Pine Valley Duplicate

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Pine Valley Duplicate

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Thanks Tatu and I'm sorry for throwing such a fit. It's just that I've been asking for a good while and I felt like I was being ignored.

Also, that makes sense considering some things look nicer in Software. I really only use software to read text on signs anyway. (you know since Primary Display has a bad habit of blurring text and some things on textures depending upon the situation.)

On the bright side, I won't have to port over the Tribe B Raptor textures since the demo level has them.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Post by awesome24712 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Also, that makes sense considering some things look nicer in Software. I really only use software to read text on signs anyway. (you know since Primary Display has a bad habit of blurring text and some things on textures depending upon the situation.)
The terrain also looks nicer in software. Indeed, hardware mode does make a lot of textures blurry. Software mode's can be too crisp sometimes, however, and is more prone to texture glitches.

Software mode is also MUCH more stable when it comes to higher draw distances. Just don't ask it to render any 24-bit textures. :P
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

For renaming them, I havent even touched a Trespasser file in so long I could be throwing you off a twenty foot cliff without realizing it but:

SWP Files can easily be renamed by their file name, there's nothing else you need to do with them, PID is the same, since PID relies on the SWP having the same name but different extensions.
In the SCN file IIRC there is a reference or references to other level files, you might need to open it in a hex editor like XVI32 and search for ".GRF" ".WTD" ".PID" ".SWP" and see what comes up.
GRF files are the same as SCN files basically except that SCN files contain Scene state information (which is why save files can replace scene files) with the exception that SCN files are the only files that contain partition data.

You might need to refer to the File Formats page in machf's signature just to double check it. I can't really be of much help other than that.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Usually, when I end up with a 24-bit texture, I convert it to 256 color just because it will still appear transparent. (though it loses a bit of quality in the process.) There are a few occasions where I don't really mess with it though, such as sniper scopes for instance. I mainly just do it for larger 24-bit textures as a precautionary measure since Tres can only handle so many 24-bit textures. (supposedly)

Edit: Also thanks Rex. Just to be safe, I'm probably going to stick to what I'm doing though since I really don't like the idea of editing the retail and beta level files if I can keep from it for obvious reasons. Better safe than sorry you know. Plus I have other plans anyway after this duplicate is finished regarding the map.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Done. I made some changes to the level that I know can cause unwanted crashes and some other fixes.

Code: Select all

-Changed terrain objects to the PV palette.
-Imported all remaining terrain objects from PV into DEMO level.
-Imported physics from JPDS to the triceratops ones.
-Renamed "VGiant Felled Tree00" to "VGiant_Felled_Tree00" to fix a serious problem causing many crashes in TresEd.
(An object should never have spaces in their name. For some reason some dev left this object like this in several levels and when moving or deleting this object cause TresEd to crash most of the times)
Both the PV and DEMO level use the same palette, but I still changed it just in case. However, I took the time to import all terrain objects from PV into DEMO at the same time.
I also added the physics Draco made to the dead triceratops bones from JPDS~Plains so people have better experience with that.

I don't know if you have notice, but be sure to check all the trees and folige in the basement. I saw atleast one broken tree that had physics, but there where no script attached to the main object itself, which might be added or copied from another level.

Also, I notice Anne doesn't hold the Spas shotgun right, be sure to check that out and import it from another level to fix the issue (and replace the meshes and instances during import), if you didn't know that already.

I suggest you play it in-game to see first just in case I did something wrong. (I checked so it worked in-game, but be sure to look so everything looks as it should with textures etc.)

There should be no reason why you should run out of texture space now. The original DEMO level had the maximum of 6.3MB texture space comparing to the new one which got 20.1MB texture space. Also the new one only use 0.4MB out of the 20.1MB comparing to the old one using 2.6MB out of the 6.3MB.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?3ejc16rn3ubnvaw
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah, I accidentally ended up porting the weapons magnets From beta PV. Though, it was kinda neccessary. I can easily fix that though thankfully. The Hunting Rifle has a similar problem as well in Beta PV and I ported that over by mistake as well. Did port over the textures though as they already exist in the level for both weapons. But thank you Tatu, I'll try it out.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Yeah, I accidentally ended up porting the weapons magnets From beta PV. Though, it was kinda necessary. I can easily fix that though thankfully. The Hunting Rifle has a similar problem as well in Beta PV and I ported that over by mistake as well.
It's pretty easy to fix those broken magnets. All they require is re-positioning. I had to re-position the magnets of the drum G3 for my Craters level. Just keep adjusting it until you find the right spot.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
tatu

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:Yeah, I accidentally ended up porting the weapons magnets From beta PV. Though, it was kinda necessary. I can easily fix that though thankfully. The Hunting Rifle has a similar problem as well in Beta PV and I ported that over by mistake as well.
It's pretty easy to fix those broken magnets. All they require is re-positioning. I had to re-position the magnets of the drum G3 for my Craters level. Just keep adjusting it until you find the right spot.
You probably save more time by re-import it from another level. Re-positioning them without having experience about it can take more than since you have to test it out in-game just to be sure. But it's always a good opportunity to learn when you have the problem now!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I have a problem. The new swp didn't have the dinos mipmapped. This normally wouldn't be an issue but for some reason everytime I port over the dinos the game crashes when I load the level. Any idea what might be causing it? I was thinking it was the Para since it's not actually used in the level itself. However, Geomadd's error checker doesn't have a clue. I was also thinking it had to do with me adding the mipmap command in but I'm not sure tbh.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:I have a problem. The new swp didn't have the dinos mipmapped. This normally wouldn't be an issue but for some reason everytime I port over the dinos the game crashes when I load the level. Any idea what might be causing it? I was thinking it was the Para since it's not actually used in the level itself. However, Geomadd's error checker doesn't have a clue. I was also thinking it had to do with me adding the mipmap command in but I'm not sure tbh.
IIRC the minimap thingy/script/whatever can only be added BEFORE you import any dinosaur, otherwise the level will crash.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You can't modifiy the bool MipMap value after you've imported the dinosaurs, you must do it in the .values.txt file before importing them.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I did do it before I imported them into the level. It's weird....

Here's the directory. I ported the physics objects out separately because I wanted to port the multiple copies of the dinos out as well. And before you ask, yes I ported over the Anchors, that's not the issue.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2n1bvwd15itha8v
That's the directory in my Pine Valley assets folder I have them stored. See if you can help me figure out why they aren't working properly when I import them.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I see a what could be a problem. You have exported everything into several files. Just select the dinosaur and export it as a TPM, and it will auto-export every sub-psysics. You should never export or import a dinosaur file after file.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

So, I should try importing them one at a time? Or completely redo them? It's annoying because I was trying to keep the original positions of the animals but I guess it doesn't like multiple dinos of the same species exported or imported at once. Right?
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:So, I should try importing them one at a time? Or completely redo them? It's annoying because I was trying to keep the original positions of the animals but I guess it doesn't like multiple dinos of the same species exported or imported at once. Right?
What Draco and I did was we exported the base animals ( all dinosaurs with 00-00 or -00 or without -00 at all ) to individual files for themselves, naming them the same as their model name, then we opened both the original PV level and the new one, we imported the dinosaurs into 0,0,32 and we moved them to the exact same location as the original level by copying and pasting the X,Y,Z co-ordinates as well as rotations.

BTW, IIRC bumpmapped dinosaurs are not mipmapped as far as I remember, you also cannot modify several values pertaining to bumpmaps due to the complexity these values incur during import time, the hashes are modified by the Diffuse value if I remember right... Animals are very picky, I usually didn't mess with anything in them except the AI routines and their related informations such as mass, length, reach etc.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!