Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TeraGammaRaptor
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Carnotaurus?

Post by TeraGammaRaptor »

Is there a way to create a dinosaur that's like half transparent, or somehow mingle with triggers so you can create a carnotaurus like in the TLW novel and arcade?
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Carnotaurus?

Post by Second Illiteration »

There is a way involving triggers and an animated texture. I can't fully explain how it's done, since I don't know much about texture animations, but I can tell you how I made the texture for it. Basically you take the carnotaurus model and make sure it has one BMP file for the texture. Just one. Then you decide where you are going to place the carnotaurus, and what it needs to blend in with. In the test Machf and I did, we placed the carnotaurus in front of a wall. So then I went and painted the original BMP texture to look like the wall. That way the dinosaur looked like the wall. Then in my photo editing program I made a few copies and changed the transparency of the wall texture so that in each one, a bit more of the original dinosaur texture showed through until it was just the dinosaur texture. When animated together it made the dinosaur look like it was blended in with the wall and when you approached where it was, it's skin changed and it's eye opened up and then it would attack you.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Post by awesome24712 »

S.I., wouldn't you rather have the texture animate to transparency rather than a wall, so the Carnotaurus could blend in with any backround? :?:

Or, although definitely not as good looking or smooth as animated textures, you could just use ActionType 22, CHideShowAction. It might look better at night (like the novel) with the Carnotaurus already having a dark texture so when it turned invisible it wouldn't be so noticeable...
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

I don't know how either of those situations work. I know the way me and machf did it looked pretty good (other than low texture resolution on the carnotaurus because it was just one 256x256 texture). Those ways you propose might work to create some invisibility, but I feel like the way we did it was more realistic, at least in terms of the behavior in the book. Once the dinosaurs or their surroundings were disturbed, their camo was useless and they no longer blended it. Making them invisible wouldn't be the same as that, and nothing natural can actual turn invisible.

HOWEVER, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying new things and seeing what results they produce...you never know what might be discovered :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I think Drac made partially invisible dinosaurs in that "haunted" level he released one (which wasn't for Halloween but for Christmas or something else)...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Speaking of a color Changing Carnotaurus, the Lost World Jurassic Park arcade game by Sega has a Carnotaurus that can blend in and reappear. His eyes also move in two directions at once like a Chameleon's oddly... Let's see if I can find a video of it....
There aren't any good videos of it on youtube sadly this was the best I could do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L99J40Xs49c about 1:30 in the video or so and onwards.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Yeah I've seen that game at the arcade long ago. Some cool stuff in it