Annes chest, making a man

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Uh huh, I had that very same idea a long time ago, but haven't tested it... yet. Need to find a way to attach the feet to the corners (or the edges, at least).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Great minds think alike. 8)
So nobody found a way to do so yet, hmm... :?
...Maybe CEntityAttached or something...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heh, well I doubt seriously that the unicycle technique will work. The Tres magnet system is extremely picky - go into JPDS~testing and over to the 50 cal at the end of the plank. That gun was intended to sing around like normal ones, but it doesn't because Tres magnets are too picky - I was trying to attach the legs of the gun to the crates below it, and in turn those crates to the plank itself. Turns out that if you do that, the gun will remain frozen. And I just left it that way, because the only other options are to have the gun remain in mid air after the plan falls or have the legs be loose from the crate, at least I think that's possible.. anyways, magnets don't like to deal with other magnets. I think it may even be impossible to attach two things (with magnets) to the same master object. People seem to think of Tres magnets are refrigerator magnets, you can just stick any two objects together with one at a certain point and expect everything to continue on as usual, but CMagnets are really more designed for things like holding doors and guns in place, allowing single objects to be broken away with enough force, and aligning the player's grip on a held object.

On the bright side, CEntityAttached should work. :P They are even allowed to have subobjects.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... it should be possible to have slave magnets, at least from the object classes available. And a magnet can have both a master and a slave object, I think the slave is used to reference the magnet and it must be unique.

Anyway, I wonder if magnets can be used to attach bones to other things, that was my first idea for Anne's foot object when I was thinking of attaching the feet to opposite sides...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Good luck, that's all I have to say on that...

(and yeah I know about slave/master, that's what I tried for the 50 cal and I think the results in using both those values were even worse off than what it's like now, but the gun needed to have specific axes free, perhaps fully free-moving objects will be different.....)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, you just need to think further. I bet I can make that Barrett rifle in the JPDS test level both free-swiveling AND attached to the crate - I devised a method for something like that some time ago, but never actually got to test it on anything, this may be just what I was waiting for... (do you want the player to be able to break it away from the crate or not?)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm.. cool idea. Well, here's how it works: The original idea was a concept Ryan did a long time ago, something I probably won't end up doing exactly, about entering a cave through a man-made tunnel at the "second story" of the cave, looking down on the ground. On the platform above the ground is a mounted gun, but under the right circumstances, the platform may be broken away and the gun falls with it. That plank in JPDS~testing is the simplest representation of such a scripting event. There were originally magnets attaching all the pieces - between the plank and the 1st crate, the 1st crate and the 2nd crate, and the 2nd crate and the beretta legs (and of course the gun's magnet would have the legs added as a master object, which it normally doesn't have, also keep in mind that the base instance of the 50 cal has no magnet). I don't think that's what it is now - each of the instances start as frozen, and the trigger that monitors RaptorJF-01 entering it unfreezes all of them. The fact of the legs being moveable and frozen is actually what causes the gun to be fixed in place - the gun is never meant to be frozen.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, here it is, as promised:

http://rapidshare.com/files/52396693/TestBarrett.avi

(Didn't attach it to the crate, I saw no point in it)

What do I get?
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote: I know about slave/master, that's what I tried for the 50 cal and I think the results in using both those values were even worse off than what it's like now, but the gun needed to have specific axes free, perhaps fully free-moving objects will be different...
I think the reason why the gun on that crate is so stiff was because you had magnets to make the player hold it like a normal gun (not mounted).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:|
Wow, you get... a cookie! :D Note: must be within 2 mile radius of Iowa City, IA to collect payment. ;) Heh so, can you simply export the correct objects, package um up and send them, ready after import? And/or do I need to delete some current objects first... (EDIT: Or, you could just post the necessary scripts and procedures I guess. :P)

But seriously, that is quite nice. I'll have to take a look at how you did that, it may just be useful in a number of other ways...

Oh and, someone go test out the unicycle thing now. :yum:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's my secret procedure for making openable doors on moveable cars and other stuff. And I didn't have to add anything, just modified the scripts a bit...

(Now you realize why I was asking if I could make new physics objects for the truck in the contest level...)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, if anyone wants to have some fun walking Bob around, here is my little test level:

http://rapidshare.com/files/52729425/minilevBob2.zip

I don't remember if I gave him a sahdow in that version, in any case he can have one now that the's got a full body...

I wouldn't suggest importing him into another level, as he doesn't have any subtitute meshes, and you may get into trouble if you pick up any objects which indicate one...

And Bob doesn't have a health indicator, either, so you won't know how damaged you are until you die.

Keep in mind this is a proof-of-concept, more than anyhing else. Stage 1 was to see if the player HAD to be named Anne (it didn't), this other stage was to test if you could use a different mesh (you can). The next stage will be a full implementation, but it won't be available for some time...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Ladies and gentlemen, the next phase (Phase 2) is finished. Now, meet Khaled, Bob's big cousin:

I've been holding him all this time, until I was able to make Bob fully functional first (in fact, Bob came after him, to try something simpler,that's why I called him Phase 1.5 - and the first one was Joanne, remember?). Now he's also ready, and you can see him in all his splendor...

As you see, Khaled has a shadow, since he does have a full body... and you'll notice that his head doesn't interfere with his vision. It did a little at first, but I enlarged it a bit and repositioned some bits like the earlobes so that there weren't any triangles facing inwards.

And here you can see how Khaled's belly has the same effect as Anne's boobs, not allowing you to see his feet (so, even though unlike Anne, you don't have to hide the fact that there are no feet, you can hide the fact that they don't really move).

And here you can see Khaled in 3rd person mode:

As I had mentioned a long time ago, Anne (and now, Khaled too) has an exceptionally long right arm, which isn't properly scaled to the rest of the mesh...

