Yet another halfassed project I'm working on

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Yet another halfassed project I'm working on

Post by glitchhunter09 »

That's right. Rather than continuing finishing up my playground level, I decided to try doing another map using the Contestlev as a base once again. The name of the level will be Giant Forest. Of course, I don't have the forest quite complete yet. However, I did port over the Mines/Tunnels/Caves from TC Isle and made the import scale 2 rather than 1 so that it would cover greater ground and allow dinosaurs to attack inside of it.

Here's a screenshot of one of the areas I've completed in the mines: Image

The entire mine is big enough to sustain several smaller carnivores. It's even big enough to hold a NanoTyrannus and quite possibly an Albertosaur (which I didn't import and can't anyway since I ran out of room for textures lol.)

The map is still too early to release and I'm not sure when I'll finish it. The main issue slowing me down atm is collision. (ugh, am I the only one who hates Trespasser's Separate collision blocks for objects?) After I get the caves finished, here's my plans:

- Make use of the JPDS Streams Utility Shed I ported over from JPDS and add collision
- Make a pit under manhole in the Utility Shed
- Add warp to pit.
-warp to Elevator shaft of the caves thingy shown above.
- add dinos to the plains, Trees, water, and Mountains.
-Possibly create some makeshift buildings using different supplies in the level
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Re: Yet another halfassed project I'm working on

Post by LtSten »

...just make sure you don't get so many projects on the go that half of them don't get finished... 5 projects 20% complete is a worse standing than one completed project. ;)

Hard to say, but it looks alright, but what you've got planned sounds good.
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well the Giganto level sort of got sucked into this so it's gonna be in here.

Also update Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Yep. I didn't see a lot of love for Machf's Diplodocus so I decided to use it in my mod. There's a group of three here though only two are in the screen. The other one is somewhere behind me.
Machf's JPOG Trike as well. Using the ActRam feature and just looking around in these pictures above.
Here's the Giganotosaurus based on the Dino Crisis 2 one. Hence why it's oversized since the one in Dino Crisis 2 was as well. It looks like the T-Rex is fighting back. However, it dies. Giganto here has 6000 HP since he's an easier dino for the Rex to kill because of his size. Also, I should note that the fight takes place on a really tall mountain that has no real significance as of yet to climb, but probably will in the future updates.
Not much here. Just a couple of raptors attacking and eating the two trikes shown earlier. Btw, I made the pallete for these blood splats.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Looking really good. Would be nice to have a level with dinosaurs in groups. Just remember that the limit is around 3-4 in active dinosaurs. And Anna and Draco discovered that having to many dinosaurs with different valutes can brake them so they don't do much.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Ah. Well apparently, there's a feature in the ATX patch's ini that allows you to select the number of Dinosaur AIs active at once. I've got it set to six though I haven't tested it in this level specifically and I'm not sure about the limits of the feature. And yeah, I'm aware of the broken Dinosaur issue. Mainly because it was a problem the Trespasser devs had during development that ultimately caused the emotions and certain other commands to be scrapped from the final version's dinosaurs' T-script. I'm being careful though. However, if I do have problems I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice Tatu. =)

It's also possible to have more than 3-4 dinosaurs active. It all depends upon your level's size and the amount of crap you have in it. Take a look at this video posted on Trescom's Youtube channel for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWmtgM6 ... re=related

I also think my Labyrinth level's large and open enough to support around 6-8 dinos active at once. That's what Draco said about two years ago in the thread. Though I think this level's going to be a little bit different due to the need for trees in it.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I can make a better skin for your giga if you want...that one looks very low quality. Let me know, I just did a carcha skin for a level I've been dabling with the other day
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well, I was going for the Dino Crisis 2 skin for the Giganto on purpose, though it probably would be nice to see an enhanced quality version of it. It's using a PS1 styled quality skin so that's probably why it's so low quality. The skin also came from some dude's JPOG mod as well. I want to credit him for it but I can't remember his name. The mod didn't come with a readme from what I can tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9I-X_5JtiY&lc
The resizing was on purpose as well as you'll see in this video SI.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

that's what I meant, a higher quality version of that...if you can get me some reference pics of the DC2 giga, I could take a stab at it
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Sure thing dude. =) Hold on a sec.

Well, unfortunately for me, there aren't very good quality photos of it in game. However, these are the best ones I could find: http://dinocrisis.wikia.com/wiki/Giganotosaurus

The official concept art and a few crummy quality screenshots of it fighting the T-Rex.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Ah. Well apparently, there's a feature in the ATX patch's ini that allows you to select the number of Dinosaur AIs active at once.
Yeah. I would suggest you are carefull with it though, since you don't know which dinosaurs get active, which can make some you encounter unactive, and you'll have to kill an active dinosaur before another one gets active. :)
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah. I think 6-8 dinosaur AI's are enough. Hell, 4's enough for most situations. Anyway, I'm not going over the limit of 4 for right now. Also, I have no idea how to fix music to have a block alignment for Trespasser. Hopefully Draco can do it or somebody with equal experience.

The tool for it is confusing and all I see are .h files for it. I'm not even sure what .h is. Anyway, the point is I'm probably gonna need help from somebody who's successfully ported music to Trespasser before. I really want to put Dino Crispo from Dino Crisis 2 in the TPA for the Gigantosaurus vs. T-rex fight but I don't know how to change block formats/alignments/whatever they are called.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I think the Diplodocus could use a new skin, too...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Can't argue with you there Machf. It looks kinda patched together. The Protoceratops is also planned for this level as well. However, I haven't decided where to put it yet.

I have some update screenshots btw:
Spoiler: show
A family of Torosaurus. They're all different sizes, though their physics aren't quite altered so keep that in mind while playing. also, they have a high love rating but for some odd reason feel compelled to ram the player. Guess they love the player so much they "Ram with affection" lol.
Because they were attacking me, I had to kill them. Though, I got a little carried away after I killed the baby, which was also attacking me.
Oh and btw, if anybody knows a trigger to piss off the parents if the baby is killed, please let me know. Thanks.
Why does this feel like a scene from the Walking with Dinosaurs Special, Allosaurus?
Why am I reminded of the Great Lakes level from Carnivores 1 by this photo? hmmmm.... =P
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

glitchhunter09 wrote: Oh and btw, if anybody knows a trigger to piss off the parents if the baby is killed, please let me know. Thanks.
You'll probably want something like the below; I can't fully remember the ActionType syntax, but I believe this should work.

Code: Select all

group <TrigName> = {
	string Class = "CCreatureTrigger"
	// see http://www.trescom.org/docs/tscript.html#CCreatureTrigger
	string A00 = "<DinoToDieName>"
	bool CreatureDie = true

group Action00 = {
		int ActionType = 9
		string Target = "<DinoToChangeValue>"
		float Fear/Love/Anger/etc = <value 0 thru 10>
		// see http://www.trescom.org/docs/tscript.html#CSetAIAction
	}

group Action01 = {
		int ActionType = 9
		string Target "<OtherDino>"
		float Fear = 0.2
	}
}
Can't remember if // comments work, either.. Probably not, but you get the idea...
You should be able to set more than one value for each dinosaur by just adding float <type> = <value> below the included ones per action.. I have no idea if you can set two targets in the same action (probably not?)

I'm not the best of scripters around here, I'm sure, so there may be other and/or better ways of doing this, in which case, take other's advice. :P
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

It's fine dude. I'm sure if it doesn't work somebody else will be able to help. =) Thank you though LtSten. I'll try this later.