Happy New Year, here's a gift

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Happy New Year, here's a gift

Post by machf »

So, I decided to upload one of my very, very old test levels before the year ends (around here, anyway). Look for it in the downloads section. Have fun!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Happy New Year, here's a gift

Post by Draconisaurus »

So!
Spoiler: show
I enter the machflev to find myself staring down a RR container. Very soon a cerato is poking his head through. I hope to get out around him but it's too late, he's blocking the exit and closing in. I turn around to find a blue white sports car. Wondering what machfnations might be at work, I go to see if it's drivable. Sure enough, I can hold the handle and walk forward with it. I try pushing the cerato out of the way. Sort of works. Before long an OG spino shows up to join the party. I get behind the car to see if I can push it. Slowly but surely I budge forward and get half the car sticking out. By this point the cerato is gone and the spino is munching on an unidentifable AI corpse. Closer inspection upon escaping reveals it to be the fabled Tres rhino, not seen before ingame. I wheel around and discover some remnants of machf's armory lying about. Sadly my first picks are all intangible, but I pick up some sort of short machine gun thingy and proceed. Around the corner is a backpack, which I promptly pack on my back. Moving about, I notice a slim silver car... Is it? YES! A delorian. What every trespasser needs. IIRC it was intangible. I then notice a tank with an always-face turret staring at me from atop the RR container... Moving around to another zone of testscene, I find an intangible rhino AND elephant. Has the latter been rigged elsewhere? Walking up a schoolbus, I find the sliding doors featured in some post years ago when Sam was doing the WTC... Entering fly mode, I discover my backpack is on backwards. Across the map, sure enough there IS a new mystery creature - HE'S GONNA KILL THE GOAT? Nah out of ammo. I spot a dolphin as well... apparently not rigged but in a strange torture rig where it can dip into the water but not swim. And that's all she wrote!
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Actually,
both cars are drivable
Did you try
"using" them
?

Regarding
the bus: you can climb on top of it to reach the top of the surrounding area

And those aren't
sliding doors, but a rotating door; I uploaded a quick video of them
a few months ago.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Didn't realize

No...

Did so

That's what i meant.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alright, gave this a quick look, think I did most there was to do. There's some really neat stuff in here, I'm glad you decided to release it! I find it hard to do a competent full review of a test level (Besides, Draco already covered it pretty well!), so I'll just mention some of my thoughts:
- Really happy to see the JPOG spinosaur in this level, although it seems his textures are somewhat misaligned? Might have to look into fixing that if we decide to do any skins for him. Also glad to see the ceratosaur rigged and working - if only he had proper fingers. :? It also looks as if the cerato has broken smoothing groups as well. :? The various animal models were interesting, if a bit low-detail. There's still definitely room for them in future levels, though. The JPOG goat really shows its age at this close of a distance.
- After seeing the backpack, I wonder if perhaps there might be a way via .NUT scripting to use it as a sort of inventory? Or maybe even without a .NUT script? Perhaps when you put it in your hands, you are teleported to an inventory area or something. Of course it would take up your back slot so it's not a perfect idea...
- Not sure if those gun models were all in the Armoury or not..? Either way, was pretty happy to find some WW2 weapons (STG44, MG34, Luger pistol, MP40) - we need more of those in Trespasser!
- Looking at the working car in TresEd, gotta say, that's a really, really clever idea you came up with to make the car "drivable". I recall seeing a video of yours that showed another car, I'm wondering if it works the same way?
- The tank with rotating turret - simple but always cool to see executed! Same goes for the spinning door! :D
- Lastly, theeee dolphin in the pool just sort of bounced there for me. It seems there's a trigger to make it "jump", but it didn't really do anything?
That is all! A very nifty test level with some cool models and interesting concepts, which I'm sure could be (or, more likely, HAVE been *cough* Pens *cough*) put to use in future levels. Really want to see how far we can take this drivable car thing...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:Alright, gave this a quick look, think I did most there was to do.
There's nothing "to do" per se, it's just a test level. I kept adding various things I wanted to test into it. Until I had to use a new level file because it was becoming to cluttered.
There's some really neat stuff in here, I'm glad you decided to release it! I find it hard to do a competent full review of a test level (Besides, Draco already covered it pretty well!), so I'll just mention some of my thoughts:
- Really happy to see the JPOG spinosaur in this level, although it seems his textures are somewhat misaligned? Might have to look into fixing that if we decide to do any skins for him. Also glad to see the ceratosaur rigged and working - if only he had proper fingers. :? It also looks as if the cerato has broken smoothing groups as well. :? The various animal models were interesting, if a bit low-detail.
That Rhino was my very first attempt at rigging some other creature.
There's still definitely room for them in future levels, though. The JPOG goat really shows its age at this close of a distance.
- After seeing the backpack, I wonder if perhaps there might be a way via .NUT scripting to use it as a sort of inventory? Or maybe even without a .NUT script? Perhaps when you put it in your hands, you are teleported to an inventory area or something. Of course it would take up your back slot so it's not a perfect idea...
Actually, the idea is placing various things inside it before loading it on your back... but the problem is physics interactions between whatever you put and the backpack's "walls".
- Not sure if those gun models were all in the Armoury or not..?
They all are. This was from before I finished rigging them all (and some of them look flat because whoever made them used different scale factors along the various axes, but when I imported them into the game, they all became the same as Trespasser uses a single scale factor. I had to correct that and re-import them later.
Either way, was pretty happy to find some WW2 weapons (STG44, MG34, Luger pistol, MP40) - we need more of those in Trespasser!
Be patient. ;)
- Looking at the working car in TresEd, gotta say, that's a really, really clever idea you came up with to make the car "drivable". I recall seeing a video of yours that showed another car, I'm wondering if it works the same way?
Oh, yeah. And it's the same Shelby Cobra, actually, only placed in a different level ("The Motor Pool").
- The tank with rotating turret - simple but always cool to see executed!
I had to move the turret's pivot to match the axis around which the turret shoulld rotate. And make sure the Y axis was along the gun barrel.
By that time, the ATX ActionType to remotely fire a gun didn't exist yet... but now I can finally use it.
Same goes for the spinning door! :D
The only problem with that one is that the original model is HUGE! I had to scale it down to like 1/1000 its original size...
- Lastly, theeee dolphin in the pool just sort of bounced there for me. It seems there's a trigger to make it "jump", but it didn't really do anything?
I haven't figured out why it isn't working properly... maybe it happened after I resaved the level.
That is all! A very nifty test level with some cool models and interesting concepts, which I'm sure could be (or, more likely, HAVE been *cough* Pens *cough*) put to use in future levels.
Some have, others haven't.
Really want to see how far we can take this drivable car thing...
I should take the time to re-visit that concept... Drac suggested some possibilities.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Actually, the idea is placing various things inside it before loading it on your back... but the problem is physics interactions between whatever you put and the backpack's "walls".
Just use 'int Phase = 1' for the backpack and '2' for the items. Oh wait...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Did not notice this in-game, will have to look at that further, then. There's got to be a way to do it. Would the objects also fall out of the pack when you flip it over to put it on your back?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Would the objects also fall out of the pack when you flip it over to put it on your back?
I'm pretty sure they would explode all over the place....