Charcharodontosaurs JPOG model for Trespasser?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Charcharodontosaurs JPOG model for Trespasser?

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I'm curious, has anyone got around to creating a model for him? I've got a skin I found in a JPOG mod by somebody I want to use to make Gigantosaurus for Trespasser by reskinning and changing the scale some. (if possible.) If I can't get one, I'll try and use the Allosaurus machf made and reskin it from there. Better than nothing I guess... I just hope machf gets around to converting JPOG Charchar soon...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Charcharodontosaurs JPOG model for Trespasser?

Post by machf »

Hmmm... I did convert it, but it hasn't been released individually, it was included in a level (upon request). Unfortunately, right now I forget which level it was...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Don't know where I got this one from, but I have it among my files. Got both a Giganotosaurus and vocals for it.

http://www.trescom.org/files/dinosaurs/ ... saurus.rar
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Hey Thanks Tatu and thanks machf for confirming that you did convert it.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I think a Giganotosaurus was in Nem's Legacy level? At least it was planned to be at some point...
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well I've got a Dino Crisis 2 skin for the Giganto that was used in a Dino Crisis mod for JPOG that I'm gonna use.

Hey, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the skin to work ingame. I'm sure machf will be able to tell me what's wrong. Here's a link to the download: http://www.mediafire.com/?13o28loj0r828ac
It doesn't have any errors in Geomadd and it looks fine in TresEd so I'm not sure what's wrong. However, the bar gets almost full before the game crashes. I tried it in two different levels and both times it crashed at the same bar so it must be the Giga and not the level as it was known to load fine before I added it.

So, I figured I'd upload the skin with the model and the original skin plus the Dino Crisis 2 Giga JPOG skin as well just in case it has something to do with the actual skin. This is the first time I've attempted skinning and I'm not sure what I did wrong but if anyone can help that would be fine. I think Machf's ideal for this sort of thing due to his experience with JPOG models in Trespasser and such.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

...just a hunch, could be wrong, can't check the map itself right now, but it could be something to do with its vocals or a leftover StayNearTarget (or similar) in the script for it... But I'm sure others will have a much better knowledge. :P
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

It's not the map. It's the dinosaur. It has to be because the levels I imported it to worked fine until I imported it. Geez, some people don't know how to read my posts. Anyway, it's not a level I uploaded, it's the dinosaur and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it T-script wise. There weren't any errors in TresEd or Geomadd.

It's got to be the new skin I made.... I need somebody to figure out what I did wrong with the new skin. (the dark brown one is the one I did.) I'm not sure what I did. It looks fine in TresEd. Can't see any issues with the mesh in terms of broken patches.... Probably some stupid noobish mistake I made as skinning Trespasser dinos is a pain in the ass due to the tools required for such. I had to rely on copying and pasting from Gimp and resizing the pieces manually..

I wish there was a tool for converting existing TPMs to Gmax files to edit the meshes as well.. I'm tired of this other crap we do. It's too difficult to create dinosaurs for this reason. The community needs a much more user friendly model maker made specifically for Tpms... The only trouble is that all the people capable of such coding feats are gone. Possibly for good. TPDC has a very misleading name which is why it's kind of a lame tool. I really have no purpose for it as long as I'm unable to make dinosaurs in Gmax. Making one from scratch would be a disaster because chances are it would either look deformed terribly, be rushed looking, or simply have too many polygons. Nobody wants a T-Rex with a leg longer than the other and what not.

Also, I apologize if I'm ranting. I'm just so frustrated that important helpful people in this community have been lacking in recent months. It's to the point where I'm starting to think Trescom's pretty much shutdown and dead as far as the forums go. It's like all the important people other than Tatu, machf, Hilwo, and a few others have lost interest in Trespasser and pretty much forgot about it. That leave the rest of us, particular mediocre modders (like me.) in a sticky situation with slow progress due to the problems.

