Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Island Mod

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Just a note... While filming Chaotician Drac, I discovered that GUIApp CE reaaally does not like certain large sizes of terrain objects, even ones only as big as say twice the Terminus wall area, and I suspect this is why they were removed for final retail versions of the game. :\ I also seem to recall a suspicion about the engine being okay with the large size but not if AIs were around. Basically large trnobjs being a contributor to engine crash condition.
Weeeeird...especially considering that the game doesn't seem to mind those huge Base terrain objects. Maybe it has something to do with the polycount of said TrnObj?
GUIApp will report terrain objects that are too big. It will also report on objects that it finds having large coordinates even tho they appear fine ingame. Even retail Trespasser uses tons of larger terrain objects, way larger than the Terminus wall area. It appears to give a warning of any terrain object that is more than 100 verts.
"WARNING: TerrainObj (TrnObj_DeepOcean-00) is too complex! 354 vertices, 118 faces."
"!ERROR!: Stfoundation00-00 Has very large texture co-ordinates, Material #2!!!"
"WARNING: TerrainObj (TrnObjB_TMrocky01a01-00) is too large! 346553.906250 square meters."

GUIApp was probably used to debug meshes as well, as it reports "issues" on things that have no effect ingame. However, it does give useful debug info a lot of time that GeomAdd does not. Trespasser also doesn't seem to like small physics boxes and will warn of any that "is smaller than 0.01 m". Which is funny cause using meter is clearly used because the science community uses meters/cm and not inches/feet in the US. Cause objects were clearly made using inches and not centimetres.

It also reports (not warning or error) on any mesh that is have more than 300 poly and any object that does not have "detail reduced version" aka LOD.

Then anything that does not include -00 it report as "Cannot instance XX, no ideal name." where XX is the object, like Anne or triggers.

It comes down in knowing what it actually mean with the error and warning, and if it have any effect ingame. Of course, personally I try to fix any error or warning cause it looks cleaner, and I like to think it reduce issues in some way ;) Maybe at some point I will write a small debug guide for using GUIApp CE and what various errors and warning means.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hey guys, I would like you to vote on the poll I've added when you got time.

TI and I are unsure which way to go here so we are asking for your input. At the moment the first part TresSouth, which contain Beach, Jungle Road, Plantation House, Industrial Jungle and Town is starting to get finished. Most stuff is placed and I am currently working on implementing the voiceovers in a better order across the levels.
One thing we are unsure of however is what to do with the weapons and dinosaurs. At least my vision with this mod is to reduce the amount of shooter it is at times and the amount of weapons. Right now it is too easy to kill dinosaurs and you can easily bunny jump away from them. I want the game to focus more on the dinosaurs being deadlier (and at the same time fewer of them, specially raptors) and more focus on the story and exploration. However, we want your input if you would like to see this in the first release or at a later date.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

My main opinion is that the number of dinosaurs and weapons was made so high for the retail release because it was about the only feature left in the game which actually worked and provided sufficient entertainment for players in most areas. So, my vote is No.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I say leave them as they are right now, since you aren't changing terrain textures, foliage, buildings, or anything else, otherwise, gameplay will change from the original.
If at a later point you make a newer version with updated textures and plants (think something with the look of RTJP), there you can rearrange the distribution of dinosaurs and weapons...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:I say leave them as they are right now, since you aren't changing terrain textures, foliage, buildings, or anything else, otherwise, gameplay will change from the original.
If at a later point you make a newer version with updated textures and plants (think something with the look of RTJP), there you can rearrange the distribution of dinosaurs and weapons...
That's the idea! We plan on doing a second release which will contain a LOT of big changes, one of which will be updated dino + weapon placement, among many others which I won't spoil yet.

tatu and I are still on the fence about it, so everyone's input would be great here! :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:My main opinion is that the number of dinosaurs and weapons was made so high for the retail release because it was about the only feature left in the game which actually worked and provided sufficient entertainment for players in most areas. So, my vote is No.
While I can understand this, I think Beach to LAB is interesting enough that it would be possible to reduce the amount of dinosaur fighting you do, however for AS and SUM I can see it can get boring without.
I say leave them as they are right now, since you aren't changing terrain textures, foliage, buildings, or anything else, otherwise, gameplay will change from the original.
Well there are still some changes done as we're combining different versions. It will look a bit different overall.
Oh god I will never do anything that would make me redo all the foliage height, that is nothing I have interest into doing. :P

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Oh god I will never do anything that would make me redo all the foliage height, that is nothing I have interest into doing. :P
If I were going to do something like that, I'd scrap all the foliage and start from scratch. Hand-placing foliage takes forever, but it's both tidier and easier to get right the first time around.

Actually, on that note:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Retail foliage remakes, anyone? :wink: I made them for RTJP, but they have the same scale, pivot and orientation as the originals so that you can just plug them in as instant replacers with GeomAdd.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Actually, on that note:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Retail foliage remakes, anyone? :wink: I made them for RTJP, but they have the same scale, pivot and orientation as the originals so that you can just plug them in as instant replacers with GeomAdd.
That's a great idea, and though I've applied it when working on my own levels (updating meshes I had made for them with a better version), it didn't occur to me to do that with the retail levels... basically, you only need to replace the base mesh in the basement with another one with the same name, and it will instantly apply to all the clones...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Meh I prefer the originals.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Meh I prefer the originals.
I honestly like the originals a lot as well, however I made these new ones as the old ones just didn't look right next to the RTJP plants with their low-res textures and small polycounts. These ones are still low-poly (though a bit more detailed) and have HD textures with normalmaps.
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Meh I prefer the originals.
I honestly like the originals a lot as well, however I made these new ones as the old ones just didn't look right next to the RTJP plants with their low-res textures and small polycounts. These ones are still low-poly (though a bit more detailed) and have HD textures with normalmaps.
I like both? I would say it all depends. These wouldn't look too great beside original asset as you would know they are fan made and you are not used to them. However it would work if everything around it was redone and fit with it. :)

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: I like both? I would say it all depends. These wouldn't look too great beside original asset as you would know they are fan made and you are not used to them. However it would work if everything around it was redone and fit with it. :)
Yes, that would be the way to go, if anyone ever plans to release an "updated" Trespasser.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'd say TI's Tres HD does that. I have to admit it looks nice. Just wish the animating palms worked better.
tatu

Post by tatu »

ImageImageImage

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I'd say TI's Tres HD does that. I have to admit it looks nice. Just wish the animating palms worked better.
Alright, fine...next time every leaf will be an induvidual object with a pusher object next to it that pulses gently every few seconds to simulate wind. We'll have induvidual blades of grass as seperate objects, palm trees pushing 10000 polys - just the starting beach will contain more objects than all of JPDS combined. Trespasser HD, HD - coming sometime in the next 65 million years. :P

On topic, those pictures look good, tatu. There's nothing cooler than looking from one level straight into the next.