Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

TresED.. you bastard!

Post by s13n1 »

Well right now im f%&*ing furious.

I spent the best part of today learning TresED and then decided to edit the Town level and basically give it a freshen up.
This turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun and i eventually had the level looking really damned good, but i noticed as i reached the Dam
and started editing there, my machine would start to randomly freeze.

After a few crashes, my saving became more frequent and then the last time it froze, was as i was saving..
No more file.

Wtf is with TresED and this crash that locks the system? Is there a reason? Can i avoid it somehow?

Where abouts are these 'backups' stored?

I've lost everything and the file is so corrupt, Trespasser wont load it at all.

God F@#$%&* damn it.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: TresED.. you bastard!

Post by Hilwo »

I don't much care for the way you are talking about TresEd here. It is a free piece of software
created by fans in their own spare time. Its creation has given us loads of vital background information
on the game and too many fan-made levels, articles and other projects to mention. It has a purpose
for all fans, even those who just use it to view levels or use textures for other purposes such as websites.

I understand your frustration, but yelling about it isn't going to help. While I don't know the first thing
about editing in TresEd, I have read on various occasions that you should make backups. Lots of backups.
Other than that, I can't help you. Not much you can do now but maybe adjust your tone a little and wait
for the pros.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

s13n1 wrote:Well right now im f%&*ing furious.

I spent the best part of today learning TresED and then decided to edit the Town level and basically give it a freshen up.
This turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun and i eventually had the level looking really damned good, but i noticed as i reached the Dam
and started editing there, my machine would start to randomly freeze.

After a few crashes, my saving became more frequent and then the last time it froze, was as i was saving..
No more file.

Wtf is with TresED and this crash that locks the system? Is there a reason? Can i avoid it somehow?

Where abouts are these 'backups' stored?

I've lost everything and the file is so corrupt, Trespasser wont load it at all.

God F@#$%&* damn it.
Are you using vista or windows 7? If so, it may be related to a compatibility problem. Right Click on TresEd and hit properties. Click the tab that says Compatibility. Then check the box in the window that says "Run as an administrator" This should solve issues with saving.

Also, TresEd uses Open GL so be aware that it can be slow at times. Especially on older computers and some Laptops. Be sure to close all other programs currently open if you have any currently open as they can consume CPU for TresEd. Also, be sure to do a virus check too. Viruses can slow programs down. You can even have a virus even if your computer doesn't seem infected.

Hope this helps you some. If not, then I apologize.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Take this time as a lesson and make sure you *always* make backups in the future.. Lots of them. More than you think you need - because you'll need them. That's the golden rule of Tres editing, fosho'.

With regards to it crashing, as Glitch said, check compatibility stuff, but you could also try lower texture details (the pop-up box when you load a level) or turn off "High/Super High Object Terrain Detail" (three options, a combination of those words :P) under the settings...
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Hey man, Both TresEd and Trespasser are years old. Don't expect it to run as smoothly as you might be used to.

The best way to recover from a problem like this is to recover from a backup (unless you can specifically identify the problem). I once had a similar problem when making my own level... TresEd kept crashing at random intervals, sometimes after 3 seconds and other times after 3 mintues (Trespasser loaded it just fine though). After looking at the Log File, I think, I saw that the level load gave me an error where other levels would have the objects loaded or something. However, since the main differences between the backup and the crashing version was the terrain that I had made a lot of changes to, I kept most of the changes I had made by replacing the old .wtd terrain file with the new one, and most of my changes were recovered.

I also remember something about not modifying the original levels, although why exactly I cannot recall.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Crash on save is usually a Windows Compatibility issue, like glitch said. Also TresEd can be a bit of a performance hog at times so it's sometimes best to close it down and reopen it after your CPU has had time to slow back down and your memory a chance to clear. Also performance severely drops if you have tons and tons of objects on the screen at the same time. You can set the detail level, just go under Options>Detail and uncheck the various options under there to get the best performance.

And remember, TresEd is a fan made program made by one of the founding members of TresCom 8 years ago. Sometimes edited levels will not work in Trespasser, because we had absolutely ZERO official support. In fact, the developers only took notice of us after we really started making custom content on our own. They didn't think that anyone would really care enough about the game to stick with it until they succeeded in creating a modding toolset and in fact they were surprised at how much better our toolset was compared to theirs.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Hilwo, i'm quite within my rights to let off a little steam, it was censored and in no way disrespectful to the application, its creator or the members here.
I suggest you one day learn to use TresED, so the day it happens to you, you will understand.

I love TresEd, i think its fantastic and its a shame that Andres is no longer updating it.

I may be new to post here, but im in no way new to the community, i've been here for years and hope to be for many more.

Edit: Btw, where are the backup's stored? I've found nothing anywhere :-(
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

You have to manually back up your files, since TresEd only backups the level as it was prior to editing with a *.orig extension. You can delete these files after you make sure the level works with your last edit to make a new backup, but I usually save after every change then test in game and then put those files into a "Last Working Version" folder, overwriting the files in that folder.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Ash okay, i thought it may have been an automatic backup.

I might work out a backup system that automatically backs up the file whenever the file changes.

Thanks.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

s13n1 wrote:Hilwo, i'm quite within my rights to let off a little steam, it was censored and in no way disrespectful to the application, its creator or the members here.
I suggest you one day learn to use TresED, so the day it happens to you, you will understand.
You're right that you did censor your message, I guess I'm just a little protective of the software that
had cost so much spare time, was given to us for free and -like hppav said- had zero official support.
It sounded a little ungrateful in my opinion, that's all. But again, I do understand your frustration.

