Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:...Just went through the current version. Mountain is nice. That mansion though... DAMN! Really great new puzzle. And the view is freakin nuts'
Well, it's not much of a puzzle yet. I do want to figure out something different for the mansion puzzle though, rather than just getting to the second floor like usual...

Hmm. Maybe you have to get the water flowing from the power plant down the canal again, which leads to a power station or dam or something which you THEN have to activate in order to get power working in the rest of the level, which would allow you to open the power plant gates normally as well as get into the mansion? That's a potential idea for the puzzle. I'd of course be open to creating alternate solutions to everything as well. We already have the swampy route into the power plant around the back, so that would allow players into the power plant from the rear if the gates were locked at first, and from the front you would have had to go around quite a bit of land to get there, so taking the stairs would still be a valid option.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

You know what'd be cool in anotehr mod? Drain a swamp with some sort of dam system, to get an obj needed from the bottom of it...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:You know what'd be cool in anotehr mod? Drain a swamp with some sort of dam system, to get an obj needed from the bottom of it...
That could in this level as well if we really wanted, since I did put a big lake in the middle with the intention to eventually do something neat with it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hum. Well it reminds me of the pond in front of the VC. I was thinking an additional reference to that could be made. Huh the hunters camp would be roughly where the emergency bunker exit was.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

'Eyo so Tres20 is due to be released sometime in September, preferrably on the actual release day of Trespasser (anyone know which day that is?..). Did a little bit of foliage, terrain, and trnobj work to kickstart things -

https://app.box.com/s/745wi0hisvol099h2qyijqlasx2p6j34
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

October 28th.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Aha, so there's time, good to know.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Some more nice work here. I'll continue editing the level from there.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gimx1odhz ... y.zip/file

And there we go.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Some more nice work here. I'll continue editing the level from there.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gimx1odhz ... y.zip/file

And there we go.
TresGuy, I hadn't realized you'd updated the post!

Nice work, everyone. The lake is lookin' mighty fine. If we can make at least one update per person per week, we can get this done in time.

Anyway, I'm going to go at it next. As usual, I'll post again when I'm finished.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sweet. As a note, the area of terrain opened up for new development looks nice but may be increasing the size of the level too much. Of course if anyone wants to step up to the plate and take care of the extra work it implies, that's awesome...

Question - where did the geo plant passcode clipboard run off to?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alright, here she blows. Some big additions, some small...added a mine of some sort (was thinking maybe a fossil excavation?), some buildings, a fancy tunnel, the beginnings of another Isla Nublar reference because Nublar ist güt...just see for yourself:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2v33venlm ... t.zip/file
Sweet. As a note, the area of terrain opened up for new development looks nice but may be increasing the size of the level too much. Of course if anyone wants to step up to the plate and take care of the extra work it implies, that's awesome...
I'm thinking we cut that area in half and we should be good to go. I still want to add a beach to that area of the level, so that will take up a fair bit of space if we go through with it. Also, what about having a system of electrified fences and dinosaur paddocks in the center of the level, between where I just added the "T-rex paddock road" at the end of the tunnel and the big, empty gap we have between the mountains at the mansion road?

Also, we should start brainstorming the general series of events required to complete the level. We've got all these neat locations but no real gameplay or challenge yet! Obviously the main objective should probably be getting to the top of that mountain and boarding a helicopter, but what do we need to do to get there? An idea of the level outline:
Spoiler: show
1. Find a passcode to get into the Geo Plant or sneak in back way. Multiple clipboards could exist in different places.
2. Inside Geo Plant, turn on power to the facilities.
3. Open canal floodgate to lower water level in canal. Get key to Mansion from canal.
4. Use radio in Mansion to call helicopter.
5. Reach mountaintop helipad.
6. Escape.
Or, if we include the beach and perhaps a boat:
1. Make it to beach boat house to find boat on stuck lift and empty gas can.
2. Take gas can to source of gas (maybe a boat on the island in the lake, or a truck connected to a pump?) to refill it.
3. Find a passcode to get into the Geo Plant or sneak in back way. Multiple clipboards could exist in different places.
4. Inside Geo Plant, turn on power to the facilities.
5. Return to boat house with gas. Refuel boat and use lift (which requires power) to get it into water.
6. Escape.
Potential places for Geo Plant password:
-Elevated tent at mine.
-Plateau camp.
-Somewhere in the paddock system I suggested above.
It's probably best not to make anything too complicated, and ensure that the player knows what they need to do at all times so they don't get lost or bored. Throw in an encounter with a big boss dinosaur and we're set! Was thinking maybe implementing Jeka_Jacka's plan to have the T-rex in the Geo Plant since both of the paths I plotted would require you to go there.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I like the plot ideas, really. 8) A beach sounds like a nice final location addition. I'd say, be ready to be the primary enactor of the larger plot-needed additions.
Looking at your work, really nice. Love the fossil digsite area, I def. support that.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I like the plot ideas, really. 8) A beach sounds like a nice final location addition. I'd say, be ready to be the primary enactor of the larger plot-needed additions.
I have no problem wiith doing the scripting and the actual placement of plot-related stuff. The main concern right now is getting the level itself done, and then we can tweak anything we need for the plot afterward.
Additionally, along with this comes the final placement of weapons and enemies. It would probably be wise to complete everything else before we scatter these things around in order to balance the level out appropriately. Currently dinosaurs and weapons are sort of placed willy-nilly - I'm thinking we delete them all for now and then place them when the level itself is finished and we know where everything is. Thoughts?

And thoughts on what other dinosaurs should be in the level, and where? I'm still in favour of replacing the low-poly Raptors with the better ones we have so they don't seem out-of-place next to the higher-poly JPOG ones (such as the kentro).
My suggestions:
- A couple different shades of Raptor around different parts of the level for variety's sake. Maybe even just use the classic tribes of Raptor (A, B, C)?
- Kentrosaurs or other armoured herbivores (Triceratops? Styracosaurus? Ankylosaurus?) in strategic places, such as crossroads, where Raptors can be lured toward them in order to create some dino-on-dino fighting.
- Green tyrannosaurus (like the alpha one) at the Geo plant.
- Baryonyx or suchomimus in the lake? Or even spinosaurus (might be a bit excessive/too big)?
- Small herbivores, like dryosaurus, gallimimus, or even some hadrosaurs in the open or empty areas for eyecandy purposes.
- Small carnivores around or in the Mansion, maybe compies? Have to be small enough to maneuver around if they're going inside of the house.
- Brachiosaurus on the beach. Would look great with their long necks coming out of the water in the distance against the sunset sky.
- If we go with the paddock system, maybe have some medium-sized carnivores in there as well? Ceratosaurus? Albertosaurus? Allosaurus?
Looking at your work, really nice. Love the fossil digsite area, I def. support that.
Feel free to finish it off, I didn't actually add in any bones or tools or anything like that yet. :) Same goes for the other stuff I added, it all needs detailing.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh. Wouldn't mind doing the bones and tools.

I say,, don't delete any of the gun or dino placement, AND don't add any for now. We can take care of that all at once when the juncture arrives, and try to preserve the work that was already done.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Nice work TI! I'm going to continue some work on this.