SoKoTres

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

SoKoTres

Post by machf »

So, as you may be aware of, Drac's recently released crate-themed level inspired me to implement SoKoBan inside the Trespasser engine. You can find it in the Levels section of the downloads at TresCom, aptly named "SoKoTres" (although I'm considering the possibility of renaming it to "SoKoAnne" to sound closer to the original "SoKoBan").

The version I've currently uploaded is 007 (with 000 being my first implementation). Although after already uploading it, I realized I forgot to place special floor tiles to mark the places where the crates should be moved to (it's at the end of the room that is to the right from your starting position, FYI). I intend to correct that for the next release.

The plan is to eventually implement all of the levels from the original SoKoBan (which were 20). Or maybe the ones from SoKoBan 2 (which were increased to 50).

So, go download it, have fun, and keep an eye on this topic for any further updates!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: SoKoTres

Post by Draconisaurus »

I did it! Nice lev.. I'm still unsure how Tres physics function so well with this kind of thing. I'd expect them to bump all over the place and get stuck. And, am desirous of a map with a bit more trickiness to it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just completed it now. I did find that the box physics got a bit sticky in places, though, but otherwise it worked fine. The hardest part of it is really trying to figure out which way to push the boxes since you don't have an overview of the level...maybe having an overhead map of the level on a wall would remedy this (or, even better, a proper working map like we used to have in ATX using the CE scripting).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I vote against the map. Element of searching the maze for box paths in 1st person.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I vote against the map. Element of searching the maze for box paths in 1st person.
I think it depends on what machf is going for with this level - a recreation of the original game, or a new game based on the original. In the original, you had a top-down view, so there was no element of searching, and therefore in that case I would say to go with the map to keep the gameplay closer to the original. You still would, after all, have to figure out how to solve the puzzle itself.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No map. Being in first person and unable to see the whole layout adds challenge to the gameplay. Apparently I forgot to mention it earlier, though I intented to...

It also compensates for the fact that you are able to "cheat" pulling (not just pushing) the crates, or pushing them only halfway through...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Do subsequent levels of the original game add any additional gameplay elements?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just different mazes, more crates...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

It would be nice to include a readme of what you are suppose to do, as I have no clue unless I would look up the original thing.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That will come in a later version...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tatu - the big empty room on the right, when you start, is supposed to be filled with all the crates in the level, shoved back as far as they'll go.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Well, I figured that much. Or rather, I figured the boxes are suppose to go somewhere. Still, some simple dump readme or at least some info on the download description would be nice :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I *did* mention it in the description on the download section...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, so I finished designing a trigger setup that will allow me to implement the later SoKoBan levels which have non-rectangular placing arrangements for the crates. Unfortunately, it requires 6 trigger for each placement spot, plus one trigger to check them all. Now I have to remove the messages I was using to check if the triggers were working fine, and I'll upload another public version.

Keep in mind that these releases are still betas... or maybe even alphas.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »