Help to start a new level...

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

transmission
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Help to start a new level...

Post by transmission »

I'm currently interested in creating my own terrain and importing objects just to see if I can come up with some cool atmospheres. Does anybody know how I can make a new terrain and import trees and dinosaurs?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hmm... rather difficult to give you a simple, crash course and send you on your way.

Firstoff, you need the tools, if you don't already have them.

Download, both TresEd (Editor) and GeomAdd (Model Importer)

http://www.geocities.com/andres_james/TresView/

*I'll assume that you have at least the demo on our comp*

To load level, use the dropdown menu or folder button. Locate level swp (found inside trespass/data directory, if demo, or inside of c:\programfiles\dreamworks\trespasser folder). Most often, the location is preset to retail and searching isn't necessary --

Exporting Models:

You can export any model you like (except dinos) using either 3ds, or tpm export. This extracts both the geometry and the textures for the given model. You use GeomAdd, to import models to other levels. I suggest that you download the 'minilev' found at Trescom's site, under 'levels'. This is an entirely blank level, consisting only of player (Anne), and is an excellent method of not only building a level from scratch, but also experimenting with the art of level building and model importing.

Many models have either sub-objects or strings ($models) attached to them, so they need to be exported along with the visible portion of the model as well. Use either drop-down menu, or buttons in toolbar marked; ' I ' and ' $ ' to be certain that you don't miss any of those subobjects. 'HighLight' single objects (models without other sub-models), or draw box around models with mouse (left button). Once model highlighted, go to menu, file, export as either 3ds or tpm file. Export, to location of choice --

*Always choose option (export box) 'include geometry type'*

Dinos:

2 things here. You must first export a dino (3ds or tpm) for the textures, then use GeomAdd's function (extract grf) to actually export a dino from a level.

You'll need to know the dino's name, and the level name, since you're required to type these two values in. Extract the Model, not the Instance. Simplier, 'master model' not copies.

Example:

TRex00-00 (Your Target)

TRex00-01 (Not your Target) TREx00-01 would be a copy.

Terrain:

Once a level is loaded, you can export the terrain data as a bmp file. This can be altered, then re-ported (or imported) to replace the current landscape (or wtd file). You'll find this option under 'Hacking'. Your target, 'export terrain'.

There's a helluva lot more to this, and it's really difficult to put it into a few paragraphs. Though, I suggest that you get your feet wet first, familiarize yourself with the tools and procedures, and then you'll have a better idea of what you need to know.

Hope, some of this helps you....
transmission
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by transmission »

That was a lot of help, thanks! I edited the terrain of the mini level and added objects. How would I go about changing the texture of the terrain, from sand to the green/brown ground? How can I add fog? And, is there anyway I can play my level in game to see how it looks?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hmm... the Minilev uses the testscene's landscape (testscene.wtd file) for its terrain. Not sure that you knew this --

To view level, you can either place the minilev files; minilev.grf, minilev.scn, minilev-130.pid, minilev.swp and the testscene.wtd file inside of the TresPass/data folder.

Or;

you can copy the cd onto your harddrive, install from that location (typical, is generally sufficient), and then place the above mentioned files into the cd/data directory.

To access level, use the menu cheat; shift+ctrl+Q+W-W

*Terrain: This, should already be brownish/green, which is why I mentioned the wtd file above. You may be loading and viewing level without terrain*

There isn't any Fog_start trigger in the minilev, but you can import one from any of the levels (include geometry during export option), then import it into the MiniLev. The triggers are generally found at or near the 0,0,0 coordinates.

Sample 'Fog' settings. Change existing values to;

float FogPower = 0.800000
float FogHalf = 0.027000
int B = 193
int G = 196
int R = 203
bool Split = false

Click 'update' afterwards.

Decreasing FogHalf #, increase fog density.
transmission
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by transmission »

I moved the files you mentioned into the C/ Tres Cd/data directory and the level was about the load in the game when it said "fatal error detected" or something like that. HOw would I fix this?

Also, I had several mini levels and I was experimenting with each one of them. Then I opened the ascent level to export the fog trigger. ( Do I export it as an object .3do or using the export in GeomAdd?) I tried loading my 2nd mini level in Tres Ed and it said "could load terrain from C:/TRESCD~1/data/minilev.wtd using approximated terrain instead." Firstly that is the wrong location of the 2nd mini level. And it proceeded to open my first mini level on a flat terrain...I have no idea why it's doing this?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

transmission wrote;

"....I moved the files you mentioned into the C/ Tres Cd/data directory and the level was about the load in the game when it said "fatal error detected" or something like that. HOw would I fix this? "

Well, GeomAdd has a function that is called 'Verify Level'. What this does is identify the general errors within a level; this gives you the ability to use TresEd to correct those errors so that you can proceed with loading the level.

Suggestion: Try not to work with too many versions, you're going to start pulling your hair out. Also, I noticed that you have your wtd file named, 'minilev.wtd'. Unless you changed terrain placement value, it should read 'testscene.wtd'. You'll receive an immediate error right there while attempting to load the level, and GeomAdd won't detect this error, either.

