TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:37 am 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Hello, here a question that I could not find via the search. I really wondered, if it is possible to modify existing original levels of the game to use a different time of day opposed to their original design. In the original course of the game, the beach level starts in the morning, with really long shadows and a general really nice lighting.
As the level progresess, the sun and shadows accordingly progress. Later levels seem to take place during evening hours with the sky changing accordingly.
Is it (easily?) possible to modify certain level parameters to change the time of day of each level, or is that hard coded into the game engine? For example: playing The Town in the morning ours?
Sorry if this question is dumb, I have no idea until now how to create or modify level content. If it is possible, which tools can beused (TresED?)?

Have a nice day :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:39 pm 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

This is all possible to change with only TresEd.

The light is "controlled" by an object named DLight and works like a sun. I am not sure if this also control the position of the sun that appears ingame.
The fog can be changed in one of the triggers along with some other triggers that control how the colors appear, searching for "Fog" should give you the trigger.
The CE patch could also be used to create even better looking skies, but it is quite difficult but be sure to check out the document in CE for that. That way do not require any editing to a level :)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 pm 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Hello again. Thank you for your quick reply. I tried to change the object properties with TresED. Maybe I am too stupid, but I don´t think, that my changes had any effect. I did the following:

- Loaded some Level in TresED
- Searched for the object ("DLight_Ascent" for example)
- Edited properties

Hovever, the changes did not seem to habe any effect. Shouldn´t the shadows change according to my object changes?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:42 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

You need to rotate the object for the shadows to change...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Well, thank you, I will check this out, when I get back home. So, what influence has the position of the DLight object?
Another question: is the object always named 'DLight_*' with the levelname at the end? I did not find that object via the TresED search in the Beach level. Sorry for all these basic questions. But I just startet working with the level editor...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:25 pm 

nihilyst wrote:
Well, thank you, I will check this out, when I get back home. So, what influence has the position of the DLight object?
Another question: is the object always named 'DLight_*' with the levelname at the end? I did not find that object via the TresED search in the Beach level. Sorry for all these basic questions. But I just startet working with the level editor...

It will effect which way the shadows are pointed. I do not know how it effects the position of the sun tho, maybe machf knows more about that.

Not all levels have a DLight, otherwise it is named "DLight". For Beach I actually don't know if it only uses a default position. But you can import one into the level (name doesn't matter) and play around :)

No worries, feel free to ask any question and we will happily help. We are aware of the lack of tutorials so ask whenever you need help :)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

nihilyst wrote:

The position itself is irrelevant, it could be even under the terrain; the only thing that matters is the angle, as that's what defines the direction on which the shadows will fall. The "sun" is supposedly somewhere at an infinite distance and its rays all reach the Earth in parallel.
Quote:

No, the name of the directional light is mostly a convention, it doesn't have to follow it, just be an object defined as being of the class "CLightDirectional".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

So if you want to get a black sky... you can edit the Fog trigger to have a black color, and edit the sky height in the appropriate start trigger to be so high that it doesn't render. Alternately you can import the Sky object from "TestScnNight"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:10 pm 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Thank you for your patience :) . And I am still unable to change the appearence of the shadows and sun angle in any of these levels. What I did was:

- Load IngenLab level in TresEd
- Searched for the DLight_IngenLab Object.
- Opened dialog "Instance Properties" and changed values x,y,z for Rotation
- "OK"
--> Nothing changes. Is there anything else what I need to do?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Did you save and reload the level?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:14 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

It should have worked after you changed the orientation - are you sure you didn't just move it rather than rotate it? And that you rotated it enough to be noticable?

As for fog, you can actually do some really cool things with it if you're willing to fiddle around with the triggers enough. The specific triggers you're looking for are typically grouped together, usually ending in "_fog" or "_sky" or something like that. As tatu said, you can search "fog" and you should be able to find them. Check out the T-script reference as it tells you what everything means, and then try playing around with the settings there. :) You should be able to do anything you can think of. If you want Town at night, you can go into another level which takes place at night (TestSceneNight or East Dock, for instance) and just copy the values of its fog/ambient/sky triggers over and the orientation of the DLight.
With a CE sky, you can do even more creative stuff, you've just got to make sure you check the examples in the CE documentation.