TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:17 pm 
Offline
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Sweden
TrespasserGuy wrote:
It works fine in CE, although it does tend to crash once you're in the Water Treatment Plant itself. When you go up the Operation Center's steps, that's where it crashes. I don't think its truly released yet, but I could try to fix up the level if General Kenobi wants.


I see. Yeah, GuiApp give some warnings, which might not be much but are easy to fix.

_________________
"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:32 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 10296
Location: Portland, OR
Hey Kenobi, glad you finally got this released!!! :mrgreen:

Level crashes in ATX but goes along fine (at least at first) in CE. Great job!! Enjoyed seeing the BioSyn jeeps from JPDS everywhere ;) My guess is that crashes from from object population, not sure though.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:41 am 
Offline
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1873
Location: Canada, eh?
ERMAHGURD! It's out! :D

First off, I'd better say that on my PC, it works 100% fine on Tres CE without a single crash, though I did notice a pretty nasty FPS drop when looking around in the WTP area itself down to 5-6 frames at times, but generally stays between 25-50 FPS. I think Draco is right - there are just too many objects, which likely stems from the amount of "building blocks" used to construct the WTP and the areas around it...I had the same problem with my Visitor Center on the old RTJP. All I can suggest for anyone still crashing is to use Tres CE and keep all graphics settings to a minimum and lower CullMaxDistance a bit.

Now, a full-out review because that's what I feel obligated to do for some reason! Text wall below:

Spoiler: show
I actually downloaded this a couple weeks ago and never got around to playing it, so I went in fresh when I started a few hours ago. Anyway! The level starts off nicely where the previous level left off, in the NedryTunnel that has been flooded. As soon as I walked outside, I was blown away by the awesome atmosphere and design of the initial area...might have to steal a visual or two myself. :pirate: I'll say here that throughout the level, the use of "building blocks" (other objects put together to make something) is constantly amazing and very well done, though it does hurt the FPS a lot in places.

Trekking through the initial jungle was nice enough, though the detail is sliiiiightly lacking, which is fair though as it saves FPS, so no points deducted. I understand that the level is unfinished, so I can't complain either about lack of voiceovers or general triggers either. I have to applaud your use of linked power lines as always - that's a pain to do. Anyway, further down the road I came to anther excellent looking area, the ruined bridges. Everything about this location was cool, especially the side bridge which I believe is a new model. Crossing the little rift was easy enough, though I think it should be widened so that players cannot simply walk around it (though I doubt many players would be THAT scared of a couple little jumps!)

At the end of this road comes the real "meat" of the level, the Water Treatment Plant. The entrance is great looking, and the InGen sign really completes it all. With the gate being smashed in, I decided it was time to go off-roading, turning right. I did, unfortunately, miss the camp and sunken ship off to the left of the road while playing through, which is unfortunate because it sort of sets off the W-Y plot that the level centers around (which I found quite amusing, though I was sort of hoping to see an Alien somewhere). My in-game trek took me around the perimeter of the WTP and to another gate, open this time, and a road that went off into the jungle. I decided to follow the road first, so I headed off away from the WTP. After a short stroll down the jungle road, I came to another very interesting and well-done scene, a blue BioSyn jeep at the base of a slope, clearly having gone through the fence. Climbing down, I quickly snatched up the dead driver's empty weapons to use as clubs as a pair of dilophosaurus attacked from the bushes. The battle I had here was quite epic, with me climbing into the wrecked jeep and swinging my guns vainly at the dinosaurs - eventually, I just had to run. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite find a way out of this little ditch, so I had to fly. Maybe a way to get out once you have gone in would be useful here? Back on the high ground, I followed the road further and to another great looking gate, which I couldn't enter, and to a collapsed ditch road that also looked excellent and was guarded by a classic Warpath cryolophosaurus. I was sort of disappointed to find that I couldn't proceed past this point, having traveled all this way, though I assume there was to be something beyond the metal gate atop the blank hill that is behind it.

