TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 am 
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Can anyone go over the basic "convert" process for fan created terrains to make them playable. I believe you use GuiApp or something and the trr and tri tools.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 am 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=10879

:)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 am 
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Thanks. I didn't know I could create the terrain in 3dsmax and then import into TresEd.

I'm gonna try an optimize routine and see if it imports correctly. If that works then frame rates will be a LOT better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm 

I hope it helped you somewhat :)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:12 pm 
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Actually I couldn't find the source code tools so I did it another way.

I used the 3dsmax trr export script, then guiapp(run as administrater) to convert to a wtd then rename it to match the map name. At least I think that's what I did, it was last night so its hard to remember exactly. Worked like a charm.

Attachments:
TPass000.jpg
TPass000.jpg [ 74.54 KiB | Viewed 3462 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm 

Yes, the .trr script by machf is fine if you don't have the source code tools (as you need to find the source code somewhere to get them). Glad you got it to work :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:20 am 
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Thanks guys. I've made a lot of progress so far. Feel free to check out my demo map. I'm using it for learning the tools.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:06 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Wow, that image looks very close to how TutLev1 was intended to look.. Might have to make it different now.. *applauds you for psychic theft*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:39 pm 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

How can I import the terrain in .tpm format to 3ds max with their respective textures?

Or

How can I export the terrain from TresEdit with its textures and then be imported into 3ds max?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:31 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

As it goes, Trespasser creates the massive terrain texture by rendering a combined version of all the large and small textured "terrain objects" and using this during gameplay. This all-in-one version of the texture only exists in the game itself and cannot be extracted with any utility.

To date, I've not heard of anyone successfully getting an all-in-one Tres terrain texture image. However, if you have skill or can get someone else who does to do it for you, in theory you could do it like this:
  • In TresEd, click the landscape button or go to "Terrain > Draw Terrain Objects"
  • Go to "Visibility > Select All"
  • Go to "File > Export Selection as TPM"
  • In 3DS Max, load the "tpmimport2.ms"* max script
  • Use the script to import the TPM file you made earlier
  • Set one of the viewports to "Isometric", so that no perspective is applied
  • Zoom out to such a distance that the entirety of the terrain objects are visible (may take some adjusting)
  • Render the scene from this viewport at whatever resolution you desire; I recommend allowing for a black (empty) outline around the terrain objects as a whole and then cutting it out in photoshop, afterwards taking steps to create image dimensions which fit what remains

*Trespasser's max scripts may be found on the main site or in the "MaxScripts" folder of Trespasser Twilight (linked in my signature)