Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Jeka_Jacka
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Location: Somewhere in the North West Coast of Tasmania, Australia

Re: Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Post by Jeka_Jacka »

Hey everyone, a noob here. I don't want to bore you with an intro right now (I haven't finished setting up my profile yet, seems to be a common trait with this game and finishing what's started haha). However I have been on the forums for an embarrassing amount of time these last few days, reading up on TresEd, the game itself, and the I finished reading the initial walkthrough or game design and have this erge to edit levels. My PC is new but crap, so some textures come up as blue in-game (mostly just hunting shotgun), texture detail and draw distance is also lacking, so it will be difficult for me to make use of these in level design. I have had experience with the engine, duplicating guns within a level works when I play them, however new objects like Dino's that I import, don't seem to work. Well didn't, haven't tried since reading that you can't duplicate Dino's, which was a problem with my minilvl map I was working on (I know the TScript stuff now). The only other blue textures I get are on the ASUM level, this happens in TresEd (haven't tried the game playing it yet), not sure as to why, just wanted to see a large, open world section (going from GTA Vice City, to GTA San Andreas).

A lot to read, I know. Just letting you guys know my background with experience in this game. I have explored many fan maps in TresEd without issue, I more explore and study them, than actually playing them. I can load and edit this map just fine so I would like to do some work on of. Nothing special planned at the moment, however I would be happy to just go around and plant trees and foliage, add some little things here and there (like JR with the pylons, etc) and just general polishing and sanding, this would be good experience for me with the engine too. If I can some stuff to work this time (ie, import Dino's and edit TScript so they teleport like the T-Rex in IJ based on a trigger), I will add what I can, if its unfinished or I'm having difficulty, I will add notes/comments detailing them.

Not sure if anyone is working actively on this right now, however I am happy with a 7day deadline from the time I post "I will work on this". (So 3pm Sun, to 3pm next Sun).

I understand when you need a break from this engine so coming back to fix a few things can be daunting and unattractive. I will most likely be stalking the forums for info for the foreseeable future so I'll be checking this regularly.

*insert witty/funny signature here*
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome Jacka to Jurassic Kingdom :batman:

Modding is one of The best parts of interacting with Trespasser. Other members are better at assisting graphical errors than myself. However do ask me & others any questions you have reguarding modding. I myself got started modifying & studying the Demo level in various small ways, and I suggest this route for other newcomers. 8)
Jeka_Jacka
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Jeka_Jacka »

Hey Drac,

Thanks for the welcome, I know this is unrelated to the topic thread but I need some help.

At the moment I'm trying to import sounds. I have the right .wavs (thanks to the pcm converter tool and a free audio converter), and the .cau conversions too. However the TPAReader doesn't allow me to change the CRC or $Name at all, if I enter the $Name or CRC of the file I wish to replace, in the Sound ID* , the TPAReader is adding the .cau replacement, but when I close and reload the TPAReader and .tpa , the TPAReader has given it an individual CRS and the $Name is "unknown" . The TPAReader can and does play the file I added, and the .tpa is larger in size.

I also have a minilv map I started ages ago, and I remember that the sound doesn't work. I walk or jump as Anne, however no "ANNE_FOOT" or "ANNE_JUMP" executes. I have the level and the .grf .scn .wtd .pid .swp of it in my TresCD folder ;) and the directory that Trespasser is installed in (like other fan levels).

Which leads me to my questions (haha).
1. Am I missing something with the TPAReader?
2. Is the Sound ID* the " string SoundMaterial = Sound ID*" ?
3.Does the minilv level automatically read the .tpa's in the Trespasser directory, or do I have to "tell" the level to do it?
4. Is it easier to just add a custom/new .tpa and use that in the level like Effects.tpa, so I have the Retail .tpa's plus my .tpa (ie; Effects.tpa , Menu.tpa , MyOwn.tpa), but have this in the TresCD folder or Trespasser directory, but change the " string SoundMaterial = $Name " from say $Name1 to $Name2, but $Name2 is in another .tpa, like a custom/new .tpa I have created?
5. Last one (for now), are objects who have a " string SoundMaterial = $Name " , are they set to use a $Name from a specific .tpa based on the objects " int AIType = # ", or can there be ZERO $Name 's that are identical in ANY of the included .tpa 's?

