Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Bool Act??? & Update T-script Reference

Post by Draconisaurus »

Erm, mind saying what the update's on? Oh wait.. I'm gonna guess beta material. Did you get CHitSpang to actually work? None of us could.

PS: Mickey has fixed TG so it can be viewed by non-registereds. See the discussion on CHitSpang, if you like:
http://www.tresgame.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... ?f=12&t=23
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Getting it to work... I'm not really sure. Since the particles system is active, they may both conflict if the HitSpangs are too. I think I've seen it work, but can't be certain of it, when I tried it again I only got a particle jet...
We know HitSpangs were disabled at some point before final release, it may be a matter of looking carefully into the beta's decompilation.

I'm uploading my test level, you can get it after I post the link.

EDIT: here's the link
http://www.trescom.org/files/Levels/PVtest.rar (12MB)

Try it in the Beta, not the retail,of course...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well that was interesting. :lol: No CHitSpang I'm afraid. :? I also thought I saw it, on the first shot I fired, but then it always seemed like particles. Probably some sort of expectance perception. Anyway, that is one mean para :lol: Not only did he manage to kill me a few times on his own (you shouldda used GUIApp to make a working SCN! for restarting), but even after he was dead. Apparently his head is coated with a strong venomous compound - touching it means instant death for Anne.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, I've noticed that too. As for the .scn file, since I keep re-saving the level, at one point I just stopped bothering with it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just need to pop in here before I forget and say that I figured out exactly how the Priority value works. The values range from 0 to 4, each corresponding to a game quality setting. The number equals the lowest quality setting it will appear in; i.e. the default value is 0 (appears in all qualities), an object with a priority of 2 will appear in quality levels 2, 3, and 4, but not 0 or 1. There have been no objects with Priority 4 which is probably so you can use the second-highest quality without losing objects. It's worth noting that no one today is going to want to play on quality setting 1 (or 0), unless you're trying to play Tres on a hacked phone or something, so priority settings which only operate in this range will be fairly useless.

PS: Certain shifts between quality settings appear to teleport CWaterEntities several feet North or South, for entirely unknown reasons. It is recorded in savegames. So just be careful and try to avoid changing quality near any water...

PPS: I've written up this common-idea list for the uses of each priority value:

~~0 - Default (Always needed)
~~1 - Useless (Might as well use 0 if you're going this low)
~~2 - Stuff you'd only give up if stability depends on it
~~3 - Low-poly items you prefer but don't need
~~4 - High-poly nonessential scenery
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Ugh, the lower the priority value the more important it is. That doesn't make sense! :P Good work, interesting to know although probably in the end not extremely useful, still, good to add to our knowledge..
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It actually means the ones with highest values are displayed on highest quality settings only... of course it makes sense. When you lower the quality, the ones with higher priority values won't be shown anymore. But I had already mentioned that in some topic... I remember mentioning either the quality going from 0 to 4 while priority went from 1 to 4, or priority being from 0 to 3... most likely it was the first, matching what you said about 0 being useless.

EDIT: found it

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=7964&p=89894#p89894

Looks like I didn't update the T-Script Reference with all that yet, though. The latest version I have on my HDD just says "1,2,3 in original levels. Tied to video quality settings. (Not sure of exact usage, but eg. at low quality option, Priority 1 objects are not rendered, but Priority 3 objects are.)"...
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

I can't remember if it's already been stated and I have about 5 minutes to get ready for work now so time is short.

Anyway was experimenting with the beta/guiapp/retail and found that ReallyDie is used for bool ActDie; A Dinosaur plays ActDie from 0 to ReallyDie and then actually dies (stops making noises, stops doing anything post death) for good. Of course ActDie was removed in retail engine nothing we try will get it working :P so that's really a shame because ActDie worked and seemed to work well... of course there is the problem of players thinking it is still alive and shooting it out of panic and wasting ammo (not a problem in retail levels IMO guns are so abundant) that and ActCower also looks somewhat similar to ActDie (ActCower only occurs when Fear and Pain are high IIRC
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re:

Post by machf »

Some necro, but it's worth it...

Going through the PC Gamer executable, I realized there were some additional t-script parameters which were likely associated with magnets back then:

Code: Select all

BetaX
BetaY
BetaZ
Breakable
BreakStrength
BTorque
DeltaX
DeltaY
DeltaZ
KappaX
KappaY
KappaZ
Freedom
Magnet
MasterObject
Mu
Omicron
SlaveObject
XFree
YFree
ZFree
HandPickup
ShoulderHold
It appears the Magnet model was changed or simplified at some point, or maybe they changed the names of some parameters, I don't know... compare to the retail ones:
machf wrote: CMagnet values:

Breakable
BreakStrength
Delta
Drive
Delay
AngleMin
AngleMax
CMagnet
Instance
MasterObject
RestoreStrength
SlaveMagnet
SlaveObject
XTFree
YTFree
ZTFree
XFree
YFree
ZFree
HandPickup
ShoulderHold
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm. Any clue on the Delta/Kappa stuff or Omicron? I feel like someone in the right field would know what those mean...
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Literally, they are just names of Greek letters (same with mu). They're probably just variables in the physics equations that govern the behavior of the in-game magnets, so you can specify exact behavior.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No idea, really. I've seen those terms in the source code, but I don't know what they're about...

EDIT:
PhyState-000.txt wrote:Last time=0
OurKappa=0 OurDelta=0 OurMu=0
anne_this_terrain_bit=0 anne_last_terrain_bit=0

ControlArm: PosUrge=0 OrientUrge=0 Curl=0 UnderControl=0
Pelvis_Set_Crouch=-100 Pelvis_Jump=0 0 0
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

By default the expression checks if a trigger has ever fired, and putting "@" before the trigger name means "check the current state", or "Evaluate Now", but not all triggers have that function.
"Check the current state"... This refers to CBooleanTrigger, right? (it's been a bit) Does it refer to anything in addition?
"Evaluate Now"... whaaat does this mean.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

"Check the current state"... This refers to CBooleanTrigger, right? (it's been a bit) Does it refer to anything in addition?
Not exclusively, but yes, it can check the status of a CBooleanTrigger (true or false). I think you can use it for regular triggers as well - for instance, if you wanted to see whether the player was in a building, you could make a PlayerInTrigger - I'll use "Trig_PlayerInHouse" as the example - to detect when she's in the house and then use another EvaluateNow trigger with the line "FireExpression = "@Trig_PlayerInHouse" to check whether the player is in the house at the moment the trigger is fired.
"Evaluate Now"... whaaat does this mean.
It just means "check to see if the trigger is activated (PlayerInTrigger) or has activated (PlayerEnter/LeaveTrigger)". Putting a "@!" in front of your trigger should instead tell it "check to see if the trigger has not activated or is not activated".
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I thought I would post about this here, so it doesn't get "lost".
In the Script document, these are mentioned as unknown:

bool 	Merge 	true 	? Possibly a value exported from 3DS MAX (need to check).
bool 	Split 	true 	? Possibly a value exported from 3DS MAX (need to check).
bool 	Wrap 	true 	? Possibly a value exported from 3DS MAX (need to check).
These are present in the 3DS Max script "objprops" as selectable options. It appears they are default for triggers, as well as teleport triggers.

-- default trigger settings 
							local		TriggerDefaultsString = "bool Wrap = false;\r\r\nbool Merge = false;\r\r\nbool Split = false;\r\r\n"
In the script menu, they are listed under "Mesh Loading". Is it possible they are related to how the game will load these models?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."