I admittedly flew back to the entrance to the WTP and walked inside. This entire area is just fantastic. The big building I initially found my way into had some well-detailed loading bays on the outside, and a spectacular array of catwalks and pipes inside. I'm no Water Treatment expert, but this looked pretty cool to me. I was somehow compelled to climb to the top of this building, which was a fun experience - maybe a reward for reaching the top is in order? :wink: I did, however, get stuck on the parking lot area just outside of this structure, though...building blocks have never worked too well for floors, unfortunately. hppav's World Trade Center level has some really good concrete and painted line textures that would work well here.

Heading up the steps toward the Operations Center building, I quickly diverted myself to the left and headed toward another set of buildings. I found myself running around, looking at the buildings on the beach from every angle because I was so impressed by them, and I especially liked the new water tower model at the end of the area. Again, perfect job using limited resources to build something new! As I staggered around in awe, I came across some sort of bridge linking to a sort of building-thing in the ocean - I had to investigate. Noticing the hole in the primary entrance, I instead walked across the connecting pipes to reach the building, though ultimately had to fly back onto the main bridge as I couldn't jump from the pipe onto the actual ground. The inside of this building was something I've never seen before - a deep pit with a window that led to a very cool underwater view. I absolutely loved the originality here...everything about this area was perfect, though again I felt that some reward or puzzle MacGuffin was in order.

I made my way back to the Operations Center and ascended the steps - this is the area where my FPS is the worst, just to note. I entered the building and was again enthralled by the added detail, and was immediately intrigued to see a magazine that mentioned Alan Grant and...WEYLAND YUTANI?! Immediately interested further, I explored and came across a tunnel leading down some steps around the back area, and followed it further into a lab-like area that I eventually realized was a well-utilized TC Level research facility. Reports of a spreading DX Disease enthralled me, keeping the excitement at about 11. Eventually, I stepped out the doors and into yet another cool little scene, and began following a faint trail further into the jungle once more. Following a perilous leap across another gorge, I began heading toward a distant valley when I ran head on into a pack of Chaos Effect velociraptors! I love these guys so much, yet I had to dodge around them in panic as I was still without a weapon of any sort aside from my G3 club. :D
Then I walked around a corner and gasped.

Ahead was the sight of the huge canyon facility, Weyland-Utani logo emblazoned above a huge door into whatever that structure held. I couldn't find a way to ride the elevator down for the life of me, so I quickly flew down to the canyon floor to investigate. It was around this point that I heard something stomping around inside the building, though I was completely unprepared for the epicness that awaited me. This entire area was the great, so much originality combined with some of the coolest visuals to I've ever seen. I was unable to get into the huge structure, but thanks to the power of cheating, I went through the door just to investigate...and my balls were immediately blown off (sorry about that one :P ). A giant dinosaur, which I later learned was a Godzilla-sized giganotosaurus from Dino Crisis 2, was stomping around and trying to devour me, despite being 50ft too tall to pull it off. In absolute awe, I dodged my way around the gargantuan beast and stepped into a short corridor...and BOOM! I win! I did later play around in TresEd and discover the hallways above the giganotosaurus room, and I found that automatic turret pretty friggen cool looking, and found that "tyrannotops" skull, as well as another WY-related article. I assume we would eventually have made our way up there, through the vents and onto the roof? I also discovered the little passage off to the side of the canyon that led back to the ravine - a neat additon.


Whew! There's my essay for today. This was a great level, well worth the wait, and I'd be very excited to see it finished and patched up to a 100% state. I really want to find out where the Weyland-Yutani plot goes, and what that giganotosaurus is doing cooped up in there. There is just so much to see and do, and very little of the level feels empty. Every location is unique and interesting, and it makes me want to see MOAR. Excellent work, General. The Force is strong with you. :mrgreen: The final verdict is:

