Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake / Re-Telling

Post by machf »

Looks really good...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon
Antispam: No

Post by awesome24712 »

The grass texture looks like it needs to be scaled down some.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

awesome24712 wrote:The grass texture looks like it needs to be scaled down some.
I have actually adjusted the scale of a few of the terrain textures since that shot was taken. I originally set the scale of the terrain textures at about 0.125 to give them a large low res look to try and mimic the original game. Since I've been importing more and more textured buildings, the texture resolution for buildings was better and didn't match the terrain. The scale is now 0.25, which has doubled the res, but is still a quarter of the original res. I'm trying to keep the resolution for everything pretty consistent throughout, so nothing looks significantly better.

I've only got Wu's house and Hammond's house to import and the town is pretty much complete.

Edit:

I had to cut my message short as i was heading out.

Some of the buildings have been a bit troublesome to import because they dont use a traditional floor. The floor for the buildings was just a decal on the terrain, which is very impractical in Cryengine. I've had to build concrete slabs under the houses and then make floors with the appropriate textures for living rooms and bathrooms etc. For some of the larger buildings like saloon, ingeneral, diner and gas station, i didnt bother making a floor and just used a big concrete decal as a floor slab.

I'm working on Wu's house right now and its a real bitch. The model has a lot of different materials for the water damaged areas and i think to keep it within limits ill have to remove a few of these. The model is quite low poly too, even compared to the smaller houses. The roof does not extend out over the exterior walls, the windows are not recessed, and the interior ceiling connects with the exterior roof in areas, which is just one more annoying thing to fix.

With most of these buildings i've had to remake the ceilings and floors to seal them up, as any gaps allows light to come in, or allow you to see outside.

They did a great job of saving polys by making the models this way, but boy its been a pain to fix them!
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Have been meaning to ask...

Being a fan are there any other Jurassic Park related game ideas/concepts that you have had? Any assumed but yet unseen areas/things you would like to see explored?
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

I thought this would be interesting to share here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8z-On6FBTM[/youtube]
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Its good looking stuff the Stem system.

The only concern i have is the ever evolving nature of the technology, can lead to fast obsoletion of older models. Hopefully this new Stem Pack setup will be used for the next coupe of years by numerous developers and manufacturers.

I want a Razer Hydra for the project, as it will allow for some truly awesome control that is simply not possible with any other setup. I'll be working with keyboard and mouse to begin with, but then as soon as that is sorted, focusing on Hydra + Rift specific controls and features.

I just recently had a programmer jump on board the project, and he sounds pretty keen to get started work. The first step is to get the player movement and controls sorted, then moving onto other aspects of the game.

I had to get my butt into gear and make a demo level with the latest version of the SDK. So for that i had to finish the new heightmap and get the hang of the new editor. All up its taken very little time to make this level, and the results are already better than anything ive made with CE2.

The new engine is very nice, and although its taken some time to work out the changes and updates, i think it will be a big improvement over the last engine. I just hope Crytek get their butts into gear and support the Rift. And.. not make any radical changes that screws up the work i've done.

Here are some older shots, the maps looking a lot more filled out now, with improved lighting.

Tech Demo HD by Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake, on Flickr

TechDemo 01 by Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake, on Flickr

TechDemo 03 by Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake, on Flickr

TechDemo 04 by Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake, on Flickr

TechDemo 05 by Trespassing - A Trespasser Remake, on Flickr

The first thing many of you will notice is that yes, its based on the Trespasser demo, but the objects are from the retail. I'm going to leave them as they are for now, but later on i might change the models and remove the steps and the hand railings, then make it so you can only get down by shooting out the legs from under the trailer.

I am updating some of the models, increasing the detail and adding detail maps, but i wont be going too crazy, just making them a bit nicer with chamfered edges and some expected 3D detail:
model_example.png
model_example.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 9880 times
Detail maps are like nromal maps, but are universal in their application. A wood grain wont factor in the change of direction of the grain in the diffuse texture, so you can see the grain from the detail map does not match the diagonal boards on the gate. It all runs up and down. Real normal maps will take care of that, but wont happen until new hi resolution textures are made. The originals hold up pretty well though and will get me through a lot of the games development.

I'm adding a lot of stuff that wasn't in the original map, a crashed bus and one of the white ute vehicles, as well as some of the concrete foundation walls (not the big blocks) from the beach level. These smaller walls are lined with stuff you can shoot and practice your aim.

Eventually there will be dinosaurs, but that's not a priority. I want to get the movement and controls sorted so i can focus on making the island and know just where the player can get. If walls are high enough and hills steep enough, stuff like that.

Anyway, back to it..
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

Awesome - mind if we run another update with this on the website? :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Yeah go for it!

If you like, I can take some fresh shots?

Its looking a lot better now, and I can take much higher res shots.

I'll upload them to dropbox and pm the link to you.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

PM Sent ;-)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

You did really good on this. Got some serious nostalgia of my early Tres days :P
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Thanks. Its only going to get better as i learn more about the new editor and engine.

I cant wait to start working on the rest of the island!
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

It's hard to imagine that this has been going on for 3 years now.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Been following this mod since before it was even posted on this forum and I must say, wow. THIS is a true Jurassic Park game! I'm stoked to see this and be able to play a proper, finished, modern day Trespasser. Your Demo Level looks particularly stunning...brings back the memories!

My two questions: will we require any of the Crysis games to play this? If so, I've gotta go buy one of them specifically for this mod. Number two: in a later stage, will you still be using those additional areas like you planned before? Such as "Wafer Valley", the Embryonics Administration Complex and the Plains - I especially liked the idea of using the Radio Data Network towers, it really adds onto the exploration factor.

Anyway, keep up the bloody awesome work! :)
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

awesome24712 wrote:It's hard to imagine that this has been going on for 3 years now.
For me its easy ;-)
TheIdiot wrote:Been following this mod since before it was even posted on this forum and I must say, wow. THIS is a true Jurassic Park game! I'm stoked to see this and be able to play a proper, finished, modern day Trespasser. Your Demo Level looks particularly stunning...brings back the memories!

My two questions: will we require any of the Crysis games to play this? If so, I've gotta go buy one of them specifically for this mod. Number two: in a later stage, will you still be using those additional areas like you planned before? Such as "Wafer Valley", the Embryonics Administration Complex and the Plains - I especially liked the idea of using the Radio Data Network towers, it really adds onto the exploration factor.

Anyway, keep up the bloody awesome work! :)
Thanks mate.

No, you wont need any of the Crysis games, you'll need the CryEngine SDK for the TechDemo though.
This may change for the final release, but if there is any files used from the SDK, then you will need it.

I'll be adding new stuff later on, but initially ill be keeping things pretty close to the original game.

I'll have another update soon explaining what i've been up to.
Its some cool shit.