Help! floating objects??

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Help! floating objects??

Post by IsToR »

Let's say I want to make a table. I then make a table model, and then I put these invisible models around the legs and the different parts of the table so that stuff doesn't go right through it. How can I make it so that I can toss around the table? I mean, if I lift the model from one leg, doesn't only the invisible model go, and the table is still left on the ground? How can I make the invisible models stick to stuff?
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Wait, I just realized that I have not tested this. hehe. BRB
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Only difference is the '$'

So, your subobjects for a 'moveable' model will be labeled $'s, GeometryType 1

Example:

group Table = {
string Model04 = "$subtable00"
string Model03 = "$leg04"
string Model02 = "$leg03"
string Model01 = "$leg02"
string Model00 = "$leg01"
string Type = "Compound"
bool Tangible = true
bool Moveable = true
string Class = "CInstance"
int ext_GeometryType = 2
}
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Damn milkshape!! I hate it!! is there anything else (except 3d studio and GMax) that I can use which works when importing into a level. When doing this procedure which rebel came up with, it only works sometimes..
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Rebel wrote:Only difference is the '$'

So, your subobjects for a 'moveable' model will be labeled $'s, GeometryType 1

Example:

group Table = {
string Model04 = "$subtable00"
string Model03 = "$leg04"
string Model02 = "$leg03"
string Model01 = "$leg02"
string Model00 = "$leg01"
string Type = "Compound"
bool Tangible = true
bool Moveable = true
string Class = "CInstance"
int ext_GeometryType = 2
}
thanks! I have this really cool idea, and now I can finally try it :). But I won't do anything more for today, I'm kind of mad at milkshape and tired of this long procedure when I only want to import a model. Guess I'll try tomorrow or something.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yea, that workaround for MilkShape is a bit of a pain, though for 20 dollars guess we can't complain. ;)

I always use the same dummy model, (Call it dummy model, too). If I decide to keep the model, I just copy the mesh, rename it and continue to keep my 'dummy' named model.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

btw, can I put in a weapon also? so that it sticks to the table and is not moveable in relation to the table, yet still usable.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

and can I make a copy of the model itself, and imoprt it as a Type 2 model and use it as a physics model? Or do I have to put these blocks all over
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

btw, can I put in a weapon also? so that it sticks to the table and is not moveable in relation to the table, yet still usable.
Istor, perhaps it's because I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet, though I'm rather confused as to what precisely it is that you're asking here.

How can an item be non-moveable, yet still usable?

Or, is it your intention to 'stick' the knife into the tabletop, whereas Anne could extract it from that location, or if you lift the table, the knife stays with the table; is that it?

If the above is true, then you could use a magnet (with breakable=true, breakstrength=blah values), to keep the knife in place until the required force is exerted upon the knife to break it free. You'd probably want it to be a $model to do this; making your subbox shorter (part of visible model, the blade, sticks out of the $ model as not to create undue friction or interpentration as the knife is either extracted or broken free.

The hold, and shoulder hold magnets for a given weapon is yet another matter. Anne, can't pick anything up properly unless you assign these magnets to the new object and set their distance n' rotation properly. The easiest method would be to export the TresCom knife (temporarily rename the masterobject string of the mags to a bogus name which would enable you to switch your knife with the TresCom knife, then reassign the Magnets to your own weapon once you ease it into the same position as the original knife that you're replacing. If you do this (use TComs' magnets), it'd probably be best if you renamed them afterwards as to not create a potential conflict of names.

If you were to nix the idea of stabbing the knife into the tabletop, then your knife needn't be a string model at all (no sub-models).
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

uh? magnets?
hmm ok, Ill just try to explain what I want to do, but I want it to be a surprise, so I that's why I took a table as example... it might be hard to understand why I want a weapon on a table, heh :) .

I meant that I want for example the table to be stuck on a gun, and the whole package should be able to float on water, and the gun should still be useable as a normal weapon, but with the table stuck on it :). So the table stands on the ground (or floats on water) and Anne should be able to grab the handle of the gun and shoot while the gun is like glued to the table. :)
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Now I know everything I need to know.. that weapon thingie is not necessary :P. Thanks for the help!