Map Design: 8.5/10 - So much good stuff, with very little I disliked or felt was arbitrary. Every location was unique, and I just wanted to keep exploring to see what the next marvel would be. The only place that bummed me out was the dead end with the cryolophosaurus, but I assume this area was unfinished.
Gameplay: 3.5/10 - Although I didn't really notice while I was playing, there is a lack of puzzles and gameplay elements that hold the playability back. Due to the lack of any major triggers, I also have to assume there was never anything like this implemented due to the unfinished state. I would like to have seen more challenges and brain-games and perhaps something to fight off the few dinosaurs with (NOT necessarily a gun, mind you!)
Story: 8/10 - An Aliens crossover? Gotta love it. I was really interested when reading notes and magazines, and all the little hints here and there of what might have been happening at that final facility made the mystery quite intriguing. Due to the lack of a finished ending, I can't give this a 9 or 10, which it would receive if there was an appropriate climax and denouement.
Creativity: 9.5/10 - Just...wow. With what you had, you achieved something quite spectacular! I was happy to see so much created using good ol' building blocks, plus an array of other objects and interesting areas that made me keep looking for more, plus the inclusion of a sub-plot. I cannot stress how well done everything feels despite the limited resources - excellent work!

OVERALL: 8/10
Unfinished but unforgettable. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:33 pm 
Offline
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:36 pm
Posts: 424
Location: United States
Im glad my level is getting so much attention. I know I has so problems, As with my lack of know how it coding and detailed editing.

TheIdiot wrote:
Spoiler: show
The level starts off nicely where the previous level left off, in the NedryTunnel that has been flooded. As soon as I walked outside, I was blown away by the awesome atmosphere and design of the initial area...might have to steal a visual or two myself. :pirate: I'll say here that throughout the level, the use of "building blocks" (other objects put together to make something) is constantly amazing and very well done, though it does hurt the FPS a lot in places.

Im glad you liked it so much! :mrgreen: Originally the level opened with you coming out of the tunnel and found an overturned WY color schemed JP jeep with a cage trailer that had a raptor in it. But it took a lot of texture pallets and wasent included in the final version.

TheIdiot wrote:

Spoiler: show
At the end of this road comes the real "meat" of the level, the Water Treatment Plant. The entrance is great looking, and the InGen sign really completes it all. With the gate being smashed in, I decided it was time to go off-roading, turning right. I did, unfortunately, miss the camp and sunken ship off to the left of the road while playing through, which is unfortunate because it sort of sets off the W-Y plot that the level centers around (which I found quite amusing, though I was sort of hoping to see an Alien somewhere). My in-game trek took me around the perimeter of the WTP and to another gate, open this time, and a road that went off into the jungle. I decided to follow the road first, so I headed off away from the WTP. After a short stroll down the jungle road, I came to another very interesting and well-done scene, a blue BioSyn jeep at the base of a slope, clearly having gone through the fence. Climbing down, I quickly snatched up the dead driver's empty weapons to use as clubs as a pair of dilophosaurus attacked from the bushes. The battle I had here was quite epic, with me climbing into the wrecked jeep and swinging my guns vainly at the dinosaurs - eventually, I just had to run. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite find a way out of this little ditch, so I had to fly. Maybe a way to get out once you have gone in would be useful here? Back on the high ground, I followed the road further and to another great looking gate, which I couldn't enter, and to a collapsed ditch road that also looked excellent and was guarded by a classic Warpath cryolophosaurus. I was sort of disappointed to find that I couldn't proceed past this point, having traveled all this way, though I assume there was to be something beyond the metal gate atop the blank hill that is behind it.


I probably should have made the biosyn camp stand out more. But make sure you check the boat as it has another magazine, with a great "reference" in to. 8)

The jeep of the road on the sloop with the dilos was an easter egg to Nedry's jeep in Jurassic park. And was ment to be a players death area. You fall in and cant get out and the dilos get you. :sick:

The road ditch with the Cryo was the road back to the pervious level.

and the locked gate was filler as there was so much jungle. and I had a thought that the next level would lead you back out of the facility and to there which would get you to a helipad at the top.

