Re: Sound names from the .tpa files

Post by Rebel »

I'm amazed you figured out all that you did, machf. I never got one yet -
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I try to look for clues that may hint at the sound's name. For example, what I've been doing these days is looking at the oldest versions of the .TPA files and their Foley Tables, since they have fewer entries than later versions and so the name of a sound effect is likelier to be related to the name of the materials in the collsion(s) that use those effects (the same effect myay have been reused for other materials in later versions). Also, from how some values are grouped together, you may deduce that they share similarities in the name, as they tend to be ordered alphabetically by groups (for example, if you look at the sound effects beginning with "GUN - ", they are mostly sorted alphabetically, first a group of pistols and revolvers, then rifles, then shotguns, and finally tranquilizer guns).

Then there are also some mathematical properties which are useful, like the "CRCrev" column I've added in the listings gives a 4-byte "reverse CRC" value - that is, a set of 32 bits which gives the same CRC-32 code as the original string. Even though those values are NOT the same as the original strings, they share some properties with them. For example, a binary XOR of two of those values gives the same result as a binary XOR of the last characters of the original strings (if the rest of both strings was the same). If the XOR result is 0x00000003, for example, that is likely to mean that one string ends in "1" and the other in "2"; a XOR result of 0xF9AE0384 means one string ends in "small" and the other in "large"; 0x15C2730A means "heavy" and "light"; 0x1B0E1410 means "soft" and "hard"; 0x13061D10 is "dirt" and "wood", 0x090C0618 is "dirt" and "metl", and 0x1A0A1B08 is "wood" and "metl"; etc.

In all these cases, both strings must be of the same length, of course; when you have strings of different length, it's not that easy. But you can also try "ending strings" that will give you a new CRC-32 value for the preceding part of the string, that's how, for example, I've been able to determine that the following three strings:

Code: Select all

3C24056F
17370A85
FF53FA6E
start the same but end in " RUN", " START" and " STOP", respectively, even though I don't know the rest of the string yet (but in all likelihood, they begin with "SPEC-", since that's how other similar strings located nearby in the listing begin).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Patience bears its fruits...

I just tried a 6-character "brute force" random search (plus 4 "automatically" reverted characters) on one of the still unknown entries in the Effects.tpa files from the E3 and PCGamer builds, and got this one among the boatload of results, which stood out like a sore thumb:

Code: Select all

99D5C32E          HANDGUN 01
I'll keep trying to find out the rest...

EDIT: I just attached the results file in case anyone wants to see what it looks like.
Attachments
crackcrc99D5C32E.zip
(4.92 MiB) Downloaded 552 times
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hu, I think you're the only one that figures them out. ;)

*I think need a non xls list of the retail tpa names, machf. My sndids list is still missing
something like 60 sounds on it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just a thought.. should the sound apps be made to use an INI file similar to GeomaddKnownValues ?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Rebel wrote:Hu, I think you're the only one that figures them out. ;)
I could use some help... that list had 777405 10-character entries. Had it been 7 random characters+4 decoded ones (total 11), it would have had like 30 million entries and taken around a whole hour to generate. And a really long, long, LONG time to look through all the entries... had it been 8+4 characters, it would have taken a day or more, filled my HDD,and I'd rathe rnot waste my time browsing such a file...
*I think need a non xls list of the retail tpa names, machf. My sndids list is still missing
something like 60 sounds on it.
Well, if you open the .xls files with Office or OpenOffice, you can then extract each sheet as a .csv (comma-separated values) file, and then rename them to .txt if you like...
Draconisaurus wrote:Just a thought.. should the sound apps be made to use an INI file similar to GeomaddKnownValues ?
It would be best if they read the data from the .csv/.txt files... steal the naming convention from the TresTeam and call them Menu.txt, Ambient.txt, Stream.txt and Effects.txt, and have the programs look for them.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I could use some help... that list had 777405 10-character entries. Had it been 7 random characters+4 decoded ones (total 11), it would have had like 30 million entries and taken around a whole hour to generate. And a really long, long, LONG time to look through all the entries... had it been 8+4 characters, it would have taken a day or more, filled my HDD,and I'd rathe rnot waste my time browsing such a file...
My eyes couldn't take it. I couldn't even load that file, wordpad froze up on me. Wound up
loading it up in my hex editor to look at it. The amount of entries is insane.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Funny, Notepad DOES load it (under Windows 7 32-bit). But yes, it's better to use a hex editor.
Well, that gives you an idea of how hard it is to try to find out a sound name without guessing, in this case only a single entry among all those 777405 turned up to be just the proper, original one one (and thank God it wasn't a longer string of characters). I was searching inside the text file for any strings that contained "01" (or was it "gun"?), and I almost missed it because I kept pressing F3 ("next") but I had noticed the word "hand", so I searched backwards for it again... and there it was.

Now, would "foye-env1" mean anything? Does the word "foye" exist in English? Was anyone named Foye part of the Trespasser Team? Because that's a result that caught my eye for another entry... and another result for that same entry couldbe "v-olof-01", but that one doesn't sound convincing because it's a sound from the Ambient.tpa file...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Nice finding. "foye-env1" sounds way more like something the dev would name rather than "v-olof-01" tho I feel like most Ambient sounds usually have "amb_" to them, unless it is some early loop like FORESTLOOP.

Notepad++ is what I am using at it opens this file pretty quickly, at least on a modern PC.

If you want help to dig through some files (and spit them out) I would be up for it :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

"foye" could be an abbreviation of "foyer"? Some sort of sound environment?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, I've finally uploaded updated versions of all the TPA sound name listings, with the latest names discovered and some updates to the various fields contained in older versions. There are still like 50 sound names which remain unknown, though...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hurrah! It pays to be persistent...

343FD2E7 is "wood heavy low"... will add it to the listings in a while.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nice! How long did it take you to find that one? ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Didn't actually let the program search through random combinations, instead I tried some based on intuition by looking at the Foley table...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ooo, nice.