Some of these may be irrelevant if another is answered or explained. Basically, if I cannot 'replace' a .cau, I would like to add one and be able to change the TScript of an object(invisible or not) to the $Name of the new .cau I added. The .cau is being added to the .tpa , its just giving it its own CRC. Apologies for the strict capitalisation, I have become very anal about it through trying to edit and I want to be as clear as I can while explaining my predicament.

PS. I have also tried 'unpacking' the Menu.tpa, replacing the " Menu_001 " with the CORRECT .wav file format of the same name (" Menu_001 "), then adding them to the TPA-Batchmaker with the Menu.tpa, creating the batch file and executing it. It successfully adds the .wav, however it gives it another CRC and the $Name is "unknown".

Thank you
"You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you wanna sell it."

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Jeka_Jacka wrote:but when I close and reload the TPAReader and .tpa , the TPAReader has given it an individual CRS and the $Name is "unknown" .
Any sound name which isn't included in the listing accompanying the program will be listed as "unknown", as the .tpa file only stores the CRC values, not the sound names themselves.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Jeka_Jacka
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Jeka_Jacka »

machf wrote:
Jeka_Jacka wrote:but when I close and reload the TPAReader and .tpa , the TPAReader has given it an individual CRS and the $Name is "unknown" .
Any sound name which isn't included in the listing accompanying the program will be listed as "unknown", as the .tpa file only stores the CRC values, not the sound names themselves.
Thanks machf, so the $Name will be what ever I entered in the ' Sound ID ', but TPAReader just won't be able to display it and displays " unknown " by default?
"You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you wanna sell it."

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Jacka - I am not the best person to ask for advice in Trespasser sound modding. Just remember that levels themselves do not store sound - there are a couple file structures which handle that.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Hey Jeka_Jacka, welcome to TresCom!
3.Does the minilv level automatically read the .tpa's in the Trespasser directory, or do I have to "tell" the level to do it?
Objects and triggers with the correct soundname will play in the game. As for the Anne sound, you will need to find her vocal cubes in another level (just search for "vocal" and you will find them, along with the dinosaur ones).
4. Is it easier to just add a custom/new .tpa and use that in the level like Effects.tpa, so I have the Retail .tpa's plus my .tpa (ie; Effects.tpa , Menu.tpa , MyOwn.tpa), but have this in the TresCD folder or Trespasser directory, but change the " string SoundMaterial = $Name " from say $Name1 to $Name2, but $Name2 is in another .tpa, like a custom/new .tpa I have created?
You can't use custom TPA files without the use of the ATX or CE patch. See their readme how to use custom TPA's. Both can use external TPA's along with the retail ones.
5. Last one (for now), are objects who have a " string SoundMaterial = $Name " , are they set to use a $Name from a specific .tpa based on the objects " int AIType = # ", or can there be ZERO $Name 's that are identical in ANY of the included .tpa 's?
Soundnames can be identical. Which TPA it uses to get the sound depends on which Trigger action you use. Voiceover action will use those from Steam.TPA. Ambient from Ambient.TPA etc.
See this: http://www.trescom.org/files/docs/tscript.html#Actions
Some of these may be irrelevant if another is answered or explained. Basically, if I cannot 'replace' a .cau, I would like to add one and be able to change the TScript of an object(invisible or not) to the $Name of the new .cau I added. The .cau is being added to the .tpa , its just giving it its own CRC. Apologies for the strict capitalisation, I have become very anal about it through trying to edit and I want to be as clear as I can while explaining my predicament.
See above about custom TPA's. No need to replace ones. Make your own TPA with the ones you want (and with soundname), edit the level to use that one instead.
Trespasser doesn't work like other games where you can just replace a sound with another sound. Trespasser goes by a soundname and not by the filename.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Another note - see Trespasser Twilight in my sig; the Shell Generator folder has a folder containing various vocal cube TPM import-ready files. "Tres - Player" (?) is the one to import for jumping and pain sounds.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Jeka_Jacka wrote:
machf wrote:
Thanks machf, so the $Name will be what ever I entered in the ' Sound ID ', but TPAReader just won't be able to display it and displays " unknown " by default?
Yes, you can manually edit the text file (SndIds.dat) to add the new strings you've used, if you want...