TheIdiot wrote:

Spoiler: show
I admittedly flew back to the entrance to the WTP and walked inside. This entire area is just fantastic. The big building I initially found my way into had some well-detailed loading bays on the outside, and a spectacular array of catwalks and pipes inside. I'm no Water Treatment expert, but this looked pretty cool to me. I was somehow compelled to climb to the top of this building, which was a fun experience - maybe a reward for reaching the top is in order? :wink: I did, however, get stuck on the parking lot area just outside of this structure, though...building blocks have never worked too well for floors, unfortunately. hppav's World Trade Center level has some really good concrete and painted line textures that would work well here.


I had an idea to put something at the top of the walkways. But never really had anything. I wanted to keep guns out of the level, making killing raptors too easy and the level less exciting.

TheIdiot wrote:

Spoiler: show
I made my way back to the Operations Center and ascended the steps - this is the area where my FPS is the worst, just to note. I entered the building and was again enthralled by the added detail, and was immediately intrigued to see a magazine that mentioned Alan Grant and...WEYLAND YUTANI?! Immediately interested further, I explored and came across a tunnel leading down some steps around the back area, and followed it further into a lab-like area that I eventually realized was a well-utilized TC Level research facility. Reports of a spreading DX Disease enthralled me, keeping the excitement at about 11. Eventually, I stepped out the doors and into yet another cool little scene, and began following a faint trail further into the jungle once more. Following a perilous leap across another gorge, I began heading toward a distant valley when I ran head on into a pack of Chaos Effect velociraptors! I love these guys so much, yet I had to dodge around them in panic as I was still without a weapon of any sort aside from my G3 club. :D
Then I walked around a corner and gasped.


I love the look of the chaos raptors as well. And the DX mystery.

TheIdiot wrote:

Spoiler: show
Ahead was the sight of the huge canyon facility, Weyland-Utani logo emblazoned above a huge door into whatever that structure held. I couldn't find a way to ride the elevator down for the life of me, so I quickly flew down to the canyon floor to investigate. It was around this point that I heard something stomping around inside the building, though I was completely unprepared for the epicness that awaited me. This entire area was the great, so much originality combined with some of the coolest visuals to I've ever seen. I was unable to get into the huge structure, but thanks to the power of cheating, I went through the door just to investigate...and my balls were immediately blown off (sorry about that one :P ). A giant dinosaur, which I later learned was a Godzilla-sized giganotosaurus from Dino Crisis 2, was stomping around and trying to devour me, despite being 50ft too tall to pull it off. In absolute awe, I dodged my way around the gargantuan beast and stepped into a short corridor...and BOOM! I win! I did later play around in TresEd and discover the hallways above the giganotosaurus room, and I found that automatic turret pretty friggen cool looking, and found that "tyrannotops" skull, as well as another WY-related article. I assume we would eventually have made our way up there, through the vents and onto the roof? I also discovered the little passage off to the side of the canyon that led back to the ravine - a neat additon.


I'm glad you had a hard time getting to the the facility, :P That was the only real puzzle I got into the level.
I tried to make the giga smaller so he could hurt you, or lower the walk ways, but neither seemed to work, :x I wanted him to be a sort of "boss" at the end of a level.
and the "tyrannatops" skull was actually my attempt to make an Ultimasuras skull 8)

TheIdiot wrote:
Whew! There's my essay for today. This was a great level, well worth the wait, and I'd be very excited to see it finished and patched up to a 100% state. I really want to find out where the Weyland-Yutani plot goes, and what that giganotosaurus is doing cooped up in there. There is just so much to see and do, and very little of the level feels empty. Every location is unique and interesting, and it makes me want to see MOAR. Excellent work, General. The Force is strong with you. :mrgreen: The final verdict is:

