Pine Valley Duplicate

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Pine Valley Duplicate

Post by machf »

RexHunter99 wrote: What Draco and I did was we exported the base animals ( all dinosaurs with 00-00 or -00 or without -00 at all ) to individual files for themselves, naming them the same as their model name, then we opened both the original PV level and the new one, we imported the dinosaurs into 0,0,32 and we moved them to the exact same location as the original level by copying and pasting the X,Y,Z co-ordinates as well as rotations.
I do it in a simpler way: export the base object first and import it into the new level; then select all the clones, de-selecting the base object, export them together, import them into the new level... pretty easy, really.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

One thing I did change was the Stego at the end of the level. As we know, he has no physics or actual scripting. I fixed him in my previous PV edit. Probably should have ported that code over instead... Fun note though, if you get that Steg working, you can get it and the Trike nearby to fight each other with a little provocation. It's a very slow fight but it's fun to watch.

On another note, machf, I like your method. Thank you for the advice. I'll try that. Quick question, are there certain items I shouldn't use bool mipmap = false on? Figured I'd ask before making another mistake. Also, is it possible to rename object clones to be separate objects from the base one within TresEd? The reason I ask is because doing it externally can be tedious. (even though in this case I won't need to if all goes well.)
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:One thing I did change was the Stego at the end of the level. As we know, he has no physics or actual scripting. I fixed him in my previous PV edit. Probably should have ported that code over instead... Fun note though, if you get that Steg working, you can get it and the Trike nearby to fight each other with a little provocation. It's a very slow fight but it's fun to watch.

On another note, machf, I like your method. Thank you for the advice. I'll try that. Quick question, are there certain items I shouldn't use bool mipmap = false on? Figured I'd ask before making another mistake. Also, is it possible to rename object clones to be separate objects from the base one within TresEd? The reason I ask is because doing it externally can be tedious. (even though in this case I won't need to if all goes well.)
THe other way around, certain items require you to define MipMaps = false, setting them true increases the render time (bigger textures need to be traversed more slowly as there's more memory mappings done both CPU and GPU side) typically I've set dinosaurs all to have no mipmaps especially if they have no bumpmaps since GeomAdd really stuffs up the mipmaps (Andres used a really low-resolution filter to filter the original texture down into new mips)

Generally: Billboards should have mipmaps off, like the big flat grouped tree textures, the 2D board representations of the tree models could do with it too (if you manage to fix up their LoD values so they get used when we pump up the draw distance, since at 400-600 meters a lower resolution model can be used in place of the current one.)

In regards to those Detail00 and Detail01 models, I had an argument with Draco where I tried to explain to him that by using them we can have nice quality trees that are rendered at less expense in the distance for those users with beefy computers who can run levels on max draw distance, of course Draco had to do things his way and had these extremely high poly trees that revert to cached images about three feet away from you, which peeved me off since they were gorgeous and he was being obtuse.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Things have been going smoothly. I've had a few mishaps with replacing textures but thankfully, I backed up. (a lot of times adding new textures would cause crashes for certain objects... For a while I couldn't even place the Base Terrain because of that. Thankfully, I finally managed to do it. )

I've started porting over dinosaurs (I'm not being nitpicky on what I get done first really.) I had to change the name of the T-Rex's mouth texture because the level didn't like me replacing it for some reason. Probably has something to do with the Alpha Rex leftover from the demo.

After I get dinosaurs out of the way (and repair the Stego at the end of the level so it can face the Trike in an epic battle.) I'm probably going to start adding the Geothermal plant buildings in. (or add the rest of the power lines as that needs to be done as well.)

Just so I could port positions over better, I duplicated the in level green T-Rex. The duplicate will probably be moved somewhere out of bounds when things are all said and done along with the leftover demo crap.

Now, there's the deal with the Para that doesn't get used in PV, should I add it into the level after I'm finished with the other things?

Also, Tatu, see if any of the devs have that awesome Green T-Rex model still. I've coveted that thing for a long time and it would be great to have it finally.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Also, Tatu, see if any of the devs have that awesome Green T-Rex model still. I've coveted that thing for a long time and it would be great to have it finally.
I've already asked. Since I don't know what they got if they have anything, we might get in the future, who knows. If I had it, you would have it already. However, who knows what will come up in the future!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well you tried. Maybe SI or somebody can make a copy of that skin for the OG T-Rex model if worst comes to worst.

Speaking of models, I was looking through the prototype models that you pm'd me this past fall Tatu. I noticed the earliest of the files dates back to sometime in July of 1997. (forget the actual day.) I'm wondering how far back in 1997 production was started. I have heard the initial concept phase was back in 1996 but that doesn't mean it started there.

Oh, btw:
Sacrifical Altar have an altar, some bones, and the sacrificial dagger somewhere hard to get to. sacrificial dagger could be an extra-damaging weapon) Needs: altar asset - can be hacked from existing maps probably.
from the secrets .doc that came with the source code. It's not actual code so I'm assuming it's safe to post. Kinda fits the description of the Mayan Ruins here in PV a little don't you think? As a matter of fact, I was thinking about using it. Though in the file it has the location marked "Ascent 1?" At that point they hadn't decided I guess. I could be wrong, however the ruins look like an alter to me. Though, the Hidden Villiage was originally in that area as well according to the texture on the ground...

Btw, the Stego at the end of the level is now functional.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote: Speaking of models, I was looking through the prototype models that you pm'd me this past fall Tatu. I noticed the earliest of the files dates back to sometime in July of 1997. (forget the actual day.) I'm wondering how far back in 1997 production was started. I have heard the initial concept phase was back in 1996 but that doesn't mean it started there.
You can see traces in the source that they already started in 1996. For example: "\Source\Game\DesignDaemon\DaemonScript.CPP" you can see the modifying date in the document:
" *1 11/16/96 4:59p Pkeet
*Initial implementation."

I would guess they started doing most models during that time in 1997 based on those and the mystery models.

I even got a dev said he joined the team in 1994, however, I think he typed or remembered it wrong.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I'm having a little issue:
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SCondenserStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SWellheadStatusPanel-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SReinjectionStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SReservoirStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "STransformerStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "STurbineStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SWellheadStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SCoolingTowerStatus-00", value Anim01
What program do I use to extract the animation?
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:I'm having a little issue:
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SCondenserStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SWellheadStatusPanel-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SReinjectionStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SReservoirStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "STransformerStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "STurbineStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SWellheadStatus-00", value Anim01
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\demo\P_StatBrdPCA_Grn00t2.bmp", used in CInstance "SCoolingTowerStatus-00", value Anim01
What program do I use to extract the animation?
TresEd. They are usally place in an invisible instances in a bit underground the object that needs it. In this situation you need to find "P_StatBrdPCA_Red00t2.bmp-00" and import that into your level and it should work. :)

Stuff like waterfalls/computers (like the one in IT)/keycards etc all have this, you just have to find the object that contains the textures, often named something with .bmp etc.

There are several ones in PV, for keypads etc. Just search for ".bmp" and you will find most (if not all) of them.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Thanks Tatu.

Edit:
For some strange reason, the missing texture isn't showing up when I search for it.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:For some strange reason, the missing texture isn't showing up when I search for it.
What do you mean? And search where?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

tatu wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:For some strange reason, the missing texture isn't showing up when I search for it.
What do you mean? And search where?
Searching for it in TresEd. I could only find the Red version, not the green. And I used the .bmp search like you said.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh, select the object "P_StatBrdPCA_Red00t2.bmp-00" and press "B" and the Green texture is on the same object.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

OH! nice. Thank you very much.

Edit: That didn't do anything. It tells me its there but I can't extract it... and Geomadd still detects it as missing... Someone else who knows what they're doing may have to extract it and upload it so I can add it in.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Just import it into the level. GeomAdd tends to still report animated textures as missing even if they are there and work.
P_StatBrdPCA_Red00t2.bmp-00.zip
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 405 times