TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:59 pm 
Offline
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 277
Location: Alaska, starting to get cold!
You are dropped into a labryth of dinosaurs by an insane evil mad man of supreme goryness and hell bound fury.


Basically some bitch put you in this thing and you have to escape the dinosaurs, its like SAW 9

_________________
http://annscostaricancookbook.weebly.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:07 am 
Offline
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm
Posts: 439
Location: facepunch mostly
I like it...however, it crashed fairly quickly...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 am 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
Where did it crash at? If it was when you fell into the pit of death I know about it. If it is in antoher part of the level please do tell me so I can see about fixing it.

Update: Well I've literally gone two steps forward and five steps back. You see, Something went terribly wrong and I don't know what. I think it might have been the three Deinocheirus I accidentally sent way out of bounds while trying to edit the map and forgetting to select them. It might also have had something to do with the other pits of death (they weren't as deep this time though.) I managed to save my map with the back up copies. I've finally got the hang of T-Script commands too. I made the two Triceratops in the maze use the act pursue command and made their anger maxed out so the smallest thing makes them volatile. (Can you say PMS Triceratops anyone? XD) They are easy to get away from as they seem to keep wanting to go forward if you step off to the side until they notice you moved.

There is now a Raptor that ambushes you at the beginning of the level if you decide to run inside the doorway now. This was unintentional, and it pretty much seems like rape to me but at the same time the last time I played though it hid from me before I could shoot it. Then a few minutes later pounced on me from behind after I finished killing the Rex and Deinocheirus. Even though the touch of the Toxic Rifle instantly killed it. Now I'm not at all sure if I want to keep it or not. I also got surpirsed by the two Raptors in the corridor next to the final T-Rex. I was fighting the T-Rex to make matters worse. Luckily I had invul on for the purpose of testing the dinosaur AI and Physics of the level at that time.

This level will make you jump if you aren't careful. Dinosaurs can pretty much act unpredictable, especially the raptors since you have no way of knowing if there will be a raptor approaching from around the corner.

As for some of the other new technical work, the following dinosaurs have been removed:
All the TC Dilos as they didn't work right to begin with.
One of the green T-rexes because it was redundant to have it in a spot that was so enclosed.
the Stegosaurus is no longer within the maze either. I would like to say though that the removed dinos are still in the stage but they are now in the level's basement far enough away that they won't activate.

The bug with the walls hasn't been fixed but I'm still working on it. I thought about simply putting a copy of the same wall piece and reversing its angle and stuffing it inside the wall. It might work but it will slow down the game as more polygons are now inside the walls due to them being stacked on one another. however, if someone would like to edit that those specific walls so that they look correct then be my guest.

Most of the dinosaurs are now spread out far enough that they will not interfere with each other's wake ups. there are still more than 6-8 dinos but the AI seems to be holding out pretty good. this is because many of the dinosaurs' wake up distances are at default proportions. Most of the dinosaurs have been moved around.

The JP1 Tyrannosaurs can now ActPursue and it also had the stay near function as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:45 am 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm
Posts: 10950
Location: Lima, Peru
dartheric wrote:
You are dropped into a labryth of dinosaurs by an insane evil mad man of supreme goryness and hell bound fury.

Hey, don't look at me!

_________________
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 am 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
machf wrote:
dartheric wrote:
You are dropped into a labryth of dinosaurs by an insane evil mad man of supreme goryness and hell bound fury.

Hey, don't look at me!


That would be me actually.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm 
Offline
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm
Posts: 439
Location: facepunch mostly
glitchhunter09 wrote:
Where did it crash at? If it was when you fell into the pit of death I know about it. If it is in antoher part of the level please do tell me so I can see about fixing it.

Update: Well I've literally gone two steps forward and five steps back. You see, Something went terribly wrong and I don't know what. I think it might have been the three Deinocheirus I accidentally sent way out of bounds while trying to edit the map and forgetting to select them. It might also have had something to do with the other pits of death (they weren't as deep this time though.) I managed to save my map with the back up copies. I've finally got the hang of T-Script commands too. I made the two Triceratops in the maze use the act pursue command and made their anger maxed out so the smallest thing makes them volatile. (Can you say PMS Triceratops anyone? XD) They are easy to get away from as they seem to keep wanting to go forward if you step off to the side until they notice you moved.

There is now a Raptor that ambushes you at the beginning of the level if you decide to run inside the doorway now. This was unintentional, and it pretty much seems like rape to me but at the same time the last time I played though it hid from me before I could shoot it. Then a few minutes later pounced on me from behind after I finished killing the Rex and Deinocheirus. Even though the touch of the Toxic Rifle instantly killed it. Now I'm not at all sure if I want to keep it or not. I also got surpirsed by the two Raptors in the corridor next to the final T-Rex. I was fighting the T-Rex to make matters worse. Luckily I had invul on for the purpose of testing the dinosaur AI and Physics of the level at that time.

