Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Tres 20th Anniv Cmnty Level

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Good thing I noticed some floating trees around the level then, because I fixed them in this version :lol: :lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s15e1drx6 ... y.zip/file
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice rock climb area, tho there's still that unclimbable ridge if you take that path to the geo plant. It's meant to be traversable so you can enter the geo plant via crate stacking next to the hole in the wall.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote::yum:

TI what do you mean by optimized terrain? Terrain with fewer quads ought to be avoided, to not run into blurry terrain textures.
That's exactly what I mean, fewer quads. The game engine doesn't like too many quads, in fact it can cause crashes. On the other hand, you want to make sure there are enough quads to avoid blurry textures. Quads should be as optimized as possible in flat areas though in order to save FPS and avoid jagged terrain without making them too large - in general, there seems to be one specific size which is the perfect balance between the two, which is generally the size I use for flat terrain in the playable area.

What you don't want is this:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Too many tiny quads here which can be easily merged into a few larger ones without loss of detail.

Or this:
Click on Image
Too few quads resulting in blurry textures.

This is an example of optimized terrain:
Click on Image
The high-poly clusters exist soley to create the edges of slopes or other rough terrain, while the rest of the area is compressed into the consistent larger quads (but not too large). This is the maximum size of quads that provide a good level of detail before the terrain starts getting blurry.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I might suggest that you guys do double check foliage you place in the level. Only using the function to place them on the terrain can still make them float as your terrain is quite detailed that I doubt TresEd render it properly, which will make foliage foliage float in some areas. Specially on hills, even small slides. And specially trees are easy to spot floating (unless you guys add the planted tree script to all trees to cheat) 8)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I won't suggest, I'll *demand* that you use GUIapp to properly fix the terrain edited in TresEd before correcting any objects' positions. I'm sick and tired of the "sinking terrain" that TresEd's bugs generate.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm not aware of Tres having that issue if the terrain is a modified retail file...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I'm not aware of Tres having that issue if the terrain is a modified retail file...
I thought the error only occured if you imported a terrain via TresEd's .BMP import function?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

So it looks like the Tres Anniversary is barely four weeks away, and the level doesn't seem as if it's going to be completed on schedule unless we work almost constantly on this level until then. At the rate we've been working at, the level will probably be completely finished by about December, and the anniversary is on the 28th of October. :sick:

I'm wondering whether we should temporarily block off the second half of the level for now and just get this thing finished, using the mountaintop as the rescue point, and release the level as version 1.0 (a complete version) when the time comes. Afterward, we can continue to update the level as we go until it's totally finished and release the final version with the second half of the level and the boat rescue as v2.0. We won't be under a time crunch so we can take time to perfect everything then.

Does anyone else want to put in their two cents on this matter? I'd personally rather see us put in the work to make what we have right now good rather than overextend ourselves and release a messy level on the anniversary.

Also, do we have a complete list of credits for this level yet? I know it's Draco, TresGuy and I, plus that contribution from Rebel - am I missing any names?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, I think you have the right idea here. I've also been thinking we should chop out the extended area. Makes for a tighter gameplay level anyway.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hey, cut down the level and you will have some areas to expand it on for the 21st anniversary ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hah I guess we could do that one.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

I agree, I think we've given ourselves too much to work with with this level. I say we block off the second half of the map for now. So anything after the tunnel, through the paddock, and past the Geo Plant is rendered technically unplayable for now.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alrighty, then. I'll quickly do an update and block off those passages in a tasteful manner. :)

EDIT: Done. I raised the ridge by the swamp, made sure the paddock gate was locked, and collapsed the tunnel. Also went ahead and added some new musical cues and a welcoming start trigger!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nj3jyl5an ... I.zip/file

Also - would anyone who knows what they're doing with the TC~Isle pteranodons like to add a couple of them circling the top of the mountain? I think that'd look pretty cool. 8)

In the future, I'm going to add in the T-rex attack at the Geo Plant. Once you're over the wall and following the canal, the Rex will burst through the gates and come chasing after you!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds good. For the ptero - would anyone mind horribly if I used the JPDS TLW-style Pteranodon? I feel it suits this mod better as TLW film is closer to classic Tres, so.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

tatu wrote:Hey, cut down the level and you will have some areas to expand it on for the 21st anniversary ;)
Now that would be interesting, using the same level and updating it with new features and tricks. Anyone else agree?