Eventually, after I manage to find the names of the remaining unknown SoundIDs in the original .TPA files, I'll be able to re-make the .EEL files used by EffectsEditor for those files, and people will be able to use EffectsEditor to further edit them... and TPAreader will get an additional option to work either with those same .EEL files or some similar format to keep track of the SoundIDs.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Jeka_Jacka
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Level Editing Help

Post by Jeka_Jacka »

Thank you everyone!

I got the sound to work on the beach level by adding a custom .cau, saving the " Sound ID* " I have given it in a .txt so I can copy paste it into the TScript of the object I am giving it to, just gotta make sure the ActionType is right. I feel quite happy with this now as it was the hardest thing for me to do when I first started modding the game a few years ago. I also got my test level to work thanks to Drac's Trespasser Twilight mod/files and his tutorial (thanks by the way).

My only question left is; Do I need to 'import' something for the Stream.tpa and Ambient.tpa to use them in the level, like 'vocals' for Anne and dinos?

The other thing I wish to figure out and do is teleporting (this will be relevant to the thread in a moment). I have the .tpm's of Industrial Jungle in regards to the Trex, the Raptor its anchored to, the anchor the Raptor is anchored to, the teleport enterance cube, the trigger for the teleport (that's near the Para), the NoStayNear for the Trex (in case I wish to pin it in like Devs did in-game), and the blue-ish/grey Trex model that the Trex teleports to.

I would like to see this work with the 20th Anniversary level in the compound and the iron railing/crate puzzle. My idea is; having a small trigger at the top of the railing or roof, which teleports a Trex into the compound. It should be out of reach of the player, but it adds a little more danger. You could close the gates which are open, and add the Trex NoStayNear to the gate. The Trex would also be anchored to an object inside the compound area to ensure it stays in there, and also add another teleport enterance near the anchor and place another trigger for it at say, the top of the mountain in this 20th Anniversary level.

My questions with that is;
1. Can the Trex be, say, in the basement level, and the first teleport block is on or close to the Trex, and then when the Player Activates the Trigger, the Trex teleports in, and becomes float activated/float awake (awoken)?

2. If you place the Trex spawn, then place its anchor so it walks towards it, and place a teleport enterance within the pathway of the Trex-to-Anchor, and the Trigger has been activated, will it teleport to the second(2nd) teleport destination? (dumb I know, just want to clarify)

3. Also what if the second (2nd) Trigger is activated before the first (1st), does the teleport enterance stay activated until the Trex walks through it? (Think of this as walking through a level, and suddenly a Trex enters. It has its own path and does not pay attention to you. Once it passes and is just out of sight, you follow, only to see that it has completely disappeared. Where is it? Will it 'jump out' by a small Trigger you just activated? ;) ).

4. Last one, how close does the Trex need to be to the teleport enterance block for it to work/activate? (Like Anne at every level start).

Thanks again for all the help peeps!

P.S. If you can get the Trex to teleport a second time, can you assign that second(2nd) teleport enterance to the first(1st) teleport destination? So its like the Portal Gun from the game "Portal"? So the Trex kind of keeps trying to get to its Anchor, only to be REPEATELY teleported back to the first(1st) teleport destination. Oh, and would you need to change TScript for multiple teleports, so like " int FireCount = 1 " to " int FireCount = 999 " ?

P.P.S. Can a trigger have 2 ActionTypes? Ie; a teleport ActionType and a sound ActionType?

Thanks again for all the support

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Loooots of questions there. I'll let other members answer fine points. However I have a broader reply to say simply, try doing some of these set-ups in a modded demo level, discover through trial and error and use the T-Script reference (linked in my sig).

machf, how much farther can you really get in discovering sound names? I feel like soon it will become a better idea to simply include CRC-working odd string names for all non-discovered ones, so that modders will be able to use the Effects Editor. I bet TI would love to create a slew of new sound materials for his projects.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Jeka_Jacka
That's an awful lot of questions! It does definitely sound like you're making a lot of progress quickly, so that's great to hear. :)
My only question left is; Do I need to 'import' something for the Stream.tpa and Ambient.tpa to use them in the level, like 'vocals' for Anne and dinos?
Unfortuantely you do. Trespasser can't read files straight from its directory, they MUST be in the .tpa files. Vocals for Anne and the dinosaurs should be in Effects.tpa.
I would like to see this work with the 20th Anniversary level in the compound and the iron railing/crate puzzle. My idea is; having a small trigger at the top of the railing or roof, which teleports a Trex into the compound. It should be out of reach of the player, but it adds a little more danger. You could close the gates which are open, and add the Trex NoStayNear to the gate. The Trex would also be anchored to an object inside the compound area to ensure it stays in there, and also add another teleport enterance near the anchor and place another trigger for it at say, the top of the mountain in this 20th Anniversary level.
An alternate solution to all of the anchoring you're describing would be to put AI boxes in the places you don't want the Rex to go, since as far as I know there can only be 1 NoStayNear object per T-script. The StayNear anchor should work well enough on it's own though.
1. Can the Trex be, say, in the basement level, and the first teleport block is on or close to the Trex, and then when the Player Activates the Trigger, the Trex teleports in, and becomes float activated/float awake (awoken)?
Yes. CAnimals will always wake up when entering the WakeUp distance, unless there are too many of them in one area (7+ without changing and .ini settings).
2. If you place the Trex spawn, then place its anchor so it walks towards it, and place a teleport enterance within the pathway of the Trex-to-Anchor, and the Trigger has been activated, will it teleport to the second(2nd) teleport destination? (dumb I know, just want to clarify)
Sure will. :)
3. Also what if the second (2nd) Trigger is activated before the first (1st), does the teleport enterance stay activated until the Trex walks through it? (Think of this as walking through a level, and suddenly a Trex enters. It has its own path and does not pay attention to you. Once it passes and is just out of sight, you follow, only to see that it has completely disappeared. Where is it? Will it 'jump out' by a small Trigger you just activated? ;) ).
I think that's all doable. You can control how many times a trigger activates by changing its FireCount; for instance, a FireCount of 1 will only allow it to fire once. FireCount 0 should make it fire infinitely. There is also an ATX ActionType which allows you to change a trigger's FireCount, which can come in handy when making very complex triggers.
You could accomplish what you want to do in this example:
1. Player enters a PlayerEnter trigger, teleporting a T-rex to TeleRexRunby00-00. The T-rex is anchored to AnchorRexRunby00-00 in its T-script.
2. The T-rex goes from its spawn point to its Anchor. Once it goes out of sight, it enters a CreatureEnter trigger which teleports it out of the play area.
3. Player enters a second PlayerEnter trigger somewhere else, which causes the Rex to both teleport to a new location, TeleRexAttack00-00, and change its StayNear target to AnchorRexAttack00-00. You can have multiple ActionTypes in a single trigger.
P.S. If you can get the Trex to teleport a second time, can you assign that second(2nd) teleport enterance to the first(1st) teleport destination? So its like the Portal Gun from the game "Portal"? So the Trex kind of keeps trying to get to its Anchor, only to be REPEATELY teleported back to the first(1st) teleport destination. Oh, and would you need to change TScript for multiple teleports, so like " int FireCount = 1 " to " int FireCount = 999 " ?
You can, yes, by using an ActionType to change his StayNear target. If he keeps running into this trigger on his way from the 2nd teleport and it has FireCount 0, he will keep teleporting back when he enters the trigger.
P.P.S. Can a trigger have 2 ActionTypes? Ie; a teleport ActionType and a sound ActionType?
Yeah, there are a few examples of how to do this in the retail game, but you're better off checking out some triggers in fan levels as we tend to use triggers with multiple ActionTypes much more frequently in custom levels.
machf, how much farther can you really get in discovering sound names? I feel like soon it will become a better idea to simply include CRC-working odd string names for all non-discovered ones, so that modders will be able to use the Effects Editor. I bet TI would love to create a slew of new sound materials for his projects.
I've already managed to get new SoundMaterials working in my testing using EffectsEditor, but haven't used them extensively as it seems you would need to re-do all of the SoundMaterials from scratch in order to make sure they all have sounds for each other.
Jeka_Jacka
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Jeka_Jacka »