I understand this is a small community, but it feels like it's gotten even smaller over the years in terms of the number of active forum members here on a regular basis. I wish there was some way to boost activity, but I don't think there is. Anyway, sorry if this is going off subject, I just feel like I'm not going to learn anything of value about modding Trespasser at this rate. The FAQs work great for most situations, but not everything. There's still a lot of FAQs that need to be written about various Trespasser related problems, tool usage, and just other things in general.

I wish Andres would come back. TresEd needs to be severely updated it's just over 8 years old now. Geomadd is about the same age. It's a shame in a way. Geomadd wasn't even finished iirc.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Well you haven't stated that the reskinned version doesn't work whereas the unedited version doesn't... And if you haven't already tested that, you probably should. At least, if you did before this post then I must be particularly blind...

Would be a bit more welcoming and nice if you didn't disregard people much like yourself who try to help and yet aren't "important people", which is always nice to be categorised into...
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
tatu

Post by tatu »

Take it easy glitch. He only said what it could be.

I took a look and I believe you haven't made the textures 8-bit, that's why it crash. This one should work however:
Giganotosaurus_DC2_fixed.rar
Works for me in-game. Remember to save the level with "Generate SCN Partitions" checked to avoid a lot of crashes.

On the other hand. The forum are active from time to time. There was some activity during the summer, and early this year. It's always like this. A lot of us have school or work which takes a lot of our time. There is a TPM script for Gmax in the download section.
And I would like you to NOT complain about the tools and other stuff we have. We are a small community, and a few people can program. As I said, most are to busy for it, and it's not a priority. And since not many can make models, it doesn't make it a priority. The tools were made by great people, and because it doesn't do what you want them to, don't complain about it. Trespasser is quite difficult to make tools for, since you have to work with more than one file format at once. Stop complain if you can't create a better one yourself.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

We'll be back. We always have. Also, if you would like help from a specific member, you could always
try to send him a personal message or e-mail. I'm sure all members who are currently active are doing
all they can to help you.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

As they already told you, there are TPM import and export scripts for Gmax, so there is really no excuse. Look for them in the downlods section.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah, I know. I was just frustrated. Sorry everyone and thanks for fixing it Tatu. I apprecieate it. It wasn't that I dislike help from some people, it's just that I needed to know specifically what was happening here. I figured one of the more experienced modders like Tatu and Machf would know what was wrong. In the future though, I'll be sure to try that. Thanks. =) any recommended programs for skinning? I have Wally btw. Is that good or should I get another as well?

Also, anybody got a link to the TPM Gmax scripts?
In addition to the above, I apologize to Ltsten and anybody else I may have offended. I hope you'll forgive me for being so irrational.
Edit: Nevermind. Tatu said they're on the site. So I'll look there first. I'll come back if I have any trouble setting the scripts up. Thanks anyway guys.

Edit 2: Nevermind figured out the crashing issue. I had the max recommended Tex dem set over 100! I had it on 256 which resulted in crashing issues. I misread what JPDS said.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Edit 2: Nevermind figured out the crashing issue. I had the max recommended Tex dem set over 100! I had it on 256 which resulted in crashing issues. I misread what JPDS said.

That's wierd. 256 is normal, and shouldn't make it crash. In hardware mode, everything looks better with 256!

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

No, I meant I had the value set too high. 100 creates double the textures which = 256 I looked at it in Regedit today and saw the result. Also how it's written on the site. The 100 value ends up equaling out to 256. If you set the actual value to 256 then it goes crazy in game and can become unstable and crash during level loading.

Also, not related but for those of you looking for faster performance of the ATX Executable who are having trouble, minimize Trespasser, Open up task manager and change the ATX EXE's Priority to high. This will reduce choppiness on some laptops that have issues with this sort of thing and weaker computers that would be weaker for whatever the reason.

After this, change the resolution otherwise the game will look weird when you load a level.

I'll probably make a topic for the performance thing somewhere eventually. Retail and beta EXE have some kind of security fail safes that prevent you from changing priority as well, so this only works with ATX. Keep that in mind. ;)

Edit: I'm having issues with the Gmax scripts. I did what the site said and Gmax does not even recognize them. Even have the scripts in the startup folder. What isn't it working? =( what am I missing?
Last edited by glitchhunter09 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.