Severnaya

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Severnaya

Post by Nick3069 »

Severnaya is the level I've been working on for roughly 2 years. It is based on the level Surface from Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64. It is a sequel of sorts to that game where you play as Natalya, who has been recruited by MI6 and has been tasked to return to Severnaya due to unusual activity in the area while agent 007 is off on another mission.

The level is meant to tie the Jurassic Park universe with the James Bond universe, specifically Trespasser and Goldeneye 007, respectively. I won't spoil the whole story here, but lets just say Natalya ends up fighting some dinosaurs. :P

I was hoping I'd be able to release this complete project by the time Goldeneye 64 released on Nintendo Switch Online and Xbox Game Pass, but that deadline has come and gone. The level is currently in an Alpha stage, you can explore the play area, but there is no ending and most of the buildings are missing. I'm releasing it now because, in the event that I don't finish the level, I want to share what I've done so far.
https://app.box.com/s/sw7k32kvcjrmsk1asxq9kwzo30mrimq0
This level requires TresCE and can be installed by placing it in your mod folder and setting it as the active mod.

Enjoy. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nick3069 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Severnaya

Post by machf »

Going to donwload it and take a look maybe later...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

This is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Trespasser Mods ever made. The fact that not only the level itself looks like N64 GoldenEye (or I guess I should say the XBLA version?), but the menu does too?? You really went the extra mile with that :P .
Spoiler: show
Even in an unfinished state the level is looking pretty awesome. I love all the new weapons and easter eggs, and I'll definitely be putting some of those books in the community level. The only crash I had was near the unfinished silo area, but it was after I had visited all the other huts. I liked all the raptor encounters in the level. Very challenging but not annoying. My only gripes would be the backtracking can get a little boring. I found myself travelling over the paths through the snow. Also, the dead body that you find in one of the huts looks really rough. If you want I can make a better, more realistic corpse model. Also, the tv with the remote is absolute genius! Do you plan to add a little .bmp animation on the tv when you "turn it on" with the remote? :wink:
WOW, I just found the Dr. Alvarez name plaque in TresEd. This really is a love letter to both Bond and Jurassic Park
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just checked this out, interesting level so far. I know absolutely nothing about GoldenEye and am not a James Bond fan so I feel like I'm probably not a member of your target audience, I'm afraid. I'm intrigued to see what the rest of the buildings you plan on adding will be like as what's there so far is neat - a nuclear silo sounds really cool, and I really like the custom sky. I do find the level very bare (the use of snow is refreshing as always) but of course I'm guessing this is meant to mimic an N64 game, and the level isn't completed yet. Quite a unique start though and I'd like to check it out when it's done! I feel like Anne needs a custom Russian voice for the character (who I'm guessing is meant to be a Soviet spy?). :D
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

TrespasserGuy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:15 pm This is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Trespasser Mods ever made. The fact that not only the level itself looks like N64 GoldenEye (or I guess I should say the XBLA version?), but the menu does too?? You really went the extra mile with that :P .
Thank you for the high praise. 😄
I'll have to look into that, the only times the level has crashed for me in its current state was when I would try to put all the books on the ground which overloads the physics engine.

That's the same dead body

I've considered changing the location of the key so its in the neighboring hut to reduce backtracking, but the key's current location is where it is in Goldeneye, so I'm not sure

The corpse is the same one from Christmas Crisis, which has since appeared in many other levels. I don't think it looks that bad, but if you want to provide a better one, then I'll accept your help.

Yes, I did intend for the remote to interact with the TV.
TheIdiot wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:47 am Just checked this out, interesting level so far. I know absolutely nothing about GoldenEye and am not a James Bond fan so I feel like I'm probably not a member of your target audience, I'm afraid.
Honestly, I'm not a huge James Bond fan myself either, I just really loved the Goldeneye game. I don't think you need to know much about the James Bond franchise to appreciate my level, but it definitely helps if you do.
I feel like Anne needs a custom Russian voice for the character (who I'm guessing is meant to be a Soviet spy?). :D
To provide a little context, Natalya is a Russian programmer and the Bond girl of Goldeneye. She used to work at the Sevenaya bunker and she was captured by the Janus terrorist group when they took over the bunker. Bond is the one who saves her and she joins him on the rest of his mission to take down Janus.
In my level she officially joins MI6, the British secret service

Thank you, hopefully you'll be able to play the complete version soon, but don't hold your breath. 😅
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooooooooooo since this is an alpha level, I decided to just play through part of it. I really like what I've seen.
The menu is quite cool. Haven't seen such a customized version in a long time. The new music is also great.