This level will make you jump if you aren't careful. Dinosaurs can pretty much act unpredictable, especially the raptors since you have no way of knowing if there will be a raptor approaching from around the corner.

As for some of the other new technical work, the following dinosaurs have been removed:
All the TC Dilos as they didn't work right to begin with.
One of the green T-rexes because it was redundant to have it in a spot that was so enclosed.
the Stegosaurus is no longer within the maze either. I would like to say though that the removed dinos are still in the stage but they are now in the level's basement far enough away that they won't activate.

The bug with the walls hasn't been fixed but I'm still working on it. I thought about simply putting a copy of the same wall piece and reversing its angle and stuffing it inside the wall. It might work but it will slow down the game as more polygons are now inside the walls due to them being stacked on one another. however, if someone would like to edit that those specific walls so that they look correct then be my guest.

Most of the dinosaurs are now spread out far enough that they will not interfere with each other's wake ups. there are still more than 6-8 dinos but the AI seems to be holding out pretty good. this is because many of the dinosaurs' wake up distances are at default proportions. Most of the dinosaurs have been moved around.

The JP1 Tyrannosaurs can now ActPursue and it also had the stay near function as well.
It was about five feet inside the starting gate...Sorry, dude.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
jetblack wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:
Where did it crash at? If it was when you fell into the pit of death I know about it. If it is in antoher part of the level please do tell me so I can see about fixing it.

Update: Well I've literally gone two steps forward and five steps back. You see, Something went terribly wrong and I don't know what. I think it might have been the three Deinocheirus I accidentally sent way out of bounds while trying to edit the map and forgetting to select them. It might also have had something to do with the other pits of death (they weren't as deep this time though.) I managed to save my map with the back up copies. I've finally got the hang of T-Script commands too. I made the two Triceratops in the maze use the act pursue command and made their anger maxed out so the smallest thing makes them volatile. (Can you say PMS Triceratops anyone? XD) They are easy to get away from as they seem to keep wanting to go forward if you step off to the side until they notice you moved.

There is now a Raptor that ambushes you at the beginning of the level if you decide to run inside the doorway now. This was unintentional, and it pretty much seems like rape to me but at the same time the last time I played though it hid from me before I could shoot it. Then a few minutes later pounced on me from behind after I finished killing the Rex and Deinocheirus. Even though the touch of the Toxic Rifle instantly killed it. Now I'm not at all sure if I want to keep it or not. I also got surpirsed by the two Raptors in the corridor next to the final T-Rex. I was fighting the T-Rex to make matters worse. Luckily I had invul on for the purpose of testing the dinosaur AI and Physics of the level at that time.

This level will make you jump if you aren't careful. Dinosaurs can pretty much act unpredictable, especially the raptors since you have no way of knowing if there will be a raptor approaching from around the corner.

As for some of the other new technical work, the following dinosaurs have been removed:
All the TC Dilos as they didn't work right to begin with.
One of the green T-rexes because it was redundant to have it in a spot that was so enclosed.
the Stegosaurus is no longer within the maze either. I would like to say though that the removed dinos are still in the stage but they are now in the level's basement far enough away that they won't activate.

The bug with the walls hasn't been fixed but I'm still working on it. I thought about simply putting a copy of the same wall piece and reversing its angle and stuffing it inside the wall. It might work but it will slow down the game as more polygons are now inside the walls due to them being stacked on one another. however, if someone would like to edit that those specific walls so that they look correct then be my guest.

Most of the dinosaurs are now spread out far enough that they will not interfere with each other's wake ups. there are still more than 6-8 dinos but the AI seems to be holding out pretty good. this is because many of the dinosaurs' wake up distances are at default proportions. Most of the dinosaurs have been moved around.

The JP1 Tyrannosaurs can now ActPursue and it also had the stay near function as well.
It was about five feet inside the starting gate...Sorry, dude.


That's odd. It runs fine on mine and everyone else's games...Have you tried the level more than once?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:06 pm 
Offline
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm
Posts: 439
Location: facepunch mostly
glitchhunter09 wrote:
jetblack wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:
Where did it crash at? If it was when you fell into the pit of death I know about it. If it is in antoher part of the level please do tell me so I can see about fixing it.

Update: Well I've literally gone two steps forward and five steps back. You see, Something went terribly wrong and I don't know what. I think it might have been the three Deinocheirus I accidentally sent way out of bounds while trying to edit the map and forgetting to select them. It might also have had something to do with the other pits of death (they weren't as deep this time though.) I managed to save my map with the back up copies. I've finally got the hang of T-Script commands too. I made the two Triceratops in the maze use the act pursue command and made their anger maxed out so the smallest thing makes them volatile. (Can you say PMS Triceratops anyone? XD) They are easy to get away from as they seem to keep wanting to go forward if you step off to the side until they notice you moved.

There is now a Raptor that ambushes you at the beginning of the level if you decide to run inside the doorway now. This was unintentional, and it pretty much seems like rape to me but at the same time the last time I played though it hid from me before I could shoot it. Then a few minutes later pounced on me from behind after I finished killing the Rex and Deinocheirus. Even though the touch of the Toxic Rifle instantly killed it. Now I'm not at all sure if I want to keep it or not. I also got surpirsed by the two Raptors in the corridor next to the final T-Rex. I was fighting the T-Rex to make matters worse. Luckily I had invul on for the purpose of testing the dinosaur AI and Physics of the level at that time.

This level will make you jump if you aren't careful. Dinosaurs can pretty much act unpredictable, especially the raptors since you have no way of knowing if there will be a raptor approaching from around the corner.

As for some of the other new technical work, the following dinosaurs have been removed:
All the TC Dilos as they didn't work right to begin with.
One of the green T-rexes because it was redundant to have it in a spot that was so enclosed.
the Stegosaurus is no longer within the maze either. I would like to say though that the removed dinos are still in the stage but they are now in the level's basement far enough away that they won't activate.

The bug with the walls hasn't been fixed but I'm still working on it. I thought about simply putting a copy of the same wall piece and reversing its angle and stuffing it inside the wall. It might work but it will slow down the game as more polygons are now inside the walls due to them being stacked on one another. however, if someone would like to edit that those specific walls so that they look correct then be my guest.

Most of the dinosaurs are now spread out far enough that they will not interfere with each other's wake ups. there are still more than 6-8 dinos but the AI seems to be holding out pretty good. this is because many of the dinosaurs' wake up distances are at default proportions. Most of the dinosaurs have been moved around.

The JP1 Tyrannosaurs can now ActPursue and it also had the stay near function as well.
It was about five feet inside the starting gate...Sorry, dude.


That's odd. It runs fine on mine and everyone else's games...Have you tried the level more than once?
No. I'll do that now, as a matter of fact...
UPDATE: It did it again...I was really hoping it would run well...I mean, that's a dang sweet level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
That's odd. It runs fine on mine and everyone else's games...Have you tried the level more than once?

Quote:
No. I'll do that now, as a matter of fact...
UPDATE: It did it again...I was really hoping it would run well...I mean, that's a dang sweet level.


I don't know what to tell you then. I wish I had the answer. Perhaps some file got damaged or corrupted while downloading. Download it again and tell me if it crashes. If that doesn't work then chances are that it might have something to do with your computer or the in game display settings. I'm going to check resolutions higher than 600 X 800 and see if it crashes. I'm also going to check the level in Software mode as well. Before I do I need to know your current in-game display settings so I can see if that is the problem or not.
There are actually reasons why it may not be the best Idea to buff up the screen resolution to its maximum.

UPDATE: There isn't really a whole lot changed since last update. I have added to few extra walls to the maze that will not alter the path very much and are primarily there to cover up the see through parts of the wall. I'm also working on making the Dinosaur wake ups happen less frequently at once. hopefully by removing some of the Dinosaurs in unnecessary spots I can get the dinosaurs to function better.


Last edited by hppav on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fix quote tags


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 pm 
Offline
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:04 pm
Posts: 582
Location: Denmark
I downloaded the level and played it. I must say, I really miss having some trees etc. in the environtment. And the toxic gun .. you just need to touch a dinosaur with the front of the rifle, then the dinosaur dies. If I continued playing the level like that, it would be too boring, so I dropped it :P. The level is bigger than I first thought and better, than I thought, since I had expected many crashes due to the many dinosaurs.
Anyways it's a fun level, but in the end can it be a bit boring. That's what I think. ;)

_________________
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 11272
Location: Portland, OR
Turn draw distance down.. If that still fails you, turn quality down. And, don't run at insane resolutions - Tres works best in 640x480 or 800x600, if stability is an issue.

_________________
Image
Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Millennium / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
Anna wrote:
I downloaded the level and played it. I must say, I really miss having some trees etc. in the environtment. And the toxic gun .. you just need to touch a dinosaur with the front of the rifle, then the dinosaur dies. If I continued playing the level like that, it would be too boring, so I dropped it :P. The level is bigger than I first thought and better, than I thought, since I had expected many crashes due to the many dinosaurs.
Anyways it's a fun level, but in the end can it be a bit boring. That's what I think. ;)


Yes, the level is very unbalanced. Balancing the weapons of the level is on my to do list. The Toxic Rifle was placed at the beginning for testing purposes. Maybe I should just remove all of the weapons from the stage and make it a survival level where you have to avoid getting killed by dinosaurs long enough to find the exit.