A little video of Khaled jumping:
http://rapidshare.com/files/52361952/KhaledJump.avi

And the worst part was having to make all those possible substitute meshes for the player model... but anyway, Khaled is now fully functional, with substitute meshes and damage animation included.

See him pick up different objects:

And pushing a button:

This is Khaled with 100% health:

Heavy damage after a fall:

Getting better:

Fully restored:

Khaled projecting a shadow:

Dead after a long, long fall:

Khaled seen in 3rd person mode from different angles:

There are still further Phases to come... involving a mesh with BOTH moveable arms and corresponding substitute meshes, figuring a way to make the feet move (or seem as if they moved), and yes, being a dinosaur instead of a human player... but you'll have to wait for that.
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Very good. Now we just have to get the legs to move. How did you get the arm rigged. My theory on how to get the guy was to actually use the vertices of Anne, but make a new model. In other words, only move vertices to make a new model, and leave the arm area in tack. This would have been difficult.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote::|
Wow, you get... a cookie! :D Note: must be within 2 mile radius of Iowa City, IA to collect payment. ;) Heh so, can you simply export the correct objects, package um up and send them, ready after import? And/or do I need to delete some current objects first... (EDIT: Or, you could just post the necessary scripts and procedures I guess. :P)

But seriously, that is quite nice. I'll have to take a look at how you did that, it may just be useful in a number of other ways...
Well, as I said, I modified the scripts slightly, in the same way I was working on my project for moveable vehicles with open-able doors... I was testing that on the contest level, both with the pickup truck and the raptor cage (remember I mentioned something about those not having proper physics objects and asking whether I could import new ones? Now you know why) (Oh, and in case you're wondering, the raptor cage is a simpler version of the same thing I wanted to do with the pickup, even though it's not a vehicle,the principle is the same - a moveable object with a hinged door). Anyway, since I haven't gotten that to work as I wanted (yet), I'm just posting the scripts involving the Barrett, which are somewhat simpler...

Code: Select all

ValueTable for instance 1323 "PbarrettLegs-01" :

group PbarrettLegs-00 = {
    string Class = "CInstance"
    bool Tangible = true
    bool Moveable = true
    bool Frozen = true
    float Density = 10.000000
    string Type = "Compound"
    string Model00 = "$FPbarrettLegs-00"
    float Diffuse = 1.200000
    float Specular = 1.200000
    float SpecularAngle = 37.000000
    bool Instance = true
}
The bipod is still frozen by default.

ValueTable for instance 1322 "Pbarrett50cal-02" :

group Pbarrett50cal-00 = {
    string MFlashObject0 = "FMFfiveprongMF06-00"
    string MFlashObject1 = "FMFfiveprongMF07-00"
    string MFlashObject2 = "FMFfiveprongMF08-00"
    bool RandomRotate = true
    float MFlashDuration = 0.000000
    string Sample = "GUN - BARRET LIGHT 02"
    string EmptyClipSample = "GUN - AUTOMATIC DRYFIRE 01"
    string SoundMaterial = "Rifle"
    float WakeUp = 200.000000
    float RecoilForce = 150.000000
    float ROF = 1.000000
    float Push = 400.000000
    float Damage = 100.000000
    float DamageMultiplier = 1.000000
    float Range = 500.000000
    int MaxAmmo = 10
    float Diffuse = 1.200000
    float Specular = 1.200000
    float SpecularAngle = 37.000000
    string Class = "CGun"
    bool Tangible = true
    bool Moveable = true
    float Density = 0.080000
    string Type = "Compound"
    string Model00 = "$FBarretBoxes0-00"
    string Model01 = "$FBarretBoxes1-00"
    string Model02 = "$FBarretBoxes2-00"
    string Detail1 = "$Pbarrett50calDRC-00"
    float A01 = 30.000000
    string DetailShadow = "$Pbarrett50calShdw-00"
    string Barrel = "$Fbarrettbarrel-00"
    string RecoilOrg = "$Fbarrettrecoil-00"
    string MFlashOrg = "$FbarrettFlash-00"
}
Left this one as it was originally, I think.

ValueTable for instance 1326 "Mag50calMounted00-00" :

group Mag50calMounted00-00 = {
    string Class = "CMagnet"
    bool ZFree = true
    bool XFree = true
    string MasterObject = "Pbarrett50cal-02"
}
Slight change to the magnet: don't use "bool Instance = tue" if the magnet isn't attached to the 'master copy' (-00) object; it's meaning is "all instances of this object should contain a copy of the magnet too", and this is not the case, this magnet is attached to the -02 object only.

ValueTable for instance 1328 "Trig_BumpPlatform00" :

group Trig_BumpPlatform00 = {
    string Class = "CLocationTrigger"
    bool CreatureEnterTrigger = true
    int FireCount = 1
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        bool Enable = false
    }
    group Action01 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        string SlaveObject = "PbarrettLegs-01"
        bool ZFree = false
        bool XFree = false
        bool Breakable = true
        float BreakStrength = 30.000000
        bool Enable = true
    }
    group Action02 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        string Target = "PcrateBulkLt03-01"
        bool Frozen = false
    }
    group Action03 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        string Target = "PcrateBulkLt03-02"
        bool Frozen = false
    }
    group Action04 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        string Target = "PbarrettLegs-01"
        bool Frozen = false
    }
    group Action05 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        string Target = "GunPlatformFall00-00"
        bool Frozen = false
    }
}
And the trigger. You'll notice I changed the order of some actions and added a couple new ones. First, I disable the magnet, then I reenable it, but this time it isn't a 'pivot' (or 'hinge'), instead it's a 'common' magnet attaching two objects - I even made it breakable. After that, I 'unfreeze' the objects, with the platform itself being the last one.

So, you see, no big deal, really...