 locking while playing sound.
>Play clip of Walter saying "Chevron 1 engaged."
>Set Chevron 7 to "Off"
>Repeat for 2-6
>Rotate to the Point of Origin
>Set Chevron 7 to "On"
>Animation of Chevron 7 locking while playing sound.
>Play clip of Walter saying "Chevron 7 locked."
>Play sound of wormhole activating (The Rrrr Rrrr sound)
>Animated Mesh "Ka-woosh" and Kawoosh sound.
>Show stabilized wormhole.
>Play loop of active wormhole.
>Activate teleport trigger (Fire Expression is an awesome function 8) )
>Play sound of person walking into event horizon as the trigger fires
>Deactivate the gate and stop all sounds after the player is teleported.

Seems simple enough and I have a selection of sounds ripped from the show that I would just have to put into a TPA file.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You're going to use teleports? I'd rather go with level load triggers for the different planets...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Well, this first level is just a test level based on the old Preview level. A sort of expanded remake with an SG-1 gate instead of the Atlantis gate, that way I can troubleshoot some of the problems with the features of that level as well as get stuff working in one level that I could use to put together longer levels.

A full campaign would probably have an SGC level and separate levels throughout the campaign for each location, with the SGC level being the "tutorial" level that ends with you leaving via the Stargate. I've already got an interesting idea for how the campaign would play out, I should run the idea by Slugger (as he has a more advanced understanding of Stargate than I do, I have recently started re-watching the show from the beginning though).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

BTW, I'm a Stargate fan too, just FYI...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

This is going to be interesting. Will this using scripting in a way we haven't seen before in any fan level? :)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Kinda.

Slugger's Stargate is more complicated on a scripting level due to all the animated textures for each glyph. This one would use ASA animations rather than animating textures and ASA animation is probably the easiest thing to do since TresEd gives you the animation info.

Of course the down side of using ASA is that the animation has to have a starting rotation for the object to rotate. This means that every time the gate goes to dial a glyph it has to start at a starting point that will most likely not match the last glyph engaged. Of course most players wouldn't pay that close attention, they just want it to spin. In the words of General Hammond in the episode "200": Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.

The offworld gates are going to be easier as the inner ring doesn't spin when a DHD is used (This comes from the Stargate Wiki, I also remember hearing that the prop gate put out in the filming location was just one solid piece, unlike the one in the SGC)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, since the animation is only necessary in the SGC, rather than do an ASA for each glyph, I could do one ASA for the inner ring dialing the story specific address and another ASA animating the moving parts of the 7th chevron. Had I looked into this sooner, I could have saved myself all the trouble I just went through doing all these ASA animations (which I messed up and somehow only got 38 increments instead of 39 anyway).

EDIT 2: Hey, here's a video of the ASA animations. I still haven't made a new top light to be animated during the Chevron locking sequence.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bARHL0dL2g[/youtube]

EDIT 3: Got the Chevrons remodeled so the top light goes up and down as well, and I also have the Chevrons textures animated. I just needed 2 frames, on and off, as the Milky Way gate only has a light on one side, unlike the Atlantis gate which has a light that is on both sides and the edge.

It looks pretty cool in motion. I just can't wait until I get my sound collection in a TPA set and sync them to the actions of the gate. Once all that's done, then all that would be left for the SGC gate would be the Kawoosh. After that it will be on to an offworld gate, which should be simpler to animate it's just the DHD part that'll be complicated.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nice.
I was waiting for the wormhole to open after that...
:wink:
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nice. Seeing that room so empty and big, kinda reminds me of some older 90's games.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Now that is rather impressive, hppav! :D

Looks fantastic, can't wait to go and play this.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Hydrasaur
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Hydrasaur »

Big Stargate fan here... That's super cool. I liked the Atlantis one too but spinning IS cooler than not spinning. :lol: I do think the chevron closes back up and gate starts spinning again a *little* too quickly, which should show up when you get to the sounds. Oh and you know, I'm not sure doing a bunch of gates/planets in one level is the best idea, mostly from the errors and hazards of multiple triggers and targets that are almost the same. Makes more sense to just plug them into their own levels, as if the Stargate were a set of objs to import by itself. Nice SGC too!
"CUT OFF ONE HEAD, TWO MORE—"
*Bam*
"You heard the man, let's find two more!"
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

I ordered Seasons 1-3 of SG1 on DVD (Seasons 2 and 3 have come in) and have been starting to use it to help me start making the various modules of the SGC. Making each module separately will speed up the creation of the SGC level tremendously as most of it outside of a few select rooms are just redressed versions of a few different modules on the set. The most iconic of which is the central hallway that connects the gate room/control room/elevators.

And here's the logo for the intro:
For those who don't know, Trajan Pro is the font used in the show.

I do think the chevron closes back up and gate starts spinning again a *little* too quickly, which should show up when you get to the sounds.
Well it was a simple animation test, obviously it would be tweaked before the first level is released.
Oh and you know, I'm not sure doing a bunch of gates/planets in one level is the best idea, mostly from the errors and hazards of multiple triggers and targets that are almost the same. Makes more sense to just plug them into their own levels, as if the Stargate were a set of objs to import by itself.
I said that I was wanting to do that to make an extended version of Slugger's level using the Milky Way gate as a sort of test level. I have since decided against it and decided to focus on the main level series instead.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

hppav wrote:I ordered Seasons 1-3 of SG1 on DVD (Seasons 2 and 3 have come in) and have been starting to use it to help me start making the various modules of the SGC.
So, after you're done, you won't have any use for the DVDs? :wink:
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

machf wrote:
hppav wrote:I ordered Seasons 1-3 of SG1 on DVD (Seasons 2 and 3 have come in) and have been starting to use it to help me start making the various modules of the SGC.
So, after you're done, you won't have any use for the DVDs? :wink:
:lol: Now I didn't say that.... Anyway I went to the pawn shop in the next town and found Seasons 4, 8, and 9 for sale and got them cheaper than I would have online (no shipping). Four more seasons to buy and I'll have the entire series... Then I'll have to start buying Atlantis seasons.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I wonder if this will be the most expensive Trespasser fan created stuff we have seen :P