Optimizing terrain in TresEd

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Optimizing terrain in TresEd

Post by Teromen »

Is there a quicker way than just rolling the mouse around to increase the size of the squares? Like a selection tool? Or some trick in max, like a custom optimization script? It takes frickin forever. lol
Attachments
TPass002.jpg
TPass002.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 8077 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Optimizing terrain in TresEd

Post by TheIdiot »

Teromen wrote:Is there a quicker way than just rolling the mouse around to increase the size of the squares? Like a selection tool? Or some trick in max, like a custom optimization script? It takes frickin forever. lol
As far as I know, we don't have a specific script for that. You can try Optimizer or ProOptimizer in Max, but it the polys will get pulled off of the grid and Tres will probably end up messing with some, but definitely not all, of the optimization from the Max export. Still, it would definitely save time. Fixing it in TresEd is probably the safest option, though time consuming. There is no selection tool or anything like that in TresEd, unfortunately, so yeah, rolling the mouse is going to be the only way. :?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heheh, TI is correct. Another method is, as I've mentioned elsewhere, to start out with a rather small heightmap image, creating less initial detail regardless of the ingame terrain size. TBH, though, I find terrain quad fixing can be.. theraputic. Tres editing has a lot of stress in some aspects but quad editing, with some music on, can be a way to break away from all that and just let things do themselves as your mind wanders.. like a mini vacation.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Heheh, TI is correct. Another method is, as I've mentioned elsewhere, to start out with a rather small heightmap image, creating less initial detail regardless of the ingame terrain size. TBH, though, I find terrain quad fixing can be.. theraputic. Tres editing has a lot of stress in some aspects but quad editing, with some music on, can be a way to break away from all that and just let things do themselves as your mind wanders.. like a mini vacation.
Haha completely agree with this, exactly what I do when I don't feel like doing any real designing. Except rather than have the mind wander, I tend to focus entirely on the music and sort of edit to the tempo...nothing like some metal or punk rock to aid in speedy terrain editing. :P Regardless, however, the patching process is undoubtedly quite time consuming. I do think it would be nice to have a drag-select tool to get this done much faster, but what we have right now is more than reasonable.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

My experience is that. If the terrain is outside the player area (and outside the visible bound), use the tool to flatter those areas and save the terrain. TresEd usually decreases the quads itself in some areas that way.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

...That works too. Or, that works ta-too... :P
tatu

Post by tatu »

Another tip: holding down the RIGHT mouse button in quad mode and move around will also make them bigger, and you of course need to start with the smallest quads.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."