Thanks for the responses everyone, it was nice to wake up to them (haha) and thanks for the help, I'm happy to know that in theory, the teleporting should work. I forgot to mention I am using the ATX patch, I tried to use Trespasser CE, however it doesn't seem to load, and becomes a little unresponsive when I try to close it.
TheIdiot wrote:
Jeka_Jacka
That's an awful lot of questions! It does definitely sound like you're making a lot of progress quickly, so that's great to hear. :)
Unfortuantely you do. Trespasser can't read files straight from its directory, they MUST be in the .tpa files. Vocals for Anne and the dinosaurs should be in Effects.tpa.
I'm not quite sure if I worded my question right. So what you mean is, there are .tpm's (like vocals for Anne and dinos) specific to the Stream.tpa and Ambient.tpa, that I would need to 'Import' to the level for the Triggers to be able to play the $Name I have given them? Like the 'vocals' are like the middle man between the object/trigger, and the .tpa that stores that sound? (If I add an Ambient.tpa trigger in a custom level; the level has Anne, Annes vocals, and the Trigger for the Ambient.tpa, and nothing else. The level will only play Anne's vocals and not the Sound I have given the Trigger?) I am only making sure as the 'vocals' were something I was unaware of at the time.
Yes. CAnimals will always wake up when entering the WakeUp distance, unless there are too many of them in one area (7+ without changing and .ini settings).
Sure will. :)
I think that's all doable. You can control how many times a trigger activates by changing its FireCount; for instance, a FireCount of 1 will only allow it to fire once. FireCount 0 should make it fire infinitely. There is also an ATX ActionType which allows you to change a trigger's FireCount, which can come in handy when making very complex triggers.
You could accomplish what you want to do in this example:
1. Player enters a PlayerEnter trigger, teleporting a T-rex to TeleRexRunby00-00. The T-rex is anchored to AnchorRexRunby00-00 in its T-script.
2. The T-rex goes from its spawn point to its Anchor. Once it goes out of sight, it enters a CreatureEnter trigger which teleports it out of the play area.
3. Player enters a second PlayerEnter trigger somewhere else, which causes the Rex to both teleport to a new location, TeleRexAttack00-00, and change its StayNear target to AnchorRexAttack00-00. You can have multiple ActionTypes in a single trigger.
So basically, the first(1st) Trigger, will teleport the Trex in, and it will go to it's AnchorOne (the one I gave it in its TScript), then when it hits the next teleport enterance (and its Triggered), I can make that Trigger teleport the Trex to the second(2nd) teleport destination AND 'tell' the second(2nd) Trigger to CHANGE the Anchor of the Trex, to AnchorTwo? (I will need to read a lot of the ActionType info to make sure the numbers add up)
You can, yes, by using an ActionType to change his StayNear target. If he keeps running into this trigger on his way from the 2nd teleport and it has FireCount 0, he will keep teleporting back when he enters the trigger.
So 0 = infinity?? (haha nice to understand how the TScript works, I didn't think it could handle infinity)
Yeah, there are a few examples of how to do this in the retail game, but you're better off checking out some triggers in fan levels as we tend to use triggers with multiple ActionTypes much more frequently in custom levels.
Thank you! I will probably spend more time studying them today than getting this teleport to work. The teleport should be easy in a custom level with nothing really in it. Just Anne, an the Triggers and Objects assocciated with the Trex and Teleport. This is also the first time I have entered 'quotes' in manually so if they don't work, I apologise.

Just want to say thanks to "Drac" for all the organised resources (I was half looking forward to resource gathering while exploring haha), and thanks to machf for all the sound info. The sound is not actually that hard now, just takes 4-5 steps to do. Thanks to "tatu" for explaining the importance of 'vocals' (haha), and a big thank you to TheIdiot for all the clarifying with the TScript stuff!

Just a few more questions;
1. Can a Trigger, be Anchored/Fixed to an object like a dino? (Lets say to anchor a sound trigger to a Raptor like a 'parent' model, so when the play enters/triggers that Trigger, the sound will play?) Basically a moving Trigger.
2. If the above works, can a Trigger change the Objects class? (like 'CAnimal' changes to 'Player'/'CPlayer').

In theory, if they work, you could Anchor a Trigger to a stick or import an object like a steak, and anchor it to that. But then if you throw/place the object near the Raptor, the Trigger is coded to change that Raptor from 'CAnimal' to a 'Player'/'CPlayer'. Doing this will make the Raptor NOT attack the player, but instead follow them and attack other dinos ('CAnimal')? I know that dinos have " int Team 1 " and " int Team 12 ". But I'm not sure how well that effects the dinos and the relationship to Anne ('Player'/CPlayer') as she is a different class, and will not have this " int Team 1/2/3 " value in the TScript.

I hope these questions and ideas may give some inspiration to the 20th Anniversary Level. I read the inital walkthrough of the game and it was funny to see what they actually did, and was was left out.

