Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Re: Visitor Center WIP

Post by hppav »

Well, it's been more than 24 hours since my last post so here's a new update.

Didn't have much time to work on it today so I primarily focused on getting what I had done of the 2nd floor in game so I could work from there. There's no physics for it yet, but it looks cool enough to show off.

Here's the Control Room. Currently empty but that won't last long. I fixed the proportions of my older model and created newer and better looking textures for the walls.

"Hold on to your butts... Um..."

Looking over at where Nedry's station will be located.

Genetics Lab. This is the first and only model of the Genetics Lab I've ever made. Still looks top quality compared to the first versions of other rooms I had made over the years :P

And here's an inside shot. Just to the right would be the incubator. You can see the Control Room windows through the windows on the far wall... And I will note that the floor was a pain to figure out the first time :lol:
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

nice work,any chance you can get the seated tour part working in trespasser? would be very cool and I'm guessing be like a platform animation or something?.I thought about trying it but the visitor center became such a burden because of the accuracy.I take it you tried the Jurassic life version also?.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Well, the problem with the seated tour is that you could have a magnet at the center point of rotation for the tour itself and have an object "push" it on cue... but Trespasser has a $ object limit of about 11-12. Theoretically though one could use CEntityAttached to connect separate meshes together that have their own group of subobjects, but I'm not really experienced in that. I'll have to play around with it.

The other option would be ASA animation, but the player wouldn't be able to ride in it as that kind of animation causes the physics to temporarily disable for the object until the animation is complete.

And I saw the video of a walk through of the Jurassic Life version of the Visitor Center. Not really a fan of it, personally. Really huge and has too much going on, which I guess is more realistic for what an actual Visitor Center for a place expecting so many visitors would be like, but the one in the movie wasn't portrayed as being that complicated. And they also make the common mistake of thinking the Control Room is underground, even though they climb the stairs to take the seated tour and the map on the computer says "level 2." It gets the point across though.

And yeah, the Visitor Center comes with a lot of pressure to get it right. I've spent years trying to do it :lol:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

There's another option, hppav, which is using separate structures, each one with a number of $objects below the limit, and use magnets to hold them together...
I've noticed that CEntityAttached breaks away when the $objects get in contact with the main CInstance's ones...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

hppav wrote:I've spent years trying to do it :lol:
And it shows 8)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Well, I don't know a whole lot about what can be done with magnets, :lol: F'n magnets, how do they work? :P

Anyway, didn't have much time at all over the last couple of days. Not only due to work, but due to being tired due to Inventory Prep at work. This morning was Inventory though, had the store flooded with WIS people.

What I did get done was I imported the CM5's and then created 16 security camera images and put them on the security monitors that I reimported from the JPO test level. I have the interval set to 15 as that feels pretty close to the movie. It really adds some life to the Control Room, I must say:

This small monitor is the one that Hammond/Muldoon always sit by.

Here's a closeup of the main monitors showing them cycling through. Some monitors will occasionally have the same image (like in the movie, :lol: ) The order was created by a random number generator.

And here's a closeup showing how clear the image are when you are close by:

And here's a collage of all the images I created. There are some edited screenshots from JP1 and the Making of JP1, as well as some photos from the areas where they filmed the movie:

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

There's only so many ways to say 'wow' :) Looking great!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nice...

And there was an earthquake here right as I was looking at the pictures...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Excellent work. Your passion for getting it "just right" shows.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I've never really been interested in the idea of remaking the visitor's center... but now I am.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Yeah, the Visitor Center is a rather under utilized location in the modding part of the fandom. The reason is because of how complex it is and how hard it is to get all the sets to fit together. I actually had to modify the main hall dramatically to get it to fit, but you can't tell because of how subtle I managed to do it. I mainly expanded the circumference of the main hall's rotunda slightly while lowering the front end of the ceiling to match the roof line of the exterior set, bending the front of the rotunda back over the doorway to make it fit together.

A lot of people that I have seen who have tried it only got as far as doing most of the main hall and the front exterior before giving up. I probably have the most complete movie accurate rendition of the Visitor Center done so far, :lol:

Anyway, I started in on doing more of the computers in the room:

The main screen is in. I had modified it to match the movie and made it larger so that it fills the back of the room. I still don't know if it's projected from in front or behind as you can't see any projector in the movie...

The main screen as seen from about where Nedry sits. Mipmapping makes the track lights look all white when you stand back a bit. I doubt people will pay that much attention to the lights though, :lol:

The first station in the control room to be done - the security station. This one was rather easy as it's mostly screens showing the security images I made earlier (with that one always being on the ocean for some reason). The monitor on the left is a bit of a quick shop job. Edited my blank system monitor template to make something that appeared at least similar to the screen seen in the distance in the movie. I inset a piece of concept art Draco found of the control room that pretty much matches the shot I took in game of the station.

EDIT:
Ok, made that front desk you don't really see that much in the movie. It was kinda fun to make up monitors that kinda sorta looked like the ones you see in the distance.

The middle monitor is animated, btw.

And I adjusted the first desk I imported to better match one of the photos posted in the Control Room research thread. Made those monitors bigger, pushed the security screen box back and put a keyboard in front of it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Awesome work, hppav. Nice to finally see the Control Room worked on some more. :) Will all the monitors be animated? Even a few looping frames would look awesome, especially on the big screen in the middle.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sam, amazing work as always! 8) I'm pretty sure I saw a version of your VC ingame with those working monitors... very nice stuff. They look extremely accurate and at first I thought they were directly from the film.

I want to note that during JPDS development, I linked all the BioSyn helicopter models together using CEntityAttached, and discovered VERY serious errors. It was rotating slowly on its own and doing really weird stuff... I think there were random particles being emitted from a collision somewhere within the model... And as I recall (and I just tested to be sure), the submodel limit is 10 (Model00 - Model09), not 12. Also, the limit of actions per trigger is 16 (had thought it was 10 all this time but I just went and tested), not 100 (I read this recently, don't remember if it was in this thread).
hppav wrote:I had an awkward moment when I accidentally hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete instead of Ctrl+F11 and Tres lost the textures, turning everything black:

That looks kinda cool, :lol:
ZOMG that is awesome :lol: Damn, doesn't seem to work on this comp.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Looks like a teaser shot 8)
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

you can tell whenever I'm building something based on the film set's because I go from Google image searching to your threads...and I swore I wouldn't attempt to build this stuff months ago ..dammit.