And to be honest, I did try. About a year ago, I had big plans for making a level of my own. I had help
from Rebel and Tatu, but don't think I told anyone else about it in case I'd fail or would lose interest.
You'd start inside a crashed plane, balancing on the edge of a cliff. Once you'd exit the plane, it'd
fall over the cliff. Got all that to work, but since it was all so complicated, I quickly lost interest after
that and abandoned it. Doesn't help that I'm about as technical as a door knob, either.

Anyway, good luck on your projects.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Its all good Hilwo, i tried to make my post sound somewhat comical, but i guess it still sounded a little aggressive.

It does appear quite difficult, im sure as i start doing some real custom work and not just modifying the retail levels, i will encounter some issues.
That plane idea sounds good, should get back into it one day.

Having to create a bounding box for many of the solids is a right pain, this is something modern games have since evolved from and the new generation of gamers and modders dont realise that all the good stuff had to be done by hand.

I'm considering my first TresED project to be a refresh of all the retail levels. Spice them up a little, align all objects and make them look how i imagine a re-release would have looked or perhaps if the Dreamworks team had a smoother development period.

I just started working on the Town again. This time ive got a big fan pointed at my open case machine, as i think heat might actually be an issue, not just TresED. Time will tell. Upon opening the unmodified retail level, i was gob smacked by how different it looked to the version i had made. I think people will really like the refresh of the levels, i'm really enjoying doing it. Nothing too major, just upping the detail a little and putting a bit more thought into weapon placement within the building and how all objects are aligned. The Town had a lot of objects under the map that were either hidden on purpose or just lost during development. Even with those objects raised to viewing level and with all objects aligned correctly and distributed evenly, the map looks heaps better, much more polished.

I'll post some screens once i get it looking a bit more how i'd like.

Once im done though, am i able to upload the refreshed maps one at a time? Or will it still be considered distributing commercial work?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

s13n1 wrote:I just started working on the Town again. This time ive got a big fan pointed at my open case machine, as i think heat might actually be an issue, not just TresED. Time will tell.
The heat might be the problem. I had the same problem a few years ago on another computer. Didn't matter how low I put the settings, TresEd just freezed all the time. Be sure not to move to fast when you fly around in it.

s13n1 wrote:Once im done though, am i able to upload the refreshed maps one at a time? Or will it still be considered distributing commercial work?
Nah, we already have several maps from the original levels uploaded anyway. So I don't see it as a problem.

A suggestion for the town. Import stuff from the beta Town too, to make it even look better ;)

And remember, editing the retail levels can make it crash and be unable to load in Trespasser. They are really unstable for TresEd. Be sure to follow the golden rule to backup A LOT.
Oh and when you're saving, be sure to check the middle box, the one which say something about generating something or whatever. Makes it more stable.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I'll have to have a quick look at the Beta Town, see what the differences are. I'm actually a Beta noob and hadn't played it till a few weeks ago. For some reason i never got around to playing it, but when i did i thoroughly enjoyed it and played right through in one sitting. The end levels are incomplete though so it was difficult to progress. I dont remember if i played summit, might have to check it out.

I really like the higher poly arm in the beta, and although the higher poly breasts look better, the tatted dirty shirt from the retail game is more fitting. Has anyone ever managed to import the Beta body into the retail game? If its just a matter of importing the beta body into the level and making sure all physics objects have the same properties, it wont be too hard. Then i can make her top look dirty and have a refreshed model for the refreshed maps.

I have removed all the bounding boxes that stopped dinos from entering buildings. It causes the odd glitch here and there, but its allowed for some really amazing behavior. I moved the red raptor beside the chruch inside the church and when you get close to the entrance, it bursts through the doors and charges at you. The first coupe of times resulted in some falling over and glitching til i discover there was a gap in the bounding box for the church floor. The raptor's foot was going in the hole and it would tumble down the stairs. Works like a charm now and sometimes depending on you're approach the raptor will leap off the stairs at you and land behind you. It looks fantastic.

I'm not adding extra weapons because the town has more then enough ammo. I have moved them around a bit though and placed them in much more realistic locations. I've moved some into the cupboards in the houses and some of the rifles are now leaning up against walls realistically.

I added a few extra raptors in the version i lost and it worked really well. They were showing up in the right places at the right time and it really changed the gameplay. Trespasser's levels are so well known and played, it doesn't take much to freshen them up.

Moving out of the town and into the valley leading to the dam was less fun as its so sparse and open. I had it looking good with some oversize grass and a little bit of construction about halfway along. It was shortly after this that it crashed and i lost it all.

Back to it.. i'm addicted!
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Well i dont think its heat related. Right after i posted here TresEd froze and my machine had trouble booting.
I doubt its heat because its running so much cooler now.

I just installed the latest AMD OpenGL beta drivers, it might help with TresEd.

Will report back after some testing.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Okay, well the new drivers seem to be helping, hasn't crashed yet, but ill test some more.

I've ran into an issue thats really bugging me. Actually its pissing me off.

I got the beta going and extracted the .swp files for all the levels.
When i tried to open the beta town level with TresEd, it would instead load my editied verion of the retail level, but with horrible graphical issues.

For some unknown reason, TresEd will not load the beta map and is somehow loading the retail level, despite the fact i have archived all
traces of the retail files.

Is there a temp or backup location that TresEd refers to that it could be getting the file from?

Has anyone opened the beta maps with TresEd? If so, how did you do it.

Cheers.