TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 am 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

I'm amazed you figured out all that you did, machf. I never got one yet -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:00 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

I try to look for clues that may hint at the sound's name. For example, what I've been doing these days is looking at the oldest versions of the .TPA files and their Foley Tables, since they have fewer entries than later versions and so the name of a sound effect is likelier to be related to the name of the materials in the collsion(s) that use those effects (the same effect myay have been reused for other materials in later versions). Also, from how some values are grouped together, you may deduce that they share similarities in the name, as they tend to be ordered alphabetically by groups (for example, if you look at the sound effects beginning with "GUN - ", they are mostly sorted alphabetically, first a group of pistols and revolvers, then rifles, then shotguns, and finally tranquilizer guns).

Then there are also some mathematical properties which are useful, like the "CRCrev" column I've added in the listings gives a 4-byte "reverse CRC" value - that is, a set of 32 bits which gives the same CRC-32 code as the original string. Even though those values are NOT the same as the original strings, they share some properties with them. For example, a binary XOR of two of those values gives the same result as a binary XOR of the last characters of the original strings (if the rest of both strings was the same). If the XOR result is 0x00000003, for example, that is likely to mean that one string ends in "1" and the other in "2"; a XOR result of 0xF9AE0384 means one string ends in "small" and the other in "large"; 0x15C2730A means "heavy" and "light"; 0x1B0E1410 means "soft" and "hard"; 0x13061D10 is "dirt" and "wood", 0x090C0618 is "dirt" and "metl", and 0x1A0A1B08 is "wood" and "metl"; etc.

In all these cases, both strings must be of the same length, of course; when you have strings of different length, it's not that easy. But you can also try "ending strings" that will give you a new CRC-32 value for the preceding part of the string, that's how, for example, I've been able to determine that the following three strings:
Code:
3C24056F
17370A85
FF53FA6E

start the same but end in " RUN", " START" and " STOP", respectively, even though I don't know the rest of the string yet (but in all likelihood, they begin with "SPEC-", since that's how other similar strings located nearby in the listing begin).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18