Also, at the end of all this, I really hope to have a level to share with you all. It may actually be 2 levels. 1 to test and execute ideas/showcase the extent of modding (a modded .tpa will be included) and a proper Trespasser level (although this may be a small 'demo' like level and may not contain a modded .tpa, unless I want Michael Jacksons Thriller to play while a Trex chases you hahahaha)

Thanks again to everyone! If you guys didnt reply the way you have, I would have given up on modding this game again, and yes TI, I too am surprised at how much I am learning, I suppose taking my time and thinking ahead, helps when it comes to a level design. I want to know that I can do what I want to do within a level before I spend hours, days, weeks, making it, only to find out that 1 or 2 of the important things, are not possible to do.

P.S. With the WakeDistance, if I were to add 5 stegs, 5 paras, and 5 brach's to the lagoon in the 20th Anniversary Level, without changing a the .ini , will the game crash or will the 6 or 7 Dino's closest to the player be the only ones who are active? Also what would I need to change in the .ini for the game to handle the for mentioned Dino's (5steg, 5para, 5brach)?

P.P.S The 'cloak' cheat stops Dino's from seeing the player, however they react to sound. Not sure if they react to Anne's footsteps or jump sound, but definitely react to gun sounds. I fired a gun near a Trex and it approached where I was standing. It just stood near where I was with its mouth open and head moving as if it were 'searching' for me. To implement this in a level, would I change the TScript of the Trex, like " bool ActApproach = false "? I don't see this in the TScript of the Trex from Industrial Jungle, however I don't believe it is meant to. It does have " bool ActEat = true " and the others included

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Jeka_Jacka wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
Jeka_Jacka
I'm not quite sure if I worded my question right. So what you mean is, there are .tpm's (like vocals for Anne and dinos) specific to the Stream.tpa and Ambient.tpa, that I would need to 'Import' to the level for the Triggers to be able to play the $Name I have given them? Like the 'vocals' are like the middle man between the object/trigger, and the .tpa that stores that sound? (If I add an Ambient.tpa trigger in a custom level; the level has Anne, Annes vocals, and the Trigger for the Ambient.tpa, and nothing else. The level will only play Anne's vocals and not the Sound I have given the Trigger?) I am only making sure as the 'vocals' were something I was unaware of at the time.
[/quote]
The "middle man" is a good analogy, but no, it's not quite like that. You see, the vocals aren't played by triggers - they are triggered by dinosaur activities or player actions instead. That's why they have to be stored in the vocal cubes, just like playback ActionTypes need to have the sound IDs listed in their triggers.

If you look carefully at the activities' listing in the Trespasser Script Reference, you'll notice that some of them include references to some noises in their descrpition. That's what the vocal cubes are for: the corresponding sounds are chosen from the various sounds listed in each of them. I made a list of which cubes are asociated with which activities, let me see if I can find it...

EDIT: never mind, I hadn't made a list, I only listed which activty used whic vocal cube in the Reference... here's a quick (partial) list:

bool ActOuch false Not implemented? Make a sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 0".
bool ActHelp false Not implemented? Make a sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 1".
bool ActHowl false Not implemented? Make a sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 2".
bool ActSnarl false Make a sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 3".
bool ActStalk false Not implemented? Follow target and make stalking sounds. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 4". Move body closer to the target stealthily. Move slow, crouch a bit.
bool ActCroon false Make a sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 5"?
bool ActDie false Not implemented? Make a sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 6".
bool ActSniffTarget false Move head to target slowly, close mouth, and make a sniffing sound. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 12".
bool ActSniff false Lift head into the air. Play a sniff sound and jerk head back/up a tiny bit. Repeat. Use vocal cube with "int Vocal = 12".

I'll try to add the rest later...
Jeka_Jacka
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Jeka_Jacka »

Thanks machf! I'll read through the TScript Reference. Do I need to change the TScript $Name/Sound ID in BOTH the object/player/dino and the vocal it is associated with? The answer is probably yes, I just want to make sure I don't miss a small detail here or there and the level becomes broken or "Retailed" haha

So hypothetically (for Anne) I would go from (" bool ActJump = true " " int Vocal = 1 " " string SoundMaterial = "AnneJump" ") and change this to (" bool ActJump = true " " int Vocal = 1 " " string SoundMaterial = "NewJump" "), and providing that "AnneJump" and "NewJump" are in the SAME .tpa , this should work?