Just a little project I'm working on. Do you like it?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Just a little project I'm working on. Do you like it?

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I finally made my first map and it works perfectly. I'm not quite finished with it yet as I need to add more weapons. (Although you could probably kill anything without ammunition because the only type of weapon that is in there is the night test level Toxic Rifle Variant which as we all know, can kill most things with even the lightest touch. )

Now,I present....... *Insert drumroll*

The Labyrinth!

I used startlev as the base because it was probably the most helpful stater map I've used thus far. I flattened almost all of the terrain and put walls around the essential objects ( Blood spatters, sky texture, and that odd spherical thing. As for the vocal boxes I just left them where they were as they are invisible. I added one voice and a music track which I used for the four T-rexes Roaming the Labyrinth.)
The Dinosaurs Currently available in the Labyrinth are:
JP3 Velociraptor
Tribe B Velociraptor
Deinocheirus
TC Dilophosaurus (Doesn't really seem to want to attack. Must be something to do with the AI string or something. Oh well, its still an interesting addition I think.)
JP1 T-Rex
Asjad's Green T-Rex

I might consider adding more. (Such as a Triceratops or another type of Raptor.)
This actually isn't bad for my first map. Before you say anything, yes I got the collision for the walls of the Labyrinth put in. I stole them from the Ingen Town. =P

I think I'm getting the hang of the map making as well of how game works internally.

I'm not going to actually release it just yet as I'm still tweaking it. I don't know why but I had the urge to put bakers around my whole map's outskirts. The level runs smoothly for the most part. I don't actually have any real problems.

I really wanted to add Spinosaurus to the level but unfortunately, the download on the site is missing his values.txt file for some reason.... :(
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Just a little project I'm working on. Do you like it?

Post by RexHunter99 »

Wow glitch, you've surprised me with the skills you've just shown in that image ;) it's looking good (needs some variation... perhaps put some plants in the area a bit to mix it up... some rocks... maybe a ditch or two with fallen trees/logs)

I just finished up at The Carnivores Saga and come over to see this :D great job.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

RexHunter99 wrote:Wow glitch, you've surprised me with the skills you've just shown in that image ;) it's looking good (needs some variation... perhaps put some plants in the area a bit to mix it up... some rocks... maybe a ditch or two with fallen trees/logs)

I just finished up at The Carnivores Saga and come over to see this :D great job.

Yeah, it does look a bit barren. It has no ending as of yet.

At the start of the level you get attacked by a T-Rex and Deinocheirus simultaneously. Luckily you have two options: 1) You can go after the Toxic Rifle on the ground next to you. or 2) you can dart into the entrance in front of you. There is a Deinocheirus as you walk into the doorway but he's currently too far away to be activated. I also made a series of dead ends. I plan on adding traps to the level as well. Like a very deep pit somewhere that kills instantly if you fall in it (Or I have Raptors in the pit waiting for you to fall in. Haven't really decided. I guess a few plants wouldn't hurt either. I mean, it is a maze but its outdoors so plants would be growing.

You can annoy predators from the other side of the wall its really funny. This one time a Raptor attempted to jump the wall to get me and it was knocked backwards by the wall. I currently have several false doorways. These False doorways have a piece of old metal fence blocking the exit. However I did store a Toxic Rifle in one of these buildings though.

Its probably one of my over all best works out of any of the PC game modding I've done. *Sheds a tear of joy an wipes it off of his face*

I think I'm done for now though because my arms and fingers ache from the non-stop work I did. Ugh.... Its 1:26 AM where I'm at so I should go to bed.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Nice! :yes:
Very creative to use the town walls like that. Why didn't I think of that?
glitchhunter09 wrote:TC Dilophosaurus (Doesn't really seem to want to attack. Must be something to do with the AI string or something. Oh well, its still an interesting addition I think.)
Sounds like it.
glitchhunter09 wrote:I really wanted to add Spinosaurus to the level but unfortunately, the download on the site is missing his values.txt file for some reason.... :(
Silly SI forgot the values.txt. :no: You could download XmasGift and use one of the 2 Spinosaurs from it. I uploaded XmasGift to my SkyDrive. Don't forget, if you're going to use SI's JP3 spinosaurus skin to convert the textures to 256 color bitmap or else the spinosaurus will be a little transparent.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I can't download that. Its too big. My connection has issues with downloading things over three megabytes on some servers. My internet connection stops receiving information after a while and will stop in the middle of the download. Luckily, Mozilla Firefox's Download manager has ways of dealing with this because I can pause the download and restart it. Sadly though, it doesn't work on all download sites and I'll get an error saying "There was a problem and the download failed or something like that." either that or the download finishes incomplete and corrupts itself.
You see the problem lies in my internet connection itself. While my wireless connection doesn't receive information, it can send it onto the internet just fine for some reason. This means I can upload onto sites but downloading off of sites is a chore.
Your download site came up with an error after pausing and starting up again. Do you think you could try another site?

