Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Tomi
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Somebody help me, please!

Post by Tomi »

Ok, here is the problem:

I used Geomadd to import a bridge to my level. The level worked just fine, exept the sky was white and the bridge didn´t have any textures. I imported the sky again hoping that it would work, but nothing changed.
I re-installed the trespasser from a cd and now when I replace the ij.GRF file with the one I´ve edited for a month it crashes! If I replace the ij.wtd, ij.scn and ij.pid the game works just fine, but somehow there seems to be a problem with this ij.GRF file. I have many copies of my level files (pid, grf, scn and wtd), and I´ve tried all of them. Some of them are just pretty old and ofcourse it would be great if the newest could work.

So, where is the problem?!

Oh man, if I can´t get it working anymore I swear that I´ll never do anything for Trespasser anymore. :x

-Tomi
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Off hand, I couldn't say what's wrong. But.... you can't mix n' match grf files with scn files not meant for that specific grf if it's been rebuilt using spatial partitions. You'd have listings inside the scn file that wouldn't necessarily correspond to the models inside another grf. That by itself would cause a crash. Pids could be another stickler, since if you have models without their graphics listings (pid missing that entry), the level will crash. I realize that it takes up alot of hd space, but when you save a level, save the entire level, not just the grf. You can also use a dummy scn file (like that of the minilev, just rename inside using hex editor) named to your level to avert possible partition woes.
Tomi
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Tomi »

Rebel, could you check out my files and find out what´s wrong? They are not very big...

On the other hand, here is what the Geomadd says:

Welcome to GeomAdd.
Please select level and file or directory to import.

Loading level for verification...
Verifying level...
Name: "ij"
SCN: "e:\cd\data\ij.scn"
GRF: "e:\cd\data\ij.grf"
PID: "e:\cd\data\ij-130.pid"
SWP: "E:\Pelit\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\ij-130.swp"
SPZ: "e:\cd\data\ij-130.spz"
Verifying instances...
Verifying meshes...
Verifying values...
WARNING: Missing instance "PHjeepOpenwindow00-01", used in "TrigAlbertNoticePlayer-00.Action00", value StayNearTarget
WARNING: Unknown value 'ActJumpBite' found in "RaptorA111-00".
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\ij\TIJWF0_0031t2.BMP", used in CInstance "TUnderWaterFall-00", value Anim31
ERROR: PID is missing texture "Map\ij\TIJWF0_0030t2.BMP", used in CInstance "TUnderWaterFall-00", value Anim30
NOTE: Multiple classes CSky found
Verifying PID...
Used 4.8MB of 6.3MB available primary texture space
Used 23 of 98 available palettes
Verifying SWP and SPZ...
ERROR: 5 PID entries extended past end of SPZ
Finished verification.

-Tomi
Last edited by Tomi on Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

So long as it isn't a contest entry, yes.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Most immediate problems:

You have two sky models in level. Delete one of those. Having two sky models will cause an immediate crash.

You're missing the model 'PHjeepOpenwindow00-01'. This generally causes a game hang. You either need to import this model to satisfy the trigger's parameters or reassign that 'noticeplayer' trigger to use an object that does exist.

Missing textures: That could be a fluke, as sometimes these animated textures don't get picked up by geomadd. But to be certain, you could always locate these textures, assign them to another object (could make it invisible) such as a box, then import. Or, you could simply delete the listings of anim. 30 and 31 from the waterfall's tscript which would also eliminate the reported error.

Spz file could be a problem, but so long as the swp file exists and it's an edited level, you don't need the spz file anyway. Just put it aside, outside of the data folder.
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
-=TresCom Administrator=-
Antispam: No

Post by Nem »

I fixed my textures problems by import the models all over again.

Oh, and the same thing has happened to me, it really gets on my nerves when i get carried away and continue editing without saving, and then some error pops up... :(
Tomi
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Tomi »

Nem, Yes I did that (re-imported a car tire) and Rebel I deleted that trigger and now my level works again, thanks guys! Oh boy, I didn´t even notice when I was reading the level verification that it complained about trigger error :)

-Tomi
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Asjad »

And my problem STAYS WHERE IT IS!even after importing a new terrain from .bmp and there is nothing but Anne and the Terrain objects the level still crashes while loading :x
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Asjad, is this an entirely new level? LIke the minilev, but renamed?

*Verify the terrain_placement-00 model's wtd string filename = your actual wtd file. (trigger object, just below 0,0,0)

*Did you import another terrain texture for the main object? If so, is it 8bit (256 color)?
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Asjad »

it is an entirely new level........no new terrain objects.....just the first already existing terrain object.....it works then.....but when i import a new terrain e.g it.wtd thats what i am actually importing.....when i start loading the level it just crashes doesnt even load just crashes in midway and back to the desktop
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Using 8bit gray scales, right? Beyond the bmps needing to be sized by powers of 2, eg. 128, 256, 512 and so on, there shouldn't be any problems importing new terrain that I'm aware of.
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Asjad »

I dont really understand whats gone wrong....maybe its just a bad day for me :lol: but really......it wroked flawlessly a few months ago...there werent any problems then....but now........i dont know whats wrong :x
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Asjad »

And this is making me really feel bad and making me angry.....everyone's level will work except mine :x
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

'Bout the only other option available to you if you're having such trouble importing new terrain would be to use another wtd file (renamed, of course to match your level), then use TresEd's terrain editing tools to alter the terrain to meet your desires.