I've always been worried about crashes due to the dinosaurs but I suppose they are so spread out that the level can handle their large number. I have lowered the number of dinosaurs since the previous build as said in previous posts. Adding plants is on my to do list as well but I don't see any real reason since it is a maze but I guess I should add a few plants to spice things up. I just don't want to over do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:21 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 11272
Location: Portland, OR
Well I have played the level now. No crashes.. The dinosaurs being frozen was the biggest issue. I'd often go into a new area with 4 raptors, and they'd all be frozen until I walked past them, because of other dinos that were still active. I personally think the level can be a bit exciting but is visually very boring - the best thing to add would be TALL foliage, like palms and whatnot. Adding underbrush would be moreover a waste, I think, with all those walls, and will only decrease the AI capacity of the level. For guns - make them rare and low on ammo (with big damage, not necessarily toxin), but not gone altogether. Another way to improve the visual aspect of the level would be to get yourself a new sky - maybe even try making a new one, since palettes are obviously not going to be a problem here. Also, be sure to make a more clear end to the level, or it becomes very tiresome, running around going nowhere.. Maybe even make it a big GATE, like the PV one, or something else, that can be seen from a distance without revealing the route needed to approach it.

_________________
Image
Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Millennium / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:15 pm 
Offline
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:04 pm
Posts: 582
Location: Denmark
glitchhunter09 wrote:
Yes, the level is very unbalanced. Balancing the weapons of the level is on my to do list. The Toxic Rifle was placed at the beginning for testing purposes. Maybe I should just remove all of the weapons from the stage and make it a survival level where you have to avoid getting killed by dinosaurs long enough to find the exit.

I've always been worried about crashes due to the dinosaurs but I suppose they are so spread out that the level can handle their large number. I have lowered the number of dinosaurs since the previous build as said in previous posts. Adding plants is on my to do list as well but I don't see any real reason since it is a maze but I guess I should add a few plants to spice things up. I just don't want to over do it.

Draconisaurus wrote:
Well I have played the level now. No crashes.. The dinosaurs being frozen was the biggest issue. I'd often go into a new area with 4 raptors, and they'd all be frozen until I walked past them, because of other dinos that were still active. I personally think the level can be a bit exciting but is visually very boring - the best thing to add would be TALL foliage, like palms and whatnot. Adding underbrush would be moreover a waste, I think, with all those walls, and will only decrease the AI capacity of the level. For guns - make them rare and low on ammo (with big damage, not necessarily toxin), but not gone altogether. Another way to improve the visual aspect of the level would be to get yourself a new sky - maybe even try making a new one, since palettes are obviously not going to be a problem here. Also, be sure to make a more clear end to the level, or it becomes very tiresome, running around going nowhere.. Maybe even make it a big GATE, like the PV one, or something else, that can be seen from a distance without revealing the route needed to approach it.

IIIII.. Agree with Draco :)

_________________
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:22 am 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
Well, I'm having some issues. Currently, I've been attempting to make a darker sky for my level but unfortunately I don't know how to replace textures. I was told once but the way the person said it didn't work or didn't make any sense to me.

How do I change the sky?

As for other things, I've successfully removed an area with four raptors because it wasn't really that special of an area that's worth watching four raptors of four different tribes fight each other. Sure it would be cool and all but the amount of strain it put on the AI was to big so sadly this particualar group of raptors had to go. I didn't want to do it but I had to.

Also, I'd really appreciate it if someone made a special model of the wall so I wouldn't have to use vegetation to cover up the holes.
I just want the missing piece, not a whole new wall.

You don't see me creating models because I most likely will make things that aren't actually dinosaurs let alone anything else. It would just be a weird blob with vertices. Also, downloading the compatible programs is annoying for me at this point in time due the shittiness of my internet connection.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v006aEsBUlQ

Its a video of the map. Its only been slightly updated since then.

Oh some of you haven't noticed this yet but I left my signature on the map somewhere. It can only be seen from a sky view though. Its my username's intitials and the 09.(both of which are in separate spots.) It was an attempt to leave my mark on the level.

Perhaps I should make a customizable level of this map without dinosaurs anywhere. That way you guys can have fun placing objects, dinosaurs, etc. Its got a wide variety of dinosaurs available in the basement to choose from. So customizing the Labyrinth's dinosaurs to fit your needs would be perfect.

There is also a Labyrinth 2 planned. Labyrinth 2 will be done differently the original Labyrinth and will avoid the flaws and problems that plagued the first Labyrinth. Plus, this map will use zero collision blocks because it will be using objects that have them embeded in their mesh already. I've currently got the exit and outer perimeters finished and have added one dinosaur.

There just might be a whole series of Labyrinth based levels if I can ever perfect Labyrinth 1.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group