Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: MinePass

Post by Double_G »

Draconisaurus wrote:Don't suppose ye could do a video walkthrough at some point..
This is absolutely beautiful. I'm not really that much into Minecraft but I would love to try out this level
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Duuude. It's a mod of a mod inside a mod of an original Tres level. (Minecraft - TownBuildings - Demo - PV). Fascinating and fun to see. Why no Ops Center though? And what was the inspiration for this particular combination of things?
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Draconisaurus wrote:Duuude. It's a mod of a mod inside a mod of an original Tres level. (Minecraft - TownBuildings - Demo - PV). Fascinating and fun to see. Why no Ops Center though? And what was the inspiration for this particular combination of things?
Glad you enjoyed the first in a planned series of showcases as more areas become "completed". As for the inspiration for this setup it actually was made possible by a poor design choice I made when I was building the plains that resulted in, I think its like 200 block, gap, when viewed from the grid map. Ironically this worked out great for PV as I had essentially created a blank space to put the "demo area" and still be able to have the beginning of the actual level with the features it has.

Now for what is exactly going on here, this area was inspired by an unused line on page 24 of Hammond's original script, detailing how their buildings were outposts in a primal world. As we see in the demo the helipads are in an enclosed area but there's a lot of unused space that leaves the whole thing strange and not worth exploring. Now I had already mentioned a desire to have the original town model and the one we see in the movie but due to its small size the ops center would look out of place. So I decided to cut the ops center and bring as much of the village set here to create a small outpost.

The lore behind this setup is that due to the need to have workers continuously monitoring the geo and dam facilities Ingen established a small settlement at a viable geo hotspot that served both as a living quarters and resupply point. A garage was setup to provide fuel and maintenance of vehicles. The helipads provided a landing point for supplies and other needs. The kilm held the various controls for the local plant and its topmost level served as a excellent look out tower. The kilm was connected to the boarding house by a small extension that was little more than a hallway. The boarding house was a two story structure that contained the living quarters, on the first level, and radio equipment and monitors for the colonies power plant along with a few recreations such as a pool table and dart board, on the second level.

Well that pretty much covers this section, and I suppose this could serve a retcon of the village events as all the various structure areas are here including Malcom's car, the hole in the kilm, and Sara's landing. I even include the busted car that had the telephone pole fall on, in development I ended up using a fallen tree instead of having one of the helipads guard rails as it fit the distance and looked better in build. But as for where nick was I guess you could say he was busy maintaining contact with Ingen Harvest Base and used the back entrance to sneak around the chaos to signals the chopper before yelling for the others.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Looks really cool. I see you are using a controller at least for this video. Did you build all this with a controller? If so, really impressive :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

That's pretty neat, though I personally would have liked it better had you stuck just with the demo stuff and not added in those town buildings...maybe instead I would have just replaced the final stretch of the Town's main street with the movie-accurate version. Still, looks really good, and you can definitely identify what everything is supposed to be despite the game's primitive graphics. I'm eager to see the Geo Plant and Lab!

Is the whole island one continuous map, so you can walk from Beach to Summit without changing levels? That's something I don't think we'll ever succeed in doing in Trespasser, sadly.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh I wanted to congratulate you on a nice recreation of the inside of that two-story wooden building from the film town set. I have rarely seen its interior made out; even hppav/Sam's recreating did not include this detail. It's nice to see it manifested in some form. 8)
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Tatu yes I built everything including the mountains with a controller, however I just tried my hand at MCEdit In editing and after alot of trial and error I managed to copy the mountain segment in the lowlands and flipped, mirrored, and cloned it. Now the Town has it's side and rear hills, saved A LOT of time but I wish I had at least finished the original as I had to manually add the grass cover afterwards :lol:, all well next time I'll get it right.

TheIdiot I can see where you are coming from, the helipads by themselves would have had a more mysterious air to them, instead I removed the wonder aspect and said what this is. Hopefully that will be the only major creative liberty I will take as I do want this to be as close to the developers vision as possible. And YES this will literally be a complete island, there will be openings to go to other areas or in some cases teased about what is out there. I always wanted this map to both serve adventures and those that just want this to be there survival world.

Draconisaurus Thanks, the film and the connector were by far the most frustrating thing I've had the misfortune in re-creating. Even stepping through the scenes barley helps grasping the layout, and the connector is just weird. I might make a separate topic where I go into detail like my previous two, I still need to update the EA topic :mrgreen:.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Just a quick little update about where the project is at. Firstly you can kiss the day's of manually building terrain goodbye as I now have a system set-up that allows me to use World Paint, it's not perfect but it works.

I'll update this post with a pic later, gotta get back to painting 8->.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Neato, and using maxscripts to export terrain, I presume.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

No, I looked at using the island height map in world paint but couldn't figure out how to scale it and besides that the game has a Max build height of 256 and ground level is 63 so there's that issue.
And my buildings go over the allotted space according to the grid map, the harbor and the town are both out of line and it's just easier to have that extra wiggle room from building the terrain yourself then trying to mash it in.

A little while before I joined there was a guy who did do that but that's been several years ago and I don't think the project is even on planetmincraft anymore, shame I would have liked to see how our builds compared :cry:.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Sorry for not getting that pic posted but alot has been happening with life but the project is still alive and well.

So as far as what's been going on I've been essentially finishing the island terrain wise and it has been a slow and tedious process, but it's getting there. I've also had to change the biomes on the forest side of the island from mega taiga to just forest, apparently even mega taiga's generate snow at certain heights and the other "outposts" have been changed to mushroom biome so as to prevent any mobs/animals spawning. The lowlands aren't going to be as big as I had originally envisioned but I think I can still get the general theme I was going for. This next part I have to give credit to s13n1 as I originally saw this on his trespassing remake, the aviary and river will be about where he placed them more or less, the marina will actually exist, look at the JP3 board game for a general concept idea. The PL are also receiving a micro make over but it's still going to be a creative liberty one.

While on the subject is the terrain color seen in dracs level genuine or custom?
tatu

Post by tatu »

MinePass wrote:While on the subject is the terrain color seen in dracs level genuine or custom?
Which level?

Nice to see this project is still going :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

tatu wrote:Which level?
The Plains, in Dracs level the terrain is a tanish color. I was wanting to know in case I decide to change that areas biome from Savannah (tan grass) to plains (green grass).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

MinePass wrote:
tatu wrote:Which level?
The Plains, in Dracs level the terrain is a tanish color. I was wanting to know in case I decide to change that areas biome from Savannah (tan grass) to plains (green grass).
We can't say for sure. Draco's level is based mostly on objects we have from a very early level which doesn't really correspond with anything we know geographically about the plains. I'd say the closest approximation to the Plains environment would be Dam valley that comes after the Town as that area was originally part of the PL level.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

I think I know what level your talking about, I have two levels marked Pl on my computer. the first just consisted of white terrain and the .bpm was just weird. I tried twice porting into world paint and I couldn't make heads or tails out of it.