Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: The Lost World/Trespasser Vehicle Series 1: Unimog

Post by Road Warrior »

Thanks guys.

Due to work and other concerning factors I have not made as much progress on the jeeps as I would have liked. I do have the hardtop version almost complete so I thought I would show it. I tried to go by the original game mesh(the wrecked one) as much as possible but in the end I only used it to get the basic size and shape- as alot of the game mesh is..."funky" at best. Hope you like. More to come when time allows.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Thanks, these will possibly prove invaluable.

Forgot about the jeep for the moment and have been upgrading the water-tanker. She will no longer be a possible gaming model but I feel like I must do the thing justice. I could very well be crazy. Should have some new wip pics by tomorrow.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Ok, a day or so late but here is the promised wip shot of the Water-Tanker 2.0. Instead of being 100 percent acurate I am going for a more "inspired by" look as I can only find so much info and images about certain areas on the real-life vehicle. As you can tell from the pic, some areas have received an upgrade while others have not. Hope to have this one finished soon.

As I have said before texture work is beyond me so instead of applying the logo to the door as a graphic I modeled it as well.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

That looks brilliant mate!

Do i dare ask the poly count? :-)

As far as not knowing about texturing, do you mean just the art itself or creating the U.V's too?
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Thanks!

The poly count isn't too bad considering. It's currently 20,995. Most of those are in the tires. My main problem is that boolean are either extremely difficult to acheive or just impossible with Wings 3d- unless you place each and every vert by hand. So alot of my process is working around that very thing. I have found that it is better to apply detail on top of the mesh rather than cut details into it, that said, alot of stuff is faked like the inset bits on the wheel rims. Those are hollow cylinders placed on the surface instead of cylindrical cuts into the wheel. I might go anal and model them all in; but I highly doubt it.

I can do the texturing just fine. Unwrapping is...ok, but when it comes to my "old as the hills" render engine(which really isn't designed for such a thing - Bryce-7 btw) it just all goes downhill. Nothing lines up properly during the few times I have tried my hand at texturing and if there are more then say 15 different textures for as many surfaces the program becomes unresponsive and or crashes. So,....I just don't do textures.:(
codemunk3y
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by codemunk3y »

Road Warrior,

as someone that drives and rides in Mogs on a regular occurrence, your models are outstanding.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Thank you sir. That means alot. :)