If I would be interested in level design, where to start?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

If I would be interested in level design, where to start?

Post by Hilwo »

If I would be interested in level design, where would I start?
Not sure if I'd have the patience for it but is there a tutorial for beginners out there?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: If I would be interested in level design, where to start?

Post by Rebel »

With an idea. :) Visualize what you'd like your environment to look like and perhaps tackle the terrain layout and then landscaping thereafter (trees, rocks, et cetera). As far as what level template to begin with, I imagine for a rookie level builder I'd suggest Drac's startlev. For pros, I recommend my shell generator (check sig if so bold).

As far as tuts, don't really think there's anything specific here Hilwo, just hundreds of help me, my level's screwed up! threads with generally useful responses.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Hey Rebel,

Well, ideas haven't really been a problem, they've always been around :)
It's my patience that has been and might still pose a problem. Just treat
me as if I don't know the first thing about level-editing, because that's
the truth :p Sure I toyed a bit with TresEd every now and then, but that's
about it... What apps do I need? Because I really have no idea what to do first...

Thanks!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, I'd suggest downloading the StartLev 1st.

Need GeomAdd for model import, mostly. A decent understanding of how triggers work is best served by looking at functional levels. As far as importing models go, that's the most tricky since textures are important; need to be 8bit, powers ^2 (ie, 128 x 128, 256 x 256(max)) and if you're dealing with animations in particular, you should always select the GeomAdd option, 'change texture names to form' before beginning the import process. This ensures internal mapping is correct (ie. mylevel\myimage.bmp). Cloning objects is easy enough, though I don't you should tackle any dinosaurs or difficult scripting areas of your project until your landscaping assets are mostly in place. (btw, most master models (-00) should end with [-00] and they are generally placed OTP in the basement area. Another point, create backups!

If there's anything specific Hilwo, just ask. I'm certain plenty would be willing to answer. ;)
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Thank you Rebel ;) I'll start playing around with the advice you gave me!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

No prob. I should have mentioned as well that type1_geometry types need to be invisible (objects that make up walls, buildiing etc). By default, GeomAdd imports as type2, so if you need type1 that's required to be entered into the tscript before import (see fan based level objects for examples as retail levels don't require this entry). Dinosaurs are also type1, though obviously they don't use the invisibility flag.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Lol you might as well be talking Japanese, I don't understand a thing you just said ;)
But I'll see if I can figure it out, I'll have some time to try some stuff this weekend.
Thanks ;)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oye, this is something I'm hoping to address in a few months. I won't be modding much anymore but I intend that others should still be able to. I'm going to do some video tutorials that hopefully cover all the preliminary stages of using the utilities to work with Trespasser. I'm doubting we'll see a version of Rex's app comparable to TresEd for at least another year, unless Andres gets kindly with his source..

The startlev here at TC is okay but I would actually recommend the one found in Tres CE instead. The one here at TC has a broken health meter among other needed fixings. When I finally get around to re-releasing TCE, I'm going to include startlev as a base-import folder rather than a level, with even further fixes and optional customizations.

Anyway, I have a few threads in the FAQ section that are worth reading if you want to be about the business of importing and exporting. However, it is always my suggestion for beginners to modding to NOT start with their own project, but to begin by modifying and playing around with the Demo level. It's small, controlled, and got a lot of different things to play around with. After you're comfortable with that, maybe even making some new simple scripted events, try importing a few models and figure out what's needed for that to work right. Try some texture replacements, too. Eventually I even suggest making a releasable level out of it, if you can, and then moving on to a level from scratch - which again, should be limited to a small project, while you are still learning the ropes. After you've completed and released a small from-scratch level, you should be ready to start any ideas you have for bigger projects. :thief:
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Great, looking forward to your video tutorials :) I don't have the custom edition of Trespasser anymore,
so I guess I'll just play around with the startlev and demo first. I'll look into the FAQ section on
importing and exporting. I did play around with triggers and replacing textures but that's quite a while
back. So I'll get back into that and try making some scripted events and importing some models.
Thanks for the info!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:However, it is always my suggestion for beginners to modding to NOT start with their own project, but to begin by modifying and playing around with the Demo level. It's small, controlled, and got a lot of different things to play around with.
What about the TestScene? Make a copy as TestLevel with GeomAdd and play with it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Btw, congrats on post 1111 ;)
machf wrote:What about the TestScene? Make a copy as TestLevel with GeomAdd and play with it...
Well, IMO, there is not as much to work with there except in trying many different random things, as Test suggests. I recommend Demo because it has a complete environmental set, trees terrainobjects and the like, with just a few dinos guns and other objects. TestScene will certainly be fun but it might overwhelm a beginning modder. Of course, go ahead and do that too if you like.