Other question: export object.3ds, yes. You don't really need to export with the grf, (except dinos or sometimes, very complex models) and it's even possible to export these (dinos too, so I'm told) with the tpm export, though since I haven't personally verified that this process works, I chose not to recommend it.

Summing up (before I fall asleep here), I'd start with fresh files and delete all other minilev levels that you've been working on. It's going to get too confusing with various copies of the level to work with.

Last suggestion: Each time you make a major change, check to be certain that the level loads. If it doesn't, use the 'Verify Level' function, fix problem, then proceed --
transmission
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by transmission »

Okay, I started fresh, got the fog into the level, edited the shape of the landscape, but when I imported the raptor .3ds and .grf there appeared to be two raptors (a 3ds one and a grf one) and the level would not load in the game...how can I fix this and get the dinos working? Verify level didn't find anything. I'm not sure what you mean when you said the minilev.wtd should be named testscene.wtd, because it was working until I attempted to import the raptor.
Also, any object I imported I could walk right through...how could I fix this? And there were no sounds.
I'd also like to be able to changed the texture of the terrain from the sandy one used in the testscene to a green, jungle texture.

Thanks again for the help!
Andres
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Andres »

Hi transmission, good to hear from people that are making their own levels :) I have to appologise for not being around to help people, nor to make some proper help for TresEd. I'm travelling around Europe at the moment so I don't have much free time.

Anyway, firstly, if you got minilev from trescom.org then it does use minilev.wtd, it was only an older version that used testscene.wtd. And about objects that you can walk through, Rebel might be more help there, but perhaps reading his first reply above about sub-objects might explain your problem.

Dinos can not be imported from a 3ds, that will break your level. The reason for exporting the dino as 3ds as well as grf is that the grf export function does not export textures, so to get the textures the 3ds export must be used. Just ignore the 3ds file, and put the textures in the same directory as the grf.

An alternative is to use the TresEd "Export TPM" function. This should export a whole dino at once (including textures), which you can then import using GeomAdd. But as Rebel mentioned this method has not been tested fully.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

transmission wrote;

"....Also, any object I imported I could walk right through...how could I fix this? And there were no sounds... "

I needn't add much to Andres' post, except for this particular statement above.

Be certain, that you're exporting the sub-objects (remember 'I' and '$' buttons in toolbar) if that particular model has them. Also, be certain that you're 'exporting' a values.txt along with the model; another option you 'check off' during export. No value text for the imported model, no tangibility --

NO sounds: Go to basement of any existing level and locate vocal triggers for Anne and dinos. (Select 'C' button to show these items)

'Export' all of these as one 3ds.file (with geometry type and values text). Import into your level. These will add most sounds, such as terrain (anne, dino walking, runnin'), other dino and anne vocals.

Other sounds, such as those which objects make, are included in the values. text.

Example: string SoundMaterial = "Oil Barrel 1"

Last point: If building level in demo engine, replace all demo tpas with retail versions. The demo files are limited to just a few sounds and music clips.
transmission
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by transmission »

So things are now starting to work better in my "experiment." Although I have had to start over numerous times. Once again I have some questions.

1) I imported the t-rex from level three and for some reason it was looking for the raptor texture as well, but I didn't have a raptor .3do so it skipped it and now whenever I try to import a raptor, it will not have any texture. How can I fix this? The same thing happened when I imported the Albertasaurus, a Para showed up with no texture.

2)Can you please explain how I can import water into my level?

3)Lastly, can somebody tell me how I can change the texture of the ground from the sandy testscene texture to a green, jungle texture? I don't know how to do this.

Thanks!
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

I think that the water is just another object, which you can export and then import again... might be wrong though...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

1) too long a question, but here's the short answer. When exporting an object as a grf file, oft times it will also extract another model's data which is mixed in with the target data
block.

Solution: Import Dino, delete all other secondary, unwanted
models (such as your para or raptors) which imported along
with your desired dino.

2) Water, is a trigger (c button). It exports the same as any
other model. Export model, full name, texture data path and
geometry type with values.txt

3) You could try exporting your current terrain, choose a ter-
rain from another level and paste that bmp over your level's
bmp, then re-port. Possible problems: terrain textures don't
always port properly, so back up your files...
transmission
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by transmission »

I am trying to turn my scene into a night level. I got the sky in fine but I'm having trouble minimizing the lighting on the objects...I want it to be DARK. How can I achieve this? Also, is fog always going to be pretty bright?

The water for me didn't seem to work. How can I get a large piece of water...(like the one in the trescom level under the bridge)? Do I have to export that one? Can I make it cover more area somehow?

Thanks.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Your best bet is to simply load up the testscenenight level; match your existing trigger values to those, and import others that you're missing.

One in particular that you're looking for is 'ambient light' and 'fog start'. Those values and/or triggers should be present and copied for their values.

WAter: You can increase the size of any model simply by highlighting the object, then using the + or - signs on the numpad portion of keyboard.
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

uhm.. btw you can change the color of the fog to pretty much everything!