Post by Second Illiteration »

And dinosaurs....lots of dinosaurs though it isn't ecologically realistic
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Maximum Terrain Size Test

Post by Draconisaurus »

I want to point out that the "JPDS1 terrain" (IslaSornaNorth.wtd) is 4096x4096. While North-to-South this is only about half filled, the entirety of JPDS does extend across the entire West-to-East distance of 4096 (and more if you count the Mayan Tunnels out beyond the ocean). When it was all still one level, we actually did reach the max object limit of 65536.

Another interesting thing is that TresEd does not render the terrain infinitely. If you go to the JPDS basement, then fly a ways North in TresEd, you will see that the white ground area (where trnobjs are still rendered in TresEd) ends at a certain point. I had to move the JPDS terrain position to compensate for this; at some point the northern mountains were absent in TresEd (except in Terrain Edit Mode).

I also want to agree that making a level that large is a bad idea. For one, the number of objects needed to fill such a space, unless it is something very long and narrow, is enough to make Tres unstable on many computers, by my judgment. Also, a terrain this size is not in the retail/beta. Terrain generated by TresEd, using heightmaps, is extremely hazardous - moreso the larger your terrain file is. The latest version of TC Isle has buried some parts of meshes that used to be visible, being edited since the original version. For JPDS, we had to finalize the terrain and mandate no further edits in order to keep a consistent height. Though I hear from Tatu that machf managed to use some kind of script to export the JPDS terrain to a stable format - didn't look much into this since it was too late.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Does anyone have any info on why Trespasser can't use 8192*8192?

I have a Studio Max created terrain which measure 8192*8192 and have successfully mange to make it run inside Trespasser CE. The game area itself is 5120*3328, but converting it to WTD with GUIApp adds the missing terrain so it ends up to be 8192*8192.

I haven't flown around yet so I haven't checked if the terrain renders correctly everywhere. It also runs in GUIApp CE.

And I haven't noticed any problems of TresEd not rending the terrain after a point as Draco noticed.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds epic! Wondering how stable it remains w/objects and such around..
tatu wrote:And I haven't noticed any problems of TresEd not rending the terrain after a point as Draco noticed.
The TresEd render boundaries I have mentioned seem to be based on the maximum dimensions of Trespasser levels taken as a whole, so this is no surprise. :)