Map Design: 8.5/10 - So much good stuff, with very little I disliked or felt was arbitrary. Every location was unique, and I just wanted to keep exploring to see what the next marvel would be. The only place that bummed me out was the dead end with the cryolophosaurus, but I assume this area was unfinished.
Gameplay: 3.5/10 - Although I didn't really notice while I was playing, there is a lack of puzzles and gameplay elements that hold the playability back. Due to the lack of any major triggers, I also have to assume there was never anything like this implemented due to the unfinished state. I would like to have seen more challenges and brain-games and perhaps something to fight off the few dinosaurs with (NOT necessarily a gun, mind you!)
Story: 8/10 - An Aliens crossover? Gotta love it. I was really interested when reading notes and magazines, and all the little hints here and there of what might have been happening at that final facility made the mystery quite intriguing. Due to the lack of a finished ending, I can't give this a 9 or 10, which it would receive if there was an appropriate climax and denouement.
Creativity: 9.5/10 - Just...wow. With what you had, you achieved something quite spectacular! I was happy to see so much created using good ol' building blocks, plus an array of other objects and interesting areas that made me keep looking for more, plus the inclusion of a sub-plot. I cannot stress how well done everything feels despite the limited resources - excellent work!

OVERALL: 8/10
Unfinished but unforgettable. :mrgreen:


Thank you so much for the high score. I tried to put as much as I could in. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:04 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 10296
Location: Portland, OR
*crushed by wall of text* Very nice review, TI! You are the life blood of Site B... :mrgreen: ;)

I wanted to say - The flying you did to get into the final area was a little off from the intended route. I did the whole thing in TresEd I'm afraid (still waiting to get Tres CE working properly), but one thing I noticed eventually was the true way to get into the facility. You're supposed to go around the back (where IIRC some alpha raptors await you), then go through a back door into the main building. The elevator area seems to be a sort of dead-end preview area. This is why you couldn't get into the main building through the front way. ;)

Wanted to say, great level, General! Really loved the crossover stuff. Main crit is that there should be more weapons ;) I agree with the philosophy of avoiding over-weaponry, but I feel it went a bit too far in this level, into a sort of "I have absolutely nothing, the whole time, to combat the dinos..." Still, great job. Loved the use of JPDS stuff. ;) I will give the level an 8.5/10.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 10296
Location: Portland, OR
I just want to say... Going through this lev in TresEd, and it is probably one of the most under-appreciated levels created. It's obvious a gazillion buckets of time and imagination went into this thing, incredible! Sometime we should try to make a more stable version, perhaps procedural fresh level file population.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm 
Offline
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1873
Location: Canada, eh?
Draconisaurus wrote:
I just want to say... Going through this lev in TresEd, and it is probably one of the most under-appreciated levels created. It's obvious a gazillion buckets of time and imagination went into this thing, incredible! Sometime we should try to make a more stable version, perhaps procedural fresh level file population.

Been a while since I played this, but I'm fairly certian it does work in CE without crashing if you're gentle with it (don't look around too fast and try not to do anything that might cause a likely crash). I'm not really sure why it's so unstable as it isn't really all that object-heavy, especially compared to some levels we've made more recently.

_________________
Image

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:32 am 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 10296
Location: Portland, OR
I think a lot of it is due to the building-block method applied to almost all locations... As well, looking in TresEd I discovered that he seems to have cloned the $ubmodels of things when making clones of things like the JPDS vines and the crylophosaurus...

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 am 
Offline
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 1873
Location: Canada, eh?
Draconisaurus wrote:
As well, looking in TresEd I discovered that he seems to have cloned the $ubmodels of things when making clones of things like the JPDS vines and the crylophosaurus...

That could be a small problem. I don't recall any physics-related issues in the level, though.

_________________
Image

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 am 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 10296
Location: Portland, OR
Wouldn't expect them to be apparent. Possibly some physics overabundance, possibly issues with physics trying to occupy the same space.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm 
Offline
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:28 pm
Posts: 2278
The crylophosaurus was used? Does it have it's own unique sounds?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 10296
Location: Portland, OR
Dunno about sounds but both WTP and the level which leads to it have their own crylo version. The previous was white, WTP's is blue black and red.

_________________
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Image

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm 
Offline
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Sweden
Second Illiteration wrote:
The crylophosaurus was used? Does it have it's own unique sounds?


WTP does not have sound for it as it doesn't contain any TPA files.

_________________
"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sir Jack Of Baidu and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group