Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Tope1983
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

New 3ds Model-Import

Post by Tope1983 »

Hi fans!

I've got one problem. I'm able to import exported Trespasser Models into other levels and this is also possible with the lost models I downloaded a few months ago and with the fan-created "Raptorcage".

Now I tried to generate an own 3ds model.
I used AutoCAD 2002 and generated the research trailer of the movie - I exported it as a 3d-studio file (3ds) but when I want to import it with GeomAdd it says that there're missing textures (okay I agree) and missing values.txt file. But it should be imported.

Everytime I start the fantastic Trespasser-Editor TresEd the model isn't in the level.

Is there something special I have to do, that GeomAdd can use my 3ds file?

Thx, yous Thomas!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

3ds studio files are missing an 'instance' of the model, thereby causing an import failure. Using Milkshape as your model building and exporter has the same problems. The only way around this problem (that I'm aware of), is to create a dummy model (meaning, copy a mess or import a valid trespasser model into your level with the same name choosen as that of your 3ds studio file), and choose the options replace mesh/replace instance when importing your new model.

Doing the above, will allow you to import 3ds studio. As far as values text files, when you create a new model you need to write a values text file on your own. Give a few models inside of trespasser a look, or even export a few. This will give you an idea of what the value files look like and how do go about writing up your own.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Rebel, are you saying it is not possible to import in GeomAdd 3ds models generated in 3DS Studio Max? :shock:

When I import 3ds models w/o textures TresEd won't display them (unless checking "Non-visible as wireframe") but they are visible as "ghosts" in Trespasser.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

No, not impossible. Though, there are variants of the 3ds format that Trespasser doesn't like. 3dMax is fine and dandy, as will the plugin currently being written for Gmax to support tpm format will allow for model import.

I'm not the expert on the 3ds format (that'd be either Remdul or Andres), but I am aware of the problems involved and how to circumvent them.

;)
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

I've put up new versions of TresEd and GeomAdd at my test page: http://www.geocities.com/andres_james/Temp . GeomAdd now adds instances for unused meshes, so hopefully will import 3ds files from AutoCAD and Milkshape. Also new is a level rename function, though that only works for some levels (eg. minilev, demo, be, jr, sum). Let me know how it goes!