Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Things to put in TresEd :)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Placing objects in TresEd around high-detail terrain gets complicated, the only fix being to go into Terrain Edit Mode while moving the instance. This means having to go in and out when fixing multiple objects, or dozens...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Placing objects in TresEd around high-detail terrain gets complicated, the only fix being to go into Terrain Edit Mode while moving the instance. This means having to go in and out when fixing multiple objects, or dozens...
And then you also run the risk of misclicking and damaging your terrain as well in the process.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

machf wrote:
tatu wrote:I have a question. As I know Trespasser was reverse-engineered for ATX, would this be possible for TresEd too?
Is there any way to hack in a way for the TresEd to view the terrain by default in Terrain edit mode but without the possibility to edit it? And be able to select objects while in it? It would help a lot as the terrain don't show properly in normal view, specially not big ones, while it does in Terrain edit mode. Like locking TresEd in Terrain Edit mode but with the possibility to select and move objects?
Would this be possible? Like making a special exe only for this?
Anything is possible, but you need to find someone willing to do it...

Oh, and in Terrain Edit mode, the terrain isn't "smoothed out" while rendered, that's it, I'd say...
Could you take a look?

Probably. I guess Andres never got around to fix all the issues with that.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

Tips for modders: TresEd allows you to save objects in groups so you can later select that group if you want, which mean you can "organize" a level and it is quite helpful if you don't wanna reselect for example a whole building mesh by mesh if you wanna move it later and have the risk of missing something. This function can be found at "View->Show Named Selection..." and is really helpful. The groups you make are stored in a ".tresed" in the same folder as the level and uses the level name. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

..For example, if you import a building and want to be able to select just-the-building later, a named selection can let you do that without lots of selection hassal.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Future (probably never-will-happen) request: Look for the TPA files inside the TresEd folder instead of where the game is installed.

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

tatu wrote:Future (probably never-will-happen) request: Look for the TPA files inside the TresEd folder instead of where the game is installed.
In the zip below, tatu. Make certain that the folder containing TresEd is labeled 'Tres_Ed'. I tried it on my desktop and C:\Tres_Ed and it worked fine. Just toss your tpas inside the editor's folder. The only catch is, is that if you're loading up a retail level, you have to select the grf and pid file after you select the swp. For stand_alone levels, that isn't necessary (you'd just select the swap file as normal) since all level files are in the same location -
Attachments
TresEd_tatu.zip
TresEd_tatu
(300.28 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

What's this? You hacked TresEd, or had Andres at some time made a custom version on request?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm guessing he did some sort of hex-edit to redirect the folders. Or he rebuilt TresEd from scratch with the intention to add a bunch of new features? :P
tatu

Post by tatu »

Rebel wrote:
tatu wrote:Future (probably never-will-happen) request: Look for the TPA files inside the TresEd folder instead of where the game is installed.
In the zip below, tatu. Make certain that the folder containing TresEd is labeled 'Tres_Ed'. I tried it on my desktop and C:\Tres_Ed and it worked fine. Just toss your tpas inside the editor's folder. The only catch is, is that if you're loading up a retail level, you have to select the grf and pid file after you select the swp. For stand_alone levels, that isn't necessary (you'd just select the swap file as normal) since all level files are in the same location -
Oh thank you very much!

I ignore your instruction and put it in my "Level Editing" folder at "D:\Trespasser\Modding Suite\Level Editing". Put the TPAs there and it worked fine as well. I also didn't have to select the grf or pid. It work just like the "normal" TresEd. :D

THANK YOU!

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

tatu wrote:I ignore your instruction . . . .
My ex-wife used to do the same thing (note the ex). :lol: Anyways, it's like T.I. surmized, it was nothing more than a little hex editing job. Unfortunately, without the actual code you really can't change TresEd in any substantial way. Glad it worked for you though, tatu, and you're welcome. ;)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:O What, is it secretly TresEd's anniversary and there's a new editing... :|
tatu

Re:

Post by tatu »

Andres wrote:About grouping. While TresEd doesn't do 'grouping' as such, it can do something very similar, which allows a number of objects to be moved as a group after selecting only one. This is done by using the ext_Model00 value, which behaves just like Model00, except that only TresEd uses it, and Trespasser will ignore it.

First you need to choose a model to be the 'master', this is the one that you will select in order to move the whole group. This can either be a normal object, or you could insert a new mesh using the Hacking menu and then change its TScript to some kind of object that does not show up in the game. Then list the members of the group as ext_Model00 objects. Here's an example TScript for the master object:

group MyNewObject = {
bool Visible = false
string ext_Model00 = "SomeModel"
string ext_Model01 = "SomeOtherModel"
}
I am gonna bump this as I never knew about this. This is super helpful. This can be added to something like a building to attach all physics and objects to it. It will be a bit of work but it can be super helpful to avoid messing up and missing something when moving it. It basically act like how $ objects does or magnets that are attached to an object!