Real-World Heightmap Tool

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Real-World Heightmap Tool

Post by TheIdiot »

I was hunting for an easier way to export real-world heightmaps the other day and I stumbled across this:

https://terrain.party/

While it appears to be intended for the game "Cities: Skylines", you can easily use this to get terrain for Trespasser levels. Thought I might share it with you all, especially since it seems Hawaii has a very detailed heightmap. :wink: When you export your heightmap, it'll send you a .zip file with several different maps - it's up to you to pick the one you think is the most detailed.
Of course, if you intend to use this, you'll have to fix the terrain before you start creating your level via 3DS Max and GUIApp so that it doesn't glitch while you're working on the level.

Here's an example of the valley on Kauai where the Jurassic Park waterfall (Manawaiopuna Falls) is located - the falls themselves are located in the centre of the image about 3/4ths of the way down on the right-hand side of the fork in the river:

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Real-World Heightmap Tool

Post by machf »

Nah, I tried Isla del Coco and the results are very poor. I'll stick to the old method, thank you.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

"Bah, humbug"

XD
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Nah, I tried Isla del Coco and the results are very poor. I'll stick to the old method, thank you.
Yeah, unfortunately it's only good for larger scale areas. It helps to scale down the area you have selected, as it picks up the details better.

What exactly is the "old method"? In the past I've used at least three different methods, all of which are overly complicated.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Downloading the data from here:

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files