As for the map, I made an annoyingly deep hole that replaces one of the metal fences blocking one of the false exits. The player will fall down the hole for a long time and eventually close to the bottom, the camera is temporarily forced out of first person right before Anne hits the bottom of the hole and dies. The camera then zooms back in on her lifeless corpse.

I added a few more dinosaurs to the Labyrinth:
Tribe A Velociraptor
Tribe C Velociraptor
Albertasaurus
Triceratops

I think I'm going to quit with dinosaurs very soon as I'm running out of places to put dinosaurs where they won't notice each other.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, nice! Good work, glitch...

It isn't available for download yet, huh?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

You came just in time machf because I just uploaded it!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s0wu26

Well, there have been quite a few changes to the map in terms of stuff added. I added a Stegosaurus. I also added some hunter bones to the Labyrinth. This isn't the final product but it is pretty damn close.

The pit of death has bones outlining the sides that fall down it with you. However, I would like to note that now the game crashes when you die for some reason and I'm going to keep that bug in there just because I think its funny. The pit of death should be easy to locate without falling in it. It isn't that well hidden.

There is an end to the level. I would like to stress though that it won't be easy to find. My only clue is that in the Labyrinth things aren't what they seem. An extra bonus point if you find the exit. I put the exit in a spot nobody would dare look as the exit is not visible to the naked eye. (Please don't use TresEd to find it as that spoils the surprise.) Good luck though as the whole level's pretty much a death trap without cheats.

I also took a few action triggers from another map to activate music and voice audio from Anne. I need to adjust the dinosaur activation distance some so that the level is even harder. My main strive for this level is difficulty. That is why a Deinocheirus and T-rex ambush you from both sides at the very start of the level. luckily, there is a Toxic Rifle on the ground next to you and a doorway in front of you.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Not quite like the Pens level, but it definitely has some similarities...
I'm downloading it right now but I have to go out, I'll play it when I come back.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Take your time. Just so you guys know, I'm as impressed by my own work as you guys are. I'm only a newbie too. I think I got this modding stuff down.

One quick question though: What T- Script command controls the distance you have to be for a dinosaur to activate itself? I want the dinosaurs to activate at a reasonable distance from the player so that the level is more challenging. I also literally wanted the Second T-rex to chase the player through the maze without freezing after a certain distance.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:The pit of death has bones outlining the sides that fall down it with you. However, I would like to note that now the game crashes when you die for some reason and I'm going to keep that bug in there just because I think its funny. The pit of death should be easy to locate without falling in it. It isn't that well hidden.
That thing scared me, I almost fell in it because it appeared at the last second.
glitchhunter09 wrote:There is an end to the level. I would like to stress though that it won't be easy to find. My only clue is that in the Labyrinth things aren't what they seem. An extra bonus point if you find the exit. I put the exit in a spot nobody would dare look as the exit is not visible to the naked eye. (Please don't use TresEd to find it as that spoils the surprise.) Good luck though as the whole level's pretty much a death trap without cheats.
I wouldn't really say nobody would look there, after all, there is a big hint. The hint is what gave hope that there was an exit. Yes, I found my way out, but only after I read your post.

I have to say, there are a lot of problems with this level. One of the biggest being the tip of some walls are see trough and some physic boxes aren't right.
It's very impressive how much you learned and achieved in so little time.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Nick3069 wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:The pit of death has bones outlining the sides that fall down it with you. However, I would like to note that now the game crashes when you die for some reason and I'm going to keep that bug in there just because I think its funny. The pit of death should be easy to locate without falling in it. It isn't that well hidden.
That thing scared me, I almost fell in it because it appeared at the last second.
glitchhunter09 wrote:There is an end to the level. I would like to stress though that it won't be easy to find. My only clue is that in the Labyrinth things aren't what they seem. An extra bonus point if you find the exit. I put the exit in a spot nobody would dare look as the exit is not visible to the naked eye. (Please don't use TresEd to find it as that spoils the surprise.) Good luck though as the whole level's pretty much a death trap without cheats.
I wouldn't really say nobody would look there, after all, there is a big hint. The hint is what gave hope that there was an exit. Yes, I found my way out, but only after I read your post.

I have to say, there are a lot of problems with this level. One of the biggest being the tip of some walls are see trough.
I think the tips of the walls have to do with problems displaying graphics. Like I said it wasn't quite finished yet. I just released it because it was stable enough to play.

I think I can fix the messed up wall graphics by covering them up with something. WAIT! I can use the metal fence and just flip it on its side! That's it!

Also let the others find their way thorough because I want them to figure it out on their own. Oh and th reason why the stage dumps you into Industrial Jungle is because it is currently a placeholder. *cough* possible sequel hint *cough*

I really wanted to insert sawblades into the pit of death but I couldn't program them. (or make them) Oh well. You fall for a very long time before going splat. Anne's arm also stretches to impossible lengths. the bottom isn't even the real bottom.

Oh and if you would like to report bugs to me that would be great as I'm trying to find all of the bugs in the level. (not that there are many.) How was the difficulty for you?

btw I put my mark on the map. some of the walls form my username's initials. =P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Take your time. Just so you guys know, I'm as impressed by my own work as you guys are. I'm only a newbie too. I think I got this modding stuff down.

One quick question though: What T- Script command controls the distance you have to be for a dinosaur to activate itself? I want the dinosaurs to activate at a reasonable distance from the player so that the level is more challenging. I also literally wanted the Second T-rex to chase the player through the maze without freezing after a certain distance.

Code: Select all

float WakeUp = XX
float Sleep = YY
With YY>=XX

Also use

Code: Select all

bool ActStayNear = true
string StayNearTarget = "Player"
float StayNearMax = WW
float StayNearOK = ZZ
with WW>ZZ so that the creature will stay close to the player at all times.

The T-Script Reference is your friend... follow th link in Drac's signature.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Sure thing. Oh and what did you think of the map?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I have also DLed this but will be having to wait to play it... My guess is that there's a gap in the physics of the walls, as in the town, which will be visible in BONES mode.

Btw, have not read all the posts here but as for active dinos, you will not be able to have them all active when you want because there are so many. Trespasser will automatically leave some of them frozen because of the active ones. With your level having so little in actual content, it has the potential for greater total active dinos, but it's still going to be relatively low.. maybe around 6-8 maximum. Altering the Wake distance will not help - but you may be able to solve the problem in an odd way by having dinos remain asleep until a close distance; that way, they won't remain active for as long, causing other dinos to remain frozen.. it'll be a fine process of balance to figure out what works best. As an advanced option, I would personally make use of teleportation, which you can find simple examples of in LostJungle.

Drac out.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Draconisaurus wrote:I have also DLed this but will be having to wait to play it... My guess is that there's a gap in the physics of the walls, as in the town, which will be visible in BONES mode.
I found that out the hard way. An easy fix for that would be just to cover it up with something that won't make it stand out.
Draconisaurus wrote:Btw, have not read all the posts here but as for active dinos, you will not be able to have them all active when you want because there are so many. Trespasser will automatically leave some of them frozen because of the active ones. With your level having so little in actual content, it has the potential for greater total active dinos, but it's still going to be relatively low.. maybe around 6-8 maximum.
Draconisaurus wrote:Altering the Wake distance will not help - but you may be able to solve the problem in an odd way by having dinos remain asleep until a close distance; that way, they won't remain active for as long, causing other dinos to remain frozen.. it'll be a fine process of balance to figure out what works best. As an advanced option, I would personally make use of teleportation, which you can find simple examples of in LostJungle.
One problem with downloading Lost Jungle: My connection is screwed up and doesn't allow me to download things over three megabytes. Luckily, I already have a map that uses the teleport and it was the slight update to Pine Valley on the site. Its actually been quite useful for helping me learn how some T-Script commands work. Since the level is so spread out I might not have to regularly deal with the problem just as long as they kill just about every dinosaur they come across. I'm going to start eliminating dinos. (I pretty much ran out of room anyway.) Your tip helped though so thanks.
The TC Dilo is the first to go as it isn't working properly anyway. (I moves just fine. It just doesn't seem to be interested in attacking the player. Must be an AI issue I don't know about.) Plus machf directed me to the T-Script reference in your sig.