Nice to have another Winter level. I enjoyed the snow-maze part, that's something we haven't seen before. The new models were great to have a look at; I enjoyed that the TV remote worked, but was disappointed that it didn't turn the TV on. Tried the VHS on the player, no luck. Did I miss something?
'Nyways it's great to have a long-time TresComer make another new level. Thanks for sharing! Maybe we'll see the final version this Winter... 8)
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:16 pm'Nyways it's great to have a long-time TresComer make another new level. Thanks for sharing! Maybe we'll see the final version this Winter... 8)
Thanks for checking out my level, Drac. Hopefully by winter, but no promises.
I wouldn't call it a maze, more like a branching path with big snow banks on either side.
The TV remote doesn't quite work yet. All it does for now is fire invisible bullets that do no damage. which will activate physics objects, funnily enough. I'm trying to figure a way to make it turn on the TV in a way so it doesn't turn on with guns.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm.
Is there a reason it needs to be a CGun? Regular hold magnets and a trigger to detect it being used would do the trick.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Nick3069 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:15 am
I wouldn't call it a maze, more like a branching path with big snow banks on either side.
The TV remote doesn't quite work yet. All it does for now is fire invisible bullets that do no damage. which will activate physics objects, funnily enough. I'm trying to figure a way to make it turn on the TV in a way so it doesn't turn on with guns.
I think you can do this using a CObjectTrigger, so that when you "use" the remote the TV can display an unhidden image, and you can make it better with a location trigger that sets a variable trigger so that the remote only works if you're in the same room as the TV.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Just be careful of CVariableTrigger. It doesn't get recorded right in savegames. You should be able to get something working, though, using "crate triggers". See TptDac's TheFourTowers for examples...
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Ah, so instead of only setting variable trigger values to true or false, I should use objects and location triggers to keep track of values? I've never messed with variable triggers before, so I will look for examples.
TV remotes, especially older ones, need to be pointed at the TV to work, that's why I felt a CGun made more sense. If it is just a UseObject trigger then it would turn on the TV even when pointing at the opposing wall, same thing with a location trigger.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I totally missed this in a news post last year so I have now included it and added it to the download section. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

tatu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:51 pm I totally missed this in a news post last year so I have now included it and added it to the download section. :)
. . . and I wasn't even aware of this level. I wasn't around during the summer but now that I have the time, I'll have to give it a play.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, I didn't finish playing this when it was released. Just went around in the level, think I saw everything. Pretty neat. Forgot that some TresCom20 things like books came from here.

Nice use of the snow environment. Hadn't seen that black&white raptor before. Wondering what the giant hole is about. Also, there was a building I couldn't get into...

We have snow here in Portland. We get it about once a Winter. Who all here has snow? For some reason I was too bored to make the snow-dino I've been planning... We suddenly went from weeks of 40-50 degrees F to 20. I'm surprised the snow stuck.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

tatu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:51 pmI totally missed this in a news post last year so I have now included it and added it to the download section. :)
Thanks for the feature, tatu! I thought it hadn't been featured because it was just an alpha release.

Draconisaurus wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:35 pmHadn't seen that black&white raptor before.
Which one? There are 2 of SI's JP3 female raptors, the Primal Prey raptor, and a black and white version of the TC Isle raptor. That last one is the one I made for this level.
Draconisaurus wrote:Wondering what the giant hole is about.
That's where the big satellite dish building is meant to go. EDIT: Unless you meant the deep pit with the water, that's where the ventilation tower goes.
Draconisaurus wrote:Also, there was a building I couldn't get into...
One of them is locked, you need the find the key to unlock it.
Draconisaurus wrote:We have snow here in Portland. We get it about once a Winter. Who all here has snow? For some reason I was too bored to make the snow-dino I've been planning... We suddenly went from weeks of 40-50 degrees F to 20. I'm surprised the snow stuck.
Well we've been having a unusually warm winter so far and didn't have any snow at Christmas, but we've now had 2 snow storms since the year has started. Old man winter finally showed up and